EMY / San Francisco questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Manfred

Train Attendant
Hi.

I've just booked a trip for the latter half of May where I'll ride the California Zephyr to EMY / San Francisco, stay 3 nights in a downtown SF hotel, and then ride the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder to get home. I have questions about the San Francisco part.

I've got a Thruway bus ticket to get me across to San Francisco from EMY, but I think I want to change what stop I get off on. I see some of the stops are curbside only. What's the best stop to get off on if I want to then call a taxi to get me and my luggage the rest of the way to my hotel? (If the train's on time, this will be an evening arrival.)

On the last day, I'll have to check out of my hotel at 11am but the bus and train for the Coast Starlight don't leave until that evening. I'd like to use a bus or train station where I can leave my luggage for the day to continue to explore, maybe even look at Oakland a bit. Is there one where I can do that, and how much would the storage cost?

I think that's all. Thanks!

I can't answer about the train stations for storing your luggage, but do know that many, if not all, hotels will hold your luggage for you after you check out. Of course, this won't work for you if you decided to head over to Oakland as you would have to go back to SF to get your luggage.

Hi.

I've just booked a trip for the latter half of May where I'll ride the California Zephyr to EMY / San Francisco, stay 3 nights in a downtown SF hotel, and then ride the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder to get home. I have questions about the San Francisco part.

I've got a Thruway bus ticket to get me across to San Francisco from EMY, but I think I want to change what stop I get off on. I see some of the stops are curbside only. What's the best stop to get off on if I want to then call a taxi to get me and my luggage the rest of the way to my hotel? (If the train's on time, this will be an evening arrival.)
Good morning, Steve!

When it comes to getting off from another stop other than the one you're ticketed to in San Francisco, will you have any checked luggage or just carry-on luggage? I ask because, if you have checked luggage that is sent all the way though, it will be delivered to the Amtrak "station" inside the San Francisco Ferry Building. This is only one station, of I think two in the whole system, that is a fully staffed facility with a waiting room but has no trains it actually serves. It would likely be your best bet for a cab as there is a loading lane/cab stand there, and if one is not there when you would like, the station attendant can call you one. Or you can exercise your cab-hailing techniques on the Embarcadero!

Otherwise, regardless of what stop your ticket says, if you are just bringing carry-on luggage you can get off at any of the stations in San Francisco. Just let the bus driver know which one and they will accommodate. Just know ahead of time that, with the exception of the Ferry Building, all the other stops are curb-side. No shelter or anything to denote an Amtrak stop except a sign on a pole. Just like riding a city bus.

On the last day, I'll have to check out of my hotel at 11am but the bus and train for the Coast Starlight don't leave until that evening. I'd like to use a bus or train station where I can leave my luggage for the day to continue to explore, maybe even look at Oakland a bit. Is there one where I can do that, and how much would the storage cost?
You have a couple options. Again, there is the Ferry Building station. You can check any bags you desire through to your final destination there, and they will be handled for you. As for carry-on bags, you could indeed check them at the bell stand of your hotel for the day, or ask the Amtrak agent at the Ferry Building station to day-check them for you. The stated cost to day-check is $4, but if you are traveling sleeper, they may (emphasis on the may) do it for free.

Hope this helps!

If one is unsure which hotel one will be staying at in San Francisco, but wants to book the trains/buses now, which stop is best to book to (and then get off early, as needed)?

I don't know if the drivers really care what stop you're booked for on the ride into San Fran. Going to EMY or Oakland from San Fran might be different if they are looking at a passenger list of how many and who to pick up where. Last time I rode, the driver was radioing reports to someone about how many passengers he picked up at each stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackwolf,

Thanks for the info on the Ferry Building Station. I think I'll use that. I will have two good-sized bags I'll try to be keeping with me on the train. I don't think I'll need to check one, but I'd still prefer a full station while dealing with them.

I don't suppose you'd know if there'd be room for them on a San Francisco cable car or bus, do you?

If you want to explore Oakland, you could either day check your carry-on bags at the Emeryville station or even at the Oakland station. The Coast Starlight also stops at Jack London Square in Oakland.

Blackwolf,

Thanks for the info on the Ferry Building Station. I think I'll use that. I will have two good-sized bags I'll try to be keeping with me on the train. I don't think I'll need to check one, but I'd still prefer a full station while dealing with them.

I don't suppose you'd know if there'd be room for them on a San Francisco cable car or bus, do you?
I doubt you could fit luggage on a cable car (there so overcrowded) but there'd be no reason not to take luggage on a MUNI Bus or Metro. I take my luggage on public transportation (I live in NYC) when I go on trips all the time. I haven't taken a cab (when traveling) in years!

Hi.

Good morning, Steve!

When it comes to getting off from another stop other than the one you're ticketed to in San Francisco, will you have any checked luggage or just carry-on luggage? I ask because, if you have checked luggage that is sent all the way though, it will be delivered to the Amtrak "station" inside the San Francisco Ferry Building. This is only one station, of I think two in the whole system, that is a fully staffed facility with a waiting room but has no trains it actually serves. It would likely be your best bet for a cab as there is a loading lane/cab stand there, and if one is not there when you would like, the station attendant can call you one. Or you can exercise your cab-hailing techniques on the Embarcadero!

