Expanded Consists during Summer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi_Train_Fan

Service Attendant
The peak summer Amtrak season is coming to a close. What expanded consists have you observed first hand?

I haven't had the pleasure to travel long distance by Amtrak since May 2009. I saw this great video on youtube that prompted me to ask the question. Both Empire Builders have the "usual" expanded consists of the line number 0831 Seattle Sleeping Car and the train 808 Minneapolis to Chicago Coach.

The eastbound Empire Builder that appears first in the video has:

-extra Seattle Sleeping Car: line number 0832 perhaps?, not sure of the line number, I've been on the Empire Builder when they've numbered the Transition Sleeper 0832

-extra Seattle Coach Car: probably line number 0813

The eastbound Empire Builder that appears second in the video has:

I look forward to your observations of expanded consists this summer,

David

Last edited by a moderator:
The peak summer Amtrak season is coming to a close. What expanded consists have you observed first hand?
I haven't had the pleasure to travel long distance by Amtrak since May 2009. I saw this great video on youtube that prompted me to ask the question. Both Empire Builders have the "usual" expanded consists of the line number 0831 Seattle Sleeping Car and the train 808 / 807 Minneapolis to Chicago Coach.

-extra Seattle Sleeping Car: line number 0832 perhaps?, not sure of the line number, I've been on the Empire Builder when they've numbered the Transition Sleeper 0832

The westbound Empire Builder that appears second in the video has:

-extra Seattle Coach Car: probably line number 0713

My last two eastbound EB trains to Chicago this summer they have added a coach car behind the 2830 sleeper.

I just did some math (imagine that) and came up with the amazing potential passenger load for that special Empire Builder Train 8 originating in Seattle on August 4th.

Transition Sleeper: 8 potential beds (would they have sold these with the potentially expanded staff needed for this train?)

0832 Sleeper: 42 beds

0831 Sleeper: 42 beds

0830 Sleeper: 42 beds

0811 Coach: 72 seats

0812 Coach: 62 seats

0813 Coach: 62 seats

2814 Coach: 62 seats

2815 Coach: 72 seats

2830 Sleeper: 42 beds

MSP Coach: 72 seats

Grand total capacity of first train in the linked YouTube video: 578 potential passengers.

David

Does CS #14 always add a coach in Oakland? We left LAX Last Saturday 8/29 with 2.
If I understand correctly, your train 14 of 8/29 had 2 coaches from Los Angeles to Oakland. At Oakland a third coach car was added.

The usual summer consist of the Coast Starlight light is 3 sleeping cars and 4 coach cars. Sounds like your #14 was short on coach cars.

Does CS #14 always add a coach in Oakland? We left LAX Last Saturday 8/29 with 2.
If I understand correctly, your train 14 of 8/29 had 2 coaches from Los Angeles to Oakland. At Oakland a third coach car was added.

The usual summer consist of the Coast Starlight light is 3 sleeping cars and 4 coach cars. Sounds like your #14 was short on coach cars.
Left LAX with 3 sleepers, 2 coaches, PCC, diner, lounge, baggage, 3 engines. Only a couple of people boarded in Oakland, but a lot came on in Emeryville, where we got off.

Edit:

Well, according to CHI_Amtrak_Fan's video I got this all wrong. Swear I counted 2 coaches... guess I'm losing it. Then, in Oakland we added a 5th coach? And that is my train in the video, I just checked photos of the engines and the numbers match.

Sorry for the confusion.

Wow, that Empire Builder did have 3 Seattle coaches. I've ridden the Builder several times in August and I'm almost certain my train didn't have 3 Seattle coaches. Between MSP and MKE I rode on the 7th, 10th, and 11th. Also I rode on the 26th. I was in the 12 car right in front of the lounge. I know for a fact there were only 2 Seattle coaches.

Also note that the Empire Builder carries nearly 900 passengers, (on and off) during one single run end to end during the summer. The Coast Starlight is usually above 800 from end to end.

