Ever Wondered what Viewliner 8400 Looks like

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take my word for it, Viewliner and Wooden Mike---that was a dandy car. It was for the Silver Meteor(all you FLoridians take note). I am not sure if I was ever actually in the car but have seen it in photos so much I feel that I have been in it. It was a showpiece for many years. As originally built, the lounge was very soft and inviting....any old collection of railroad books, TRAINS mags, esepciallyalso any old Seaboard timetables, you will see this lounge was pictured quite a lot. Some new full length pullmans were built at the same time. The Silver Meteor was always kept in slightly better shape than the Silver Star. And the Star, in turn, was always slightly superoro to the Silver Comet(which went from NYC t0 ATL and BHM).

How do you get trip reports? I saw 8400 on the LSL along time ago. It was cool but i wish i would have photographed it aswell if i knew it was going to be stored. It such a pity to think of perfectly useful equipment just rotting, especially the F40's. I miss those a lot. They were a real locomotive.

"The monument to the Vista Dome car was originally in Glenwood Canyon in Colorado. I believe it has been moved to the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, Colorado."

I think they moved it when they built the I-70 bi-level 4-lane through the canyon, and partially because it was being vandalized on a regular basis.

I was fortunate enough to see it in it's original setting back in the very early 70's before the new highway was constructed.

(There are some interesting scenes of the old two lane highway, and some of the construction just east of Glenwood Springs, in the movie "Vanishing Point". The film's climax was shot in Cisco, Utah, though it's identified in the movie as Cisco, California.)

It's a beautiful monument. If you are ever in Denver, it's worth the short trip to Golden to visit the CRM. They have a pretty fair collection of cars, old railroad items, and 2 model railroads. An HO scale in the basement and a G-scale club with an outdoor pike.

Having been a railfan for YEARS, I knew the story of the Dome-cars origin. I found it quite ironic and thrilling that, when I took the CZ from Denver to Green River on 11-12-02, David Gunn was riding in the cab as we worked our way through Glenwood Canyon!

I was wondering what ideas he was coming up with!

The CZ from Denver to Green River, where I get off, is a truly unique and beautiful experience!

Unfortunatly, it often get's dark now, just after Grand Junction, but I stll recommend the trip if you ever get the chance!

I guess I'm just "old school", but to me, an observation is an observation!!!

Calling a dome car or Sightseer Lounge an observation is like calling Michael Jackson (the FREAK!) a responsible parent, drives me crazy!!! LOL!

And don't forget, the Milwaukee Road's observation cars used on the Hiawatha's! I forget what they called them, "Skyview Lounges", perhaps?

But they looked like the nose of the "Seaview" from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea".

Here are a couple-few of links you may enjoy!!!

COLORADO RAILCAR

Passenger Cars For Sale

RAIL MERCHANTS

Monad Railway

Luxury Cars for rent at Ride Train dot com

Ozark Mountain Railcars

Wooden Mike, regarding the Milwaukee road observation cars....I THINK they were called "Sky Top Lounges".....anyway, the last time I passed through Milwaukee I saw one off to the side in the station. Truly a beautiful creature....too bad I never actually rode in one. I do understand that keeping it cool in the summer was a problem, however.

That is a cool car I'd love to do brekkie in it and watch the scenery go byyyyyyyyyy............

maybe someone can buy it and preserve it with f40 #231...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back