Empire Service Suspended

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
All,

Haven't seen this on the website yet, but wanted to post it here. I just heard from my fiancee, who is supposed to be traveling back to DC from visiting family in Albany, that because of the cold, all Empire Service trains have been canceled for today. I checked the status maps and they still show the trains currently in service moving, so I guess they are just moving them to the major stations (ALB/NYP)? She got this from the station agent in ALB, so it seems pretty finite to me, but wanted to throw it up here for discussion.

Hope everyone's staying warm today!

~ DCTE

All,

Haven't seen this on the website yet, but wanted to post it here. I just heard from my fiancee, who is supposed to be traveling back to DC from visiting family in Albany, that because of the cold, all Empire Service trains have been canceled for today. I checked the status maps and they still show the trains currently in service moving, so I guess they are just moving them to the major stations (ALB/NYP)? She got this from the station agent in ALB, so it seems pretty finite to me, but wanted to throw it up here for discussion.

Hope everyone's staying warm today!

~ DCTE
Yeah, a quick look on Amtrak.com shows every train between NYP and ALB "SOLD OUT"

Posted this morning on amtrak.com:

January 24, 201110:30 am EST

Amtrak's Empire Service between New York City and Albany is temporarily suspended due to the record setting cold temperatures impacting the region this morning.

The sub- zero temperatures have caused some signals, switches and equipment to freeze, and as a precautionary measure, Amtrak has temporarily suspended service between New York City and Albany.

Some alternate bus transportation is being provided.

Amtrak's long distance trains, The Adirondack (New York to Montreal, Lake Shore Limited (New York to Chicago) and Maple Leaf service (New York to Toronto) are scheduled to operate normally.

Additional updates will be issued throughout the day.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

:wacko: Doesnt compute??? Why would the LD trains run (Adirondack and Maple Leaf leave in the AM, maybe the Lake Shore makes sense since it leaves in the PM)but not the Empire service trains, a frozen switch ,equipment etc. is the same for any train unless the New York yard crew have put heaters on the LD equipment or some other trick not apparent? This is a desk jockeys plan to make it look like they are doing real work IMO! :eek: :lol: :help:

If they went the other way and ran the full schedule of trains with massive delays, people would be complaining about "Why didn't they just cancel the trains?"

Sounds like they're doing the right thing, providing buses where feasible and focusing their efforts on getting the long distance trains through.

And yes, it is that cold. It was 8 degrees here in Maryland when I woke up this morning - first time we've been down into the single digits in quite a long time...

It is 9 degree here in Syracuse. Saw a UP express train split in two, west of town, and just east of the train, an CSX MOW crew was out working. So even if the trains were running they would be get jammed up between Syracuse and Rochester.

Easy to quit. No facts but sure CSX made Amtrak call it an day. Not impress with CSX for an long time now. Something about getting chase out of my house for an derailment, right about the time they cut back on MOW personal.

Nice, sunny day here in upstate NY, just don't go out it an bit cold today.

Edit by the poster after my post was edited for an questionable word.

Last edited by a moderator:
:wacko: Doesnt compute??? Why would the LD trains run (Adirondack and Maple Leaf leave in the AM, maybe the Lake Shore makes sense since it leaves in the PM)but not the Empire service trains, a frozen switch ,equipment etc. is the same for any train unless the New York yard crew have put heaters on the LD equipment or some other trick not apparent? This is a desk jockeys plan to make it look like they are doing real work IMO! :eek: :lol: :help:
Jim,

Just like with a major snow storm, reducing the number of trains running means that you don't need to use thw switches as much as you would normally. If you can keep the switches lined for "normal" movements as they call it, meaning going straight, then you can keep some traffic flowing. But if you have to move the switch to its "reverse" position, meaning changing tracks, the chance of failure increases. And if the switch fails to move into either reverse or back to normal after the train passes, now traffic stops moving.

And if you're having signaling problems, that means slow running for everyone, which means big backups and more complications for the dispatchers.

I can verify that the LSL is running out of NYP in 1/24.

A friend who's on it just called around 4:30 PM and said he was passing the Tappan Zee Bridge!
smile.gif
I hope the derailment doesn't affect him - or maybe he will get some rare mileage!
biggrin.gif

The Weather Channel mentioned Amtrak cancellations. Kind of brutal out there. So cold that I almost feel bad about asking my wife to go out to get milk and bread. Just kidding. She asked me. :(

I can verify that the LSL is running out of NYP in 1/24.

A friend who's on it just called around 4:30 PM and said he was passing the Tappan Zee Bridge!
smile.gif
I hope the derailment doesn't affect him - or maybe he will get some rare mileage!
biggrin.gif
Opps I hope you don't think the UP express train derailed, it was split in two by a broken coupler. Saw the same train go by shortly after the Lake Shore Limited East past thur Syracuse.

In a case like this, where service was cancelled, what is protocol for travelers? Do they fend for themselves, does Amtrak try to bus them, or do they build a little tent community outside their station? Granted the Empire Service is a regional service, but once you get to upstate, most of the cities are an hour or more apart.

The Weather Channel mentioned Amtrak cancellations. Kind of brutal out there. So cold that I almost feel bad about asking my wife to go out to get milk and bread. Just kidding. She asked me. :(
It was six below zero when we woke up in Rochester this morning, and the eastbound 48 (LSL) was running three hours late. That gave the passengers three more hours of fun on the train and one additional meal, when the train arrived at 1:06 PM. :cool:

In a case like this, where service was cancelled, what is protocol for travelers? Do they fend for themselves, does Amtrak try to bus them, or do they build a little tent community outside their station? Granted the Empire Service is a regional service, but once you get to upstate, most of the cities are an hour or more apart.
At least the ones heading south from ALB through to NYP got bussed, not sure about folks on the run from ALB over to Niagara...

What are the chances of getting from Albany to NYC tomorrow evening (1/26/11)? Some forecasts say 6-12 inches south of Albany and I don't want to get stuck if I go up there in the morning.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back