Equipment order expected in January

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
According to the latest NARP Blog:

An Amtrak spokesman tells the Train Riders Association of California (TRAC) that Amtrak will make a “dramatic and bold” announcement on new equipment purchases in January, reports NARP Council member Jim Loomis. We should expect nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:
This site is think new Superliner Equipment

http://takeatrainride.blogspot.com/2009/11...weeks-away.html

The RFI is out for new sleepers dinners and baggage so it can't be that.

My "big and bold" guess would be for new higher speed equipment. Either a replacement for the Acela (use them on keystone service) with speed of 200 mph or a non electric corridor trainset with 125 mph capacity. The only question on these would where are the track to support them. not of this shows up on the Amtrak long term biz plan.

I hope there are some Superliner III's involved for all those planned route restorations out west.

Also, if (when) Bombardier receives the order, I hope the bathroom doors lock :lol:

Well if it is Superliner IIIs, they might have finally figured out how to fit them in to the tunnels!

... Or not.

I highly doubt he meant new Superliner cars, he probably just meant the new Viewliner fleet (which is still good for our easterners :) ). He probably is all mixed up on what their ordering (like 50 Viewliner sleepers, last I heard it is only going to be 25, etc.).

I highly doubt he meant new Superliner cars, he probably just meant the new Viewliner fleet (which is still good for our easterners :) ). He probably is all mixed up on what their ordering (like 50 Viewliner sleepers, last I heard it is only going to be 25, etc.).
The Viewliner Sleeper order is supposed to be 25 firm with 25 options, from what I have been hearing of late. Then there are of coruse the Viewliner Diners and Viewliner Baggage and Bag-Dorm cars too.

The bi-levels that have been talked about are the bi-level corridor cars - some 130 of them, which are supposed to be deployed in the midwest so as to release all Amfleets for service in the Northeast.

Additionally there is also mention of the 20 + 40 options or some such (I don't remember the exact number) for electric engines for the northeast.

I would be very surprised if there is any Superliner III order a.k.a. long distance bi-level order at this time.

Nope. I think the big to do is the announcement that Special Agent Pat is being promoted to Amtrak police chief; a catered party will be held afterwards at the site of where the Beaumont depot should be. Bring your own umbrellas.Oh...the new equipment will be the Chief's new gold badge. Sorry...

Also, if (when) Bombardier receives the order, I hope the bathroom doors lock :lol:
Actually IIRC, the problem with the bathroom doors on Acela wasn't that they wouldn't lock, it was that some people couldn't figure out how to unlock them.

100 new Superliners for the restored Pioneer, North Coast Hiawatha, extension of the Sunset to Orlando, etc.!!!! I expect nothing less!!!! (j/k, obviously)

Seriously though, if they order new Superliners, they better make sure they order enough to at least cover the CONO "back up" equipment which is currently lounging about in NOL for three days. ;)

Actually IIRC, the problem with the bathroom doors on Acela wasn't that they wouldn't lock, it was that some people couldn't figure out how to unlock them.
Last time I traveled in a Superliner the bathroom I was in would not lock and a couple of my friends, in the next car had the same problem. As for why I mentioned Superliner III's, recently I read the North Coast Hiawatha Study and was intrigued by the following:

A purchase of new bi-level equipment for the North Coast Hiawatha, which wouldtake approximately four years for design, procurement and construction, would have

to be part of a larger equipment order. The high upfront design and tooling costs associated

with building passenger rail cars make it uneconomic to construct them in

small quantities. Amtrak is preparing a comprehensive equipment fleet strategy that

will, among other things, address the existing shortage of bi-level Superliner cars that

limits capacity on Western long-distance trains. An order for new bi-level equipment,

which would be subject to funding availability, could provide the means to acquire

additional equipment for new services such as a restored North Coast Hiawatha.
"

I thought, "Amtrak... comprehensive equipment fleet strategy... that will... address the existing shortage of bi-level Superliner cars," was an odd choice of words, and I just can't help letting my mind wonder.

When I was on the Coast Starlight a couple of weeks ago, I heard several crew members talking about a proposal for Superliner III equipment... so I am guessing this is what this is about??? They didnt seem to know any design details or anything, just its new Superliner equipment for the western routes.

My hope would be special lounge cars for sleeping car passengers only... like the PPC's on the CS.

Very interesting indeed. Obviously Amtrak needs more single level equipment and obviously the soon to be Viewliners cover that....sort of. But the mention of California style bi-level equipment makes lots of sense to me. Don't some Michigan trains use Superliners?