Otherwise, regardless of what stop your ticket says, if you are just bringing carry-on luggage you can get off at any of the stations in San Francisco. Just let the bus driver know which one and they will accommodate. Just know ahead of time that, with the exception of the Ferry Building, all the other stops are curb-side. No shelter or anything to denote an Amtrak stop except a sign on a pole. Just like riding a city bus.

You have a couple options. Again, there is the Ferry Building station. You can check any bags you desire through to your final destination there, and they will be handled for you. As for carry-on bags, you could indeed check them at the bell stand of your hotel for the day, or ask the Amtrak agent at the Ferry Building station to day-check them for you. The stated cost to day-check is $4, but if you are traveling sleeper, they may (emphasis on the may) do it for free.

Hope this helps!
A minor correction: the Ferry Building Amtrak waiting room is not inside the Ferry Building itself, but rather in a smaller building next to it on the south side.

The Ferry Building is the official "station" and does have a staffed desk and a small waiting area. In my experience traveling through last summer, most of the hotels are 2-3 stops further down the Embarcadero. A knowledgable local or even the driver may know which stop is ultimately best based on your hotel reservation. However, if you are planning on cabbing it from the bus stop to the hotel, then as others suggested, the Ferry Building is your best bet. Likewise, when leaving SF, all the cab drivers can get you to the Ferry Building and/or the Amtrak station. The curbside stops are less obvious and the cab may not know all of them.

The Ferry Building is also quite close to the F line (MUNI) and the Embarcadero BART station.

Hi.

All the bus stops in San Francisco are curbside. None are at a bus station or any kind of designated intermodal off-street location. The Fisherman's Wharf stop is sort of off the road in front of Pier 39.

SFC (Ferry Building) is right on the Embarcadero. The station building is a few hundred feet away. This is the only SF location with checked luggage. They will send out an employee with a luggage cart to pick up your stuff. And if you don't want to bring your carry on in the passenger area, the drive will usually place such luggage in the baggage holds.

sanfrancisco5.jpg

I've seen most of the other stops, and they're essentially bus stops in traffic.

I don't think you'd have any problem getting a taxi, although it might take some patience. All the locations are downtown except for Fisherman's Wharf and next to the Caltrain station (right on the street). And those two always have taxi drivers looking for fares.

If one is unsure which hotel one will be staying at in San Francisco, but wants to book the trains/buses now, which stop is best to book to (and then get off early, as needed)?
Book the Ferry Building stop now if you are unsure which one you ultimately want to use. But be aware that there is often more than one bus meeting the CZ at EMY, with each going to a different set of stops in the City. So be sure to ask the drivers at EMY which bus to board for your particular stop desired.

Just wanted to add a comment .....

The last time we rode the CZ we arrived at the Ferry Building location at 230 AM. Everyone's luggage was taken out of the bus, and put on the curb, as -- of course -- the station was closed and no one was there. We were alright, as my sister was waiting for us there. Others were not so lucky.

I would add your hotel's phone number to your cell phone, and the phone number of a reliable local 24 hour cab company. (We now use Yelp to look for reviews.) I know this idea is common sense ... but until this CZ experience we had never thought to have a local 24 hour cab company phone number available on any of our travels.

We used the Uber app while in SF. It's wonderful. You pay through the app, and the drivers cannot accept tips (we tried). I believe this is covered via a service charge, but I couldn't confirm it since my friend set up all of the rides.

The cars are clean and comfortable, and every driver was friendly. It also has GPS so you know exactly how close your ride is and where they're coming from. It was amazing.

Engineer, thank you for the information ... that does sound amazing!

I looked at their website, and they seem to be in a lot of the larger cities!

Definitely not on a cable car. Possibly on a bus or street car, but the driver may not allow you to board with them. Should be fine on BART or Metro.

Where in the city is your hotel?

Depending on what hotel you're in, one of the Financial District (SFF), Civic Center (SFV), or Moscone Center (SFM) curbside stops might be very close to it. That said, unless one of those stops is right by your hotel, you're probably best off going to Ferry Building (SFC) and going from there. Several bus routes and the F-Market streetcar are nearby; the MUNI Metro (light rail subway) and BART (heavy rail regional subway) are 3 blocks away. Luggage you can carry yourself should be fine on most MUNI buses or the subways, particularly since lots of the routes start near the Ferry Building anyway so there won't be a huge crowd on them yet.

For Oakland, there's a ferry from the Ferry Building into Oakland that runs hourly-ish. I don't know if Jack London Square station would day-check bags but they do have regular checked baggage service. I second the above recommendation of the Clipper card if you're going to use public transit-it works on MUNI, BART, several other bus operators, the ferries, etc.

Update: I was going to use the Coast Starkight & Empire Builder to get home, but now they've broken that connection, that won't work, and I've had to cancel the trip.

I've got a travel voucher to use sometime over the next year. Will the Emoire Builder be reliable enough for me in that timeframe to use it, I ask myself.

How far east were you planning on going on the EB? Do you have to connect in Chicago?

If you have an extra day in your schedule, take the CS to Chemult (CMO) with the shuttle to Bend Oregon. Spend a night in Bend and take the morning Central Oregon Breeze bus to Portland.

The bus stops at the airport and the Amtrak station. http://cobreeze.com/

There is also an early morning Amtrak Cascades train from EUG to PDX if you wanted to stay in Eugene instead of Portland.

My stop in in Red Wing, MN.

This trip, which I don't have to take, was being cobbled together with a combination of reward points both for Amtrak and hotels and some cash, and having to spend a night in Portland would put me over-budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back