Empire Builder To Get Fresh New Look

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
Ok, Ok I know most of you know the Builder is getting relaunched already, but here it is officially from the Amtrak site:

July 12, 2005  Amtrak Builds on a Good Thing: Empire Builder to Get Fresh New Look

Coming August 2005... A New Experience  

WASHINGTON - The Empire Builder, long one of America's favorite trains, will get a fresh new look beginning August 2005. The changes are the start of a major initiative at Amtrak to improve passengers' on-board experience on long-distance trains and improve the trains' financial performance, as well.

Passengers will soon be treated to a new on- board experience as the Empire Builder travels across eight states, from Chicago to Seattle and Portland. The new look will include refurbished rail cars, new on-board services and improved passenger amenities.

"We're pleased to dedicate Amtrak's newly refurbished train equipment to the Empire Builder as part of our overall effort to enhance long distance train travel," said Amtrak President David L. Gunn. "The result will be even stronger demand for the service and a better financial performance. The Empire Builder is already one of Amtrak's most popular trains, serving nearly half-a-million passengers annually."

The Empire Builder travels through some of America's greatest scenery. The train traverses portions of the upper Mississippi River valley, crosses the northern plains and offers superb vistas as it wends its way through the Rocky Mountains, Washington State's Cascades Range and miles of seascapes along Puget Sound and the Columbia River Gorge. Along the way, top leisure travel destinations abound, including Wisconsin Dells, Glacier National Park and Montana's Big Mountain ski area.

"The Empire Builder's scenic highlights and popular destinations, combined with strong community support all along the route, will be a major marketing boost for the overall enhanced service of an already popular train ride," said Barbara Richardson, Amtrak Vice President, Marketing and Sales.

From Departure to Destination, a Unique Experience

All passengers will notice a difference the moment they step on board the Empire Builder. First class passengers - those with sleeping accommodations, which include dining car meal service - will be welcomed aboard with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine or cider.

As a new feature, on the second day of the trip, passengers will be invited to attend on-board wine and cheese tasting events in the lounge car featuring Wisconsin and Minnesota cheeses and Washington State wines.

Dining aboard a moving train is an experience rich in history. Aboard the Empire Builder, several special menu items have been created by the Amtrak culinary team to closely match the original recipes of the Great Northern Railway. At supper time, along with the delicious regular Amtrak menu items, passengers will be invited to enjoy special entrees recalling the train's lore: Braised Salmon Shank with horseradish and cauliflower puree, Great Northern Baked Ham with sweet citrus sauce and English Beefsteak Pot Pie with braised tomatoes and white mushrooms.

At night, train attendants will encourage sweet dreams by offering a bedtime treat of a freshly baked cookie or similar goodie to first class passengers.

Coach passengers will receive a higher level of service on board the Empire Builder starting this August, too. Coach passengers will be offered at-seat food and beverage service. In the Lounge Car, an upstairs snack bar is being added in the peak seasons to serve light food and beverages. Passengers will also be invited to check out a wide variety of popular games to play, including Monopoly®, Trivial Pursuit ®, and Chutes and Ladders®.

New Equipment

The interiors of the sleeping cars have received extensive renovations featuring a new blue and white color scheme and Blossom Cherry wood grain laminates. Blue hues also adorn cushions, carpets and drapery. The bedrooms have newly designed and modern-looking toilet and shower units. These units match the interior color scheme and the sink vanity has a solid surface countertop. The same color scheme provides a much brighter room in the new public area toilets on the lower level of the cars. The public shower has been re-designed to better address passenger needs. The new shower has a larger changing area that includes a large seat and vanity with mirror and a seat in the shower area.

In the lounge car, one end has been changed to create improved seat groupings. These small seat groups have new small drink tables positioned between them. Dining tables and booths have been added to the other end. The interiors of the coach and dining cars have also been refurbished.

Expanded Trails and Rails programs

Another on-board enhancement of the Empire Builder service will be the expansion of the Trails and Rails program, presented during daylight hours between Chicago and Seattle/Portland, offering en-route lectures about the culture, geography and history of the Great Plains. Trails and Rails is an innovative partnership between the National Park Service and Amtrak designed to encourage sightseers who are not traditional National Park visitors to explore the natural and cultural aspects of several regions of the country.

In July, a new Trails and Rails program debuts on board the Empire Builder between Chicago and St. Paul, Minn., featuring information on the Mississippi River and the wonderful state and national parks throughout the region. Passengers may enjoy these informational talks delivered by interpretive rangers every weekend through the middle of September.