Very interesting indeed. Obviously Amtrak needs more single level equipment and obviously the soon to be Viewliners cover that....sort of. But the mention of California style bi-level equipment makes lots of sense to me. Don't some Michigan trains use Superliners?

The east need the new car really badly to replace the diners and add sleepers to trains which are currently lacking. The Superliners are used on Michigan trains in the winter/snowy months because of problems with the open vestibules on the Horizon cars (which should be resolved with the new cars).

Just the Pere Marquette between Chicago and Grand Rapids uses Superliner equipment.

What I am hoping is that the Illinois regional trains and the Hiawatha up to Milwaukee get Superliner-type equipment. I just got back from a trip out to California and rode the Surfliners and the totally put that Horizon equipment to shame. It would be so great if Illinois got the same equipment California uses.

We could call them "Cornliners"!!!

Anyway... the design of the Horizon is not suited for cold weather and snow. Since the stairwell is actually on the OUTSIDE of the train... it constantly gets clogged with snow and ice... forcing the conductors to try and get that slippery stuff off the steps... but no matter how hard they try they have some really dangerous conditions on the stairs sometimes.

They need the Superliners on the Midwest corrdior runs and delegate the Horizon equipment to the Sunset Limited Stub Train from SAS-NOL if they are going to do that.

When I was on the Coast Starlight a couple of weeks ago, I heard several crew members talking about a proposal for Superliner III equipment... so I am guessing this is what this is about??? They didnt seem to know any design details or anything, just its new Superliner equipment for the western routes.
My hope would be special lounge cars for sleeping car passengers only... like the PPC's on the CS.

Well I highly doubt that new Superliners will arriv in the next few years, let alone new PPC type cars! Those cars are really just for show now, they don't really make enough money to jurify their existance.

Yeah I think Amtrak will hold off on bi-levels until they know more about what midwest HSR projects are going so they know if they should expect what states to buy what gear if any--

Anyway... the design of the Horizon is not suited for cold weather and snow. Since the stairwell is actually on the OUTSIDE of the train... it constantly gets clogged with snow and ice... forcing the conductors to try and get that slippery stuff off the steps... but no matter how hard they try they have some really dangerous conditions on the stairs sometimes.
Just one of many exmples of what you get when thigs are designed by people that don't use that sort of stuff. Anyone who ever rode trains in places where it snowed would have felt it necessary to come up with a solution for this issue during the design porcess.

What I am hoping is that the Illinois regional trains and the Hiawatha up to Milwaukee get Superliner-type equipment.
Remember, Wisconsin just purchased two trainsets from Talgo to replace the Hiawatha trainsets. So I don't think we'll see Superliners on the Hiawatha for a very long time.

I hope it's new Superliners too. I wonder if the fact that this was announced in California means anything?

The only trains I've ever ridden in are Superliners, and the one's I've been in have shown a lot of wear and tear. I was on the CS right after it was "relaunched" last year, and managed to miss getting refurbished cars. Twice.

Actually, I'd be happy for any new cars, as long as it means Amtrak would have more time/funds to refurbish the Superliners.

I hope it's new Superliners too. I wonder if the fact that this was announced in California means anything?
The only trains I've ever ridden in are Superliners, and the one's I've been in have shown a lot of wear and tear. I was on the CS right after it was "relaunched" last year, and managed to miss getting refurbished cars. Twice.
If you rode the single levels, you'd re-write that post to say you hope we get Viewliners.

While its true that we don't have Superliners to throw around, we don't have enough Viewliners around to do what Amtrak already does--

The Viewliner Sleeper order is supposed to be 25 firm with 25 options, from what I have been hearing of late. Then there are of coruse the Viewliner Diners and Viewliner Baggage and Bag-Dorm cars too.

The bi-levels that have been talked about are the bi-level corridor cars - some 130 of them, which are supposed to be deployed in the midwest so as to release all Amfleets for service in the Northeast.

Additionally there is also mention of the 20 + 40 options or some such (I don't remember the exact number) for electric engines for the northeast.

I would be very surprised if there is any Superliner III order a.k.a. long distance bi-level order at this time.
Actually, from what I've been hearing, JIS, the January order will be the 130 bi-level Corridor cars, with an option for something like 30 sleepers and 40 LD coaches, plus 15 diner/lounge things based off that corridor design, the idea being to use them on captive service for restored Desert Wind, Pioneer, North Coast Hiawatha, and Texas Chief applications if and when Congress/the states agree to fund them, at which point, if it occurs in time, the options would be exercised.

As well as announcing an award-of-contract for the Viewliners, and perhaps some specifics on the long-range plan for replacing the Acelas, and on the longer term, the Amfleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back