Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've promised myself that this is the year I will take a trip on the Empire Builder. I'd love to go in winter, when there will be snow, but also want to go when the days are longer, so I'm thinking mid-April. Is there a better time?

Which way to go? It seems like either way, an even with longer days, I'm likely to go through the best parts at night -Glacier, Cascades.

What do you think?

Jack

It depends which direction you're wanting to go. And for maximum daylight, of course the best time is in late June, at the beginning of the Summer Solstice. Westbound in mid-April you'll miss a lot of Glacier Park, but should see most if not all of the Cascades. Eastbound, as Yogi Berra would say, it's vice reversa. :lol: Eastbound you'll see all of Glacier in daylight and should see a large part of the Cascades, if the train is on time. And of course if you're heading to/from Portland along the Columbia Gorge, all of the Gorge will be in daylight then if heading westbound. Eastbound you won't be able to see all of it in mid-April. Mid to late June, you should see virtually all of it eastbound.

It depends which direction you're wanting to go. And for maximum daylight, of course the best time is in late June, at the beginning of the Summer Solstice. Westbound in mid-April you'll miss a lot of Glacier Park, but should see most if not all of the Cascades. Eastbound, as Yogi Berra would say, it's vice reversa. :lol: Eastbound you'll see all of Glacier in daylight and should see a large part of the Cascades, if the train is on time. And of course if you're heading to/from Portland along the Columbia Gorge, all of the Gorge will be in daylight then if heading westbound. Eastbound you won't be able to see all of it in mid-April. Mid to late June, you should see virtually all of it eastbound.
Thanks, JayPea.

Looks like eastbound is the way to go. I'll probably go via Seattle - more likely to tie it in with some business there. I've driven the Columbia Gorge, so I'd rather see the more northerly Cascades. Glacier is probably most important to me, since I've heard it is magnificent and I've never been there.

Is the long ride across eastern Montana and North Dakota worthwhile, or should I shorten the train trip and fly home?

Thanks.

You're asking about whether to take the train or fly home on an AMTRAK forum??? :huh: ;) :lol: Just kidding, of course. To me it is. The scenery in eastern Montana and North Dakota isn't the greatest, but it has its own beauty, I think. I don't know where you're heading to from Seattle but it's very well worth it to see the Mississippi River in Minnesota and Wisconsin, if you're going that far. That's would be my personal preference but I also can't speak for anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, JayPea.

Looks like eastbound is the way to go. I'll probably go via Seattle - more likely to tie it in with some business there. I've driven the Columbia Gorge, so I'd rather see the more northerly Cascades. Glacier is probably most important to me, since I've heard it is magnificent and I've never been there.

Is the long ride across eastern Montana and North Dakota worthwhile, or should I shorten the train trip and fly home?

Thanks.
Aloha

I thought, in July that the entire route was fantastic. I rate the EB as my second favorite train.

While eastern Montana and North Dakota are flat and plain, they are definitely beautiful because it just makes you think about how out there you really are. I would love to do the EB again.

April is the month I'd least like to take the Empire Builder. It's the month the Red River is most likely to flood, and you don't want to be bustituted or have your train canceled. I'd pick late May over June. The days are almost as long, and the prairies are green and verdant at that time. I'll maintain that the Great Plains are just as gorgeous as any other scenery -- there's a reason why Montana is called the Big Sky state -- but I'll grant that I'm in the minority on this.

Took the EB in late September a couple of years ago (easbound) and we got the first snow of the season as we passed through Glacier Park (it fell the night before). Made quite an impression on a boy from the sub-tropics.

And where can you fly home from to avoid the boring bits - there doesn't seem to be much population once you clear the continental divide.

"I thought, in July that the entire route was fantastic. I rate the EB as my second favorite train.

GG-1

What is you favorite train and why?

It is dark when you get to Glacier Park the first week of September also.

I agree that the ride through Montana and North Dakota is worthwhile. In fact, I found this to be the most enjoyable part of the trip. There is a beautiful vastness. Our train made an unexpectedly long stop in Shelby so police could haul some guy off the train and I enjoyed looking around the station -- which actually had a functioning phone booth.

Why not do it in March, when there is still snow, and the time changes to longer days. Go eastbound and you're likely to at least see some of the Cascades before it gets dark. Seeing Glacier the next morning is a sure thing. I like Eastern Montana and North Dakota. It's not all flat. I love the mesa's and the plateaus of the area. And going along the Mississippi is a must see as well. So you should stay on during the entire trip to Chicago. Or at least Milwaukee.

I always love the names of the Amtrak stops in Montana: Whitefish, Shelby, Havre, Glasgow, Shelby, among others.

"I thought, in July that the entire route was fantastic. I rate the EB as my second favorite train.GG-1

What is you favorite train and why?

It is dark when you get to Glacier Park the first week of September also.
Aloha

My favorite is the Coast Starlight. Mostly due to the combination of beach running anf mountain area, desert area, along withe the tremendous service Received from the staff.

Just for the record the differences between each train I had the pleasure to ride is not major.

There are certainly parts of North Dakota that are somewhat boring (like the stretch between Minot and Grand Forks), but Eastern Montana/Western North Dakota is a treat to look at. That part of the journey is definitely best in late May/early June when all the prairie flowers are in full-bloom.

The rails take you right along the Missouri/Yellowstone River confluence and between the expansive bluffs that gave this area its famous "big sky country" name. This part of the river is virtually untouched since Lewis and Clark visited over 200 years ago. It's well worth the trip.

missouri_yellowstone_confluence_hills2.jpg

I thought, in July that ... was fantastic.
I've been on the EB in WA, OR, ID, MT, ND, MN, WI and IL - but never in the state of July! Is that on a detour routing? :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aloha

You have that backwards, In July, and A state of mind, all of which was on the EB. Does this mean I am farther out than you? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's nice to see all the kind words about my state here. :)

And I agree ... there's a real beauty to the eastern Montana prairies. I love that part of the state almost as much as the mountains.

That said, though, April's not my favorite month to experience the Empire Builder route. You may or may mot see mountain snow, but there's not likely to be any at track elevation, so it won't really be a winter experience. Farther east, everything will be in shades of brown and grey, waiting to turn green in May. (On the other hand, May can be one of the finest months to make the trip ... it's usually the one month that passes for springtime up there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back