Beginning in August, the Trails and Rails program will be extended on board the Empire Builder near Williston, N.D., (eastbound) and Browning, Mont., (westbound). Passengers will be offered hot chocolate during a "campfire-like" setting where the Trails and Rails program will continue to discuss the wonders of the surrounding area.

The Story of the Empire Builder

Named for Great Northern Railway founder James J. Hill, the first Empire Builder departed Chicago on June 10, 1929. Originally, the Empire Builder was operated by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad from Chicago to St. Paul. From St. Paul, it was operated entirely by the Great Northern Railway (now part of the BNSF Railway) to Seattle and Portland, making the trip in 63 hours. Today's Empire Builder connects the same cities in just 47 hours.

The Empire Builder is the first train among the railroad's 15 long-distance train services being upgraded. Already a popular route, last year (FY '04) the Empire Builder served more than 437,000 passengers, with ridership up 5.1 percent over the previous fiscal year. The Empire Builder offers daily departures from Chicago (2:15 p.m.) and the west coast (Seattle and Portland sections both at 4:45 p.m.)

Celebrations to Mark New Service

Amtrak will celebrate the new Empire Builder with fun-filled festivities at several of the train's most popular destinations including Seattle, Portland and Chicago on August 21st and Whitefish, Mont., and Minot, N.D., on August 22nd. More information on these events will be announced next month.

About Amtrak

Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail services to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 22,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.
Nice to see service improvements/enhancements for once rather than reductions, hopefully this will reach the other routes soon, especially Silver Service. Now if only we could get the FC packets back and maybe even those wine glasses... :lol:

Am taking the EB from Chicago to Portland next week Friday (the 22nd) , and heading home again on the 8th of August....any chance we will see any of these changes by then??

Coach passengers will receive a higher level of service on board the Empire Builder starting this August, too. Coach passengers will be offered at-seat food and beverage service.
Wow, that's pretty interesting. They're complaining about the high cost of food service and now they want to offer at seat dining? :blink: That's pretty wild.

I am getting excited. We may be taking this train next June. I just wish I could get prices now.

Guest_Gingee said:
I am getting excited. We may be taking this train next June. I just wish I could get prices now.
You should be able to price out a trip on the Builder in June. Can't do July yet, but June prices should be up now.

Really? I tried doing it on-line (to get a price idea) but it says it has to be ll months before.

We want to get a room this time but we aren't sure if our one daughter will be going with us. Otherwise it is just my husband and I and I would like to have my own bathroom. I wonder what is the best way to book far ahead (or should I wait until after the first of the year) not knowing how many people with be going.

Today (7/12) you can book up to June 18, 2006. On the reservations page open the calendar option for inserting the date, move to June 2006, and the dates available for booking will be clickable.

However, I'd probably wait until you are sure how many people are going. But the sooner you can make the reservation, the cheaper the price. So do it as soon as possible.

Well we won't probably know until next Spring. We are hoping that my daughter can stay with someone. It is one of those milestone anniversaries.

I tried to go to the site and it says something about "temporarily not working - try back another time". It has said that for a week or so.

Guest_Gingee said:
Well we won't probably know until next Spring.  We are hoping that my daughter can stay with someone.  It is one of those milestone anniversaries.
Well again, do it as early as possible. From April on, prices for trains in June will rise rapidly. Prior to April there probably won't be much movement, but after that point things will climb fast.

They're also offering double (coach) and triple (1st Class) Guest Rewards points for trips from August through December on the Empire Builder.

I have mixed emotions about this change.

Certainly it will improve the experience of riding the Empire Builder. However, the down side is that by promising newly restored cars on the one train it is making it very unlikely that the better cars will appear on the other trains. And establishing the special amenities just for the EB (similar to the Coast Starlight) also sends the message that the other trains are second rate despite decidedly non-second rate pricing.

If I were paying over $1000 for a bedroom on the Zephyr, I would not be too pleased to learn that I have very little chance of riding an improved car because those cars were dedicated to another train. That while the EB passengers were getting a welcome aboard glass of bubbly, a wine and cheese tasting, and a more imaginative dining experience, I was stuck with the "national menu" and could not even get a free glass of coke in the lounge.

This program, great as it is for the Empire Builder, furthers the problem that Amtrak branding and levels of service vary significantly from locale to locale and train to train despite carrying the same service name. On Amtrak, First Class does not equal First Class and Business Class does not equal Business Class. Step into a McDonalds anywhere in the world and, for better or worse, you know exactly what to expect. On Amtrak what you get for what you pay is a crap shoot.