On the CONO in July from CHI-NOL #59 had the usual deadhead coach that the CN requires but due to the pax load it was full as were the 2 sleepers!But the OBS told us that the ssl had been taken off last Saturday because it was needed on the other Western LD trains!They asked us to contact Amtrak and let them know they wanted their lounge back,the CCC is not adequate when this train is full,we even had a pax that rode in the CCC from where he got on in Mississippi to NOL since all seats were full!Anyone else have this during the summer season on full trains?

I haven't had the pleasure to travel long distance by Amtrak since May 2009. I saw this great video on youtube that prompted me to ask the question. Both Empire Builders have the "usual" expanded consists of the line number 0831 Seattle Sleeping Car and the train 808 Minneapolis to Chicago Coach.

I wish that when the EB and CS (etc.) book up sleepers 30-60 days out they would consider additions, if available.

Wow, that Empire Builder did have 3 Seattle coaches. I've ridden the Builder several times in August and I'm almost certain my train didn't have 3 Seattle coaches. Between MSP and MKE I rode on the 7th, 10th, and 11th. Also I rode on the 26th. I was in the 12 car right in front of the lounge. I know for a fact there were only 2 Seattle coaches.
Also note that the Empire Builder carries nearly 900 passengers, (on and off) during one single run end to end during the summer. The Coast Starlight is usually above 800 from end to end.
I was on the EB on the morning of August 17 traveling from St. Paul (MSP) to Chicago. The consist was unusual having two lounge cars. One was in the Seattle (SEA) section of the train and the other in the Portland (PDX)Section. The consist was SEA transdorm car, SEA sleeper, SEA sleeper, Dining car, Lounge car, SEA coach car, SEA coach car, Lounge car, PDX coach car, PDX coach car, PDX sleeper, and MSP coach car. Sorry, I had the car numbers written down but can't seen to find them on my clustered desk.

I was on the EB on the morning of August 17 traveling from St. Paul (MSP) to Chicago. The consist was unusual having two lounge cars. One was in the Seattle (SEA) section of the train and the other in the Portland (PDX)Section. The consist was SEA transdorm car, SEA sleeper, SEA sleeper, Dining car, Lounge car, SEA coach car, SEA coach car, Lounge car, PDX coach car, PDX coach car, PDX sleeper, and MSP coach car. Sorry, I had the car numbers written down but can't seen to find them on my clustered desk.
So thats where the ssl went that used to be on the CONO and is somedays missing from the TE!!!! :eek:

Our Surfliners have consistently had 6 car consists (generally: locomotive, business class, cafe, coach, coach, Superliner coach, cab) but there is the Del Mar block added to known higher-volume trains (locomotive, business class, cafe, one or two additional coaches.) There's also a single-level consist running around during the summer.

After this weekend, the standard Surfliner consists will pretty much go back to about half of the trainsets with 5 cars, half with 6.

(During Del Mar race season, there are trains that could easily be 12 or 15 cars long, and still be SRO.)

Travel light!

~BJG

So thats where the ssl went that used to be on the CONO and is somedays missing from the TE!!!! :eek:
Not sure on how often the second lounge car was used on the EB this summer. Rail buffs on that journey, including the National Park Service tour narrator on the Winona-Chicago leg of the trip, indicated it was a rare occurence to have a second lounge car. Our car attendant indicated that the additional lounge car was serving as a backup to the dining car. The dining car had experienced mechanical problems on a previous trip and the reliability of it operating for the entire trip was in question. In my experience, riding this route frequently, a second lounge car during the summer months would not go to naught. Both lounge cars were filled to capacity and enjoyed by the passengers.

I haven't had the pleasure to travel long distance by Amtrak since May 2009. I saw this great video on youtube that prompted me to ask the question. Both Empire Builders have the "usual" expanded consists of the line number 0831 Seattle Sleeping Car and the train 808 / 807 Minneapolis to Chicago Coach.

I was in the H Room of 2830 when the coach car was added on July 11th of this year. I'm not sure exactly why, but our attendant made a point of letting us know, shortly before we arrived at the station, that the addition would be taking place. The only thing I can figure is that he thought that being in the last car of the consist, the coupling might create a small bump that might be more noticable to us than to those in other cars, and he was just being considerate and warning us of it!

