Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sean

Hi There, I was just curious how long the stops are on the empire builder. Ill be going from Seattle to Grand Forks . Could anybody give me an idea what to see on the way?

Thanks

Sean

The length of the stops can range from 1-2 minutes to 30+ minutes, depending on the station. The variables are passenger load, switching moves (Spokane), inspections/refueling, and recovery time built into the schedule.

From SEA to GFK (I think that's the code), the extended stops are Spokane, Whitefish (maybe, not 100% sure, don't remember), Shelby, Havre, and Minot. There could be a couple of others, but I don't remember off the top of my head. It's been nearly a year since I rode 7/8 through flyover country.

As for what to see, you'll get a great view of small towns, mountains, and a river (whose name escapes me at the moment) out of Seattle. In the morning, you'll wake up in Montana, and you'll travel through Glacier Park, which is arguably one of the top 5 scenic stretches in Amtrak's system. Past Glacier Park/Browning, you'll travel through plains pretty much the rest of the way.

24 Stations, including SEA and GFK...

SEA,EDM,EVR,WEN,EPH,SPK,SPT,LIB,WFH,WGL,BRO,CUT,SBY,HAV,MAL,GGW,WPT,WTN,STN,MOT,

UG,DLK,GFK.

Trains are switched at SPK, train crews change at SPK, SBY, MOT, 1500 mile inspection at MOT

Hey Sean,

When are you coming to Grand Forks? I live in Grand Forks where I go to UND. Any particular reason why you are coming? I live about a mile or so from the station. Whenever I don't have a class the next morning, I'll go out to the station to see the Builder come in at 12:54 AM. I like to wait down the tracks in my car, when its still going full speed ahead still. Then I'll chase it, as it leaves town.

But yeah most stops are just long enough to board passengers and bags. If you get a timetable, it will indicate the arrival times and departure times for the longer stops.

Chris

Back