Expanded Amtrak All Over the News This Week

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railbender

Train Attendant
Did a quick GOOGLE News search this week (as I often do) for AMTRAK... What did it reveal? Three stories in multiple papers regarding reviving the Pioneer (1), a line from Binghamton, NY through Scranton, PA and Hoboken, NJ to NYC (2) and expanded Virginia routes... Very interesting. Are we reaching a "tipping point" in passenger rail? Don't want to get too excited, but it appears so.

Would love to read other forum member's thoughts on this...

Did a quick GOOGLE News search this week (as I often do) for AMTRAK... What did it reveal? Three stories in multiple papers regarding reviving the Pioneer (1), a line from Binghamton, NY through Scranton, PA and Hoboken, NJ to NYC (2) and expanded Virginia routes... Very interesting. Are we reaching a "tipping point" in passenger rail? Don't want to get too excited, but it appears so.
I don't understand why they want to expand the LYH-WAS proposal into an LYH-NYC route! I guess it just means expanding an NEC regional south of WAS, just like the Carolinian, and this lets them run it with a New York-based crew? But it makes the train times just awful--it's barely an hour off from the Crescent, running the same route. I'll be first in line to encourage more rail service in that area (being from it!), but there's no reason for me to choose that train over the Crescent (and three big reasons to choose the Crescent over it: breakfast, lunch, and dinner).

Lots of folks board at CVS going north already. Are there that many more people who want to go north in the early morning from CVS who can't get tickets for the Crescent? Maybe on Thanksgiving weekend, but not other times in my experience.

The Pioneer, that's exciting! No idea if it'll fly, but the more buzz there is, the more people may get interested and write their congresscritters to encourage it.

Also saw some of those articles.

Well, it looks like the Viriginia one depends on state funding. So who knows what the state legislature will do. The others sounded like they would be national network trains, but it doesn't look like there is a timeframe. With the Pioneer specifically, it looked like its ressurection might be legally mandated by Congress by whatever comes of bill S.294 (the Amtrak reauthorization bill introduced in the Senate in 2007).

I would be very excited to see at least two of these since I live in Illinois and know people in Binghamton and Portland, OR!

My belief is that if a bill is ultimately passed closely resembling S.294, a tipping point will be reached. There will be two keys: one, it has well more capital money, which Amtrak will need to purchase equipment and/or to some degree fix equipment. My impression is that fixing what they have might allow Amtrak to go for awhile adding corridor service, but that they're at the end of their rope on LD equipment and need to purchase. Second, S.294 has a rich pot of federal money that can be used as matching funds for state investment in railroad infrastructure. This really could open the floodgates. States find it much easier to pay the couple million dollars a year operating funds for state supported service than to come up with like $50 million capital funds for trackwork. There are a lot of states sitting on the sidelines waiting for this.

It looks like S.294 is also seeking to change the culture a little bit and articulate Amtrak's goals as providing efficient national passenger service, rather than to lose the least money. The best way to prevent Amtrak (or most any federal program) losing money is to shut it down, after all! And just last year Congress lifted the ban on Amtrak starting new national routes that will require a federal operating subsidy. All of this helps.

Write your Congressmen! Specifically at this juncture your representative in the U.S. House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back