Experiences