From what I read on the article, Empire is the FIRST of l5 trains to get remodeled.

carolyn said:
Am taking the EB from Chicago to Portland next week Friday (the 22nd) , and heading home again on the 8th of August....any chance we will see any of these changes by then??
From what I understand, the new service starts August 1. Therefore, you'll be able to sample one of each.

Wow!! This leaves me giddy-headed!!1 What a way to begin a Wednesday.

Just hope Amtrak really has a future and this will go on........maybe this is a good omen???????

I note, with respect, P.R.R's concerns. I just hope Guest Gingee's repsonse comes true, that this is merely the first of the LD trains to be so re-done.

I recall, when Amtrak took iits then-present equipment and converted some of it into "heritage cars" it was done one train at a time. The Broadway Limited naturally, was the first train to be spruced up with HEP and other things and called "heritage". Then, I think the Lake Shore,the SIlver Meteor, The Cresent.............I think the Silver Star was the last.

I distinctly remember being stopped in Philly on the Crescent, shortly after it had been converted to "Heritage". The Silver Star pulled in across the platform from us. I am not sure what was done done to the exterior of the equipment but you could tell the difference., it had not yet been spruced up.

My point is, it was done one train at a time....that seems to be what they are doing here, at least as long as Amtrak holds out.

By the way, I don't see the Great Northern Baked Potato mentioned. That was one of the most advertised items from the old pre-Amtrak EB Maybe they just failed to mention it.

PRR 60: As the new refurbished superliner cars are available there were two options to use:

1. scatter them throughout the system and hope people notice the difference or;

2. gather them all together and create a "new look" train.

Option #2 was chosen, based on a total new look and an attempt to create a better level of service on one "prototype" train - focused on employee training, improved food service (which includes better control of costs) and a new and fresh approach to long distance trains.

If there were enough refurbished cars to cover the entire system, yes the other LDTs would get some new equipment, however if this "experiment" works with the Builder, I am sure the policies and procedures will be implemented throughout the system.

Now this is what train travel should be!!

I'll have to take the EB out to Minot for the celebrations I suppose or maybe Whitefish even.

Would be nice to see these amenities on other trains. Are they continuing to rollout refurbished cars? Some of the trains need a facelift, like the Texas Eagle.

I thought that the EB gets turned to become another train in Chicago (City of New Orleans?). If this is true, that creates some problems. Also, why didn't they create a parlour car like the starlight for first class? Yea I know money and equipment.

The Empire Builder hasn't regularly run through to another route in Chicago for about three years (occasionally they'll send it out on the City of New Orleans if the Texas Eagle is extremely late). The EB's equipment is captive, so, in general, it shouldn't mix with other routes.

I just called a Amtrak and got guesstimates on prices. They said that you could put three people in a deluxe room. Has anyone ever experienced this? It would be my daughter (then l8) me 5-1", and husband. I am starting to get excited again. If she doesn't go, at least we would have that room booked.

BTW, I was wrong in my earlier post. I had mentioned that the EB was known for its Great Baked Potato. Uh Oh---that was its chief rival, Northen Pacific's "North Coast Limited" which was known for that.

The EB and the North Coast Limited were almost as much rivals as the Broadway Limited and the 20th Century Limited. (Even though each was a Chicago, Burlington & Quincy train at the beginning of the trip, from CHI to Twin Ciites.) Thus, it is not cool to get them mixed up.

In reviewing EB history last night, I note l that it was rebuilt as a streamliner first in 1947 and then AGAIN in 1951. ALso a lot of domes and great domes were phased in in 1955. To have that much new equipment thrown at it was quite a deal in those days. Most trains, once streamlined, were not updated quite so much.

I just called a Amtrak and got guesstimates on prices. They said that you could put three people in a deluxe room. Has anyone ever experienced this? It would be my daughter (then l8) me 5-1", and husband. I am starting to get excited again. If she doesn't go, at least we would have that room booked.
I've been in the deluxe bedroom on the EB, but just with my wife. The lower bed, when made up for sleeping is about the size of a standard twin and another 1/3 of a twin. That is, its bigger than a standard twin bed but not as big as a double. If you like to sleep cozy, you can fit two medium size adults on it and one in the top.

Then if daughter doesn't go, you would each have your own bed. Its nice having the comode in a little room as part of the bedroom suite, but I learned to use the shower downstairs. Once that little batroom gets wet from a shower, it stays wet the rest of the trip, it seemed like.

Back