Several times sleeping car attendents have made negative comments to me about the addition of a coach car after the 2830. The focus of their comments has been on observations that coach passengers (at a minimum) tend to take advantage of sleeping car amenities without the right to do so, when walking through the 2830. On my last trip, the attendent went as far as putting the juices in his room out of fear that the neighboring coach passengers would take them. :unsure:

Last summer the Heartland Flyer was expanded to 4 Coaches, but this summer, it remained at its usual 3. The few times I rode it seats were generally plentiful, but then again that was always during mid week. Weekend loads tend to be much higher with families day tripping to FTW.

Several times sleeping car attendents have made negative comments to me about the addition of a coach car after the 2830. The focus of their comments has been on observations that coach passengers (at a minimum) tend to take advantage of sleeping car amenities without the right to do so, when walking through the 2830. On my last trip, the attendent went as far as putting the juices in his room out of fear that the neighboring coach passengers would take them. :unsure:
Funny you bring this up. I was a coach passenger once in the MSP 807 coach car and had a heated argument with the SCA in the Portland sleeper on my way to the lounge car. The SCA yelled at me when I stepped over so slightly in a vacant sleeper room in order to allow a sleeping car patron get by me in the hallway. He considered me an interloper that had no business being in "his" car. You could tell without a doubt he had obvious disdain for coach passengers entering his domain.

Since I ride both coach and sleepers(sleepers not as much as Id like!)I understand the SCAs concern about their cars,it is a fact that coach passengers will drink the coffee and juice and water,use the ice if its left out,even try to take showers!I would much rather the SCAs be observant than vanished but they dont need to have an attitude!

Ill take the politicians stand, I feel strongly both ways!LOL

On the CONO in July from CHI-NOL #59 had the usual deadhead coach that the CN requires but due to the pax load it was full as were the 2 sleepers!But the OBS told us that the ssl had been taken off last Saturday because it was needed on the other Western LD trains!They asked us to contact Amtrak and let them know they wanted their lounge back,the CCC is not adequate when this train is full,we even had a pax that rode in the CCC from where he got on in Mississippi to NOL since all seats were full!Anyone else have this during the summer season on full trains?
When I took the LSL on August 8th or 9th (can't remember which), the Amfleet II Diner Lite was adequate but the Horizon Café was not. I was told that the LSL is supposed to run with Amfleet I cafés but that all spares were transferred from Chicago to New York. I can't assume that the Amfleet I café would serve the pax better than the Horizon, but in my experience the Amfleets tend to be nicer than the Horizons. Anyway, my actual point is that while the LSL didn't lose any cars, each section of the train could use a café during the summer.

Plus, the LSL was, at least in terms of coach accommodations, sold out daily for almost the entire summer.

Funny you bring this up. I was a coach passenger once in the MSP 807 coach car and had a heated argument with the SCA in the Portland sleeper on my way to the lounge car. The SCA yelled at me when I stepped over so slightly in a vacant sleeper room in order to allow a sleeping car patron get by me in the hallway. He considered me an interloper that had no business being in "his" car. You could tell without a doubt he had obvious disdain for coach passengers entering his domain.
I did see that attitude. Thankfully, I was on the sleeper side of the equation.

Last summer the Heartland Flyer was expanded to 4 Coaches, but this summer, it remained at its usual 3. The few times I rode it seats were generally plentiful, but then again that was always during mid week. Weekend loads tend to be much higher with families day tripping to FTW.
To watch Oklahoma lose! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amtrak just announced this year's Red River Heartland Flyer will consist of just 2 P42s :)

To watch Oklahoma lose! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amtrak just announced this year's Red River Heartland Flyer will consist of just 2 P42s :)

Well I sure hope I don't get the seat over the exaust fan :lol: .

Transition Sleeper: 8 potential beds (would they have sold these with the potentially expanded staff needed for this train?)
Amtrak typically sells 4 of the 6 roomettes on the "passenger" side of the crew dorm car year round. The other two roomettes on that side are kept for the crew. That will probably need to change if the plan to add a CCC does indeed happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back