EWR Airtrain Fare Included in AGR Redemption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorechris

Train Attendant
It looks to me as though both normal Amtrak fares and NJT fares to/from EWR include an upcharge to cover the cost of the airtrain to the terminal. Does anyone know if this fare is this covered in an AGR redemption? Also I would like to try out the smartphone ticketing stuff but if the airtrain would require a printed ticket i would do that instead.

I booked 2 tickets from BWI (rail station) to EWR, arriving 8:21 AM for a 1:30 PM flight (to Hawaii, no way to take the train there!) I think 5 hr buffer should be good, could even drive up in that time if something catastrophic happens. On the way back we get in at 545AM on a redeye, catching the 8:32 AM regional back to bwi. Plenty of choices after that in case of severe flight delays.

All Amtrak tickets that have EWR as their destination or origin include the AirTrain fare. The AirTrain gate-keeper won't know

or care how you obtained the Amtrak ticket. IME they give it about a half-second glance and let you through.

Can't answer about you can use a Smartphone...haven't tried that at EWR yet.

This past August I did a multi-city trip with a points run added MET-EWR-NYP(less than 24 hour overnight)-SDY-POH part of the reason for the EWR layover was to get Monorail photos. On my first pass through the faregates to leave I showed the iPhone app. It took the redcoat a minute but once she checked the train number and destination she let me through without anything to highlight. On the way back I stopped at the quiktrack machine for a new print out and got back in.

Yes they accept I phones!

That's an awfully long buffer. I take NER weekly and rarely have delays exceeding 15 minutes.

Thanks for the info everyone, we will go with the iphone tickets

It is a long connection, but there are a few reasons why;

1. It is a Sunday, so there are fewer train options available. The next arrival would be 11:30 leaving only 2 hrs to make the connection.

2. We are taking a nonstop flight to Hawaii, and if we were to miss it, there is no other option to make it there the same day out of Newark.

3. For the piece of mind of my wife, we aren't going to cut it close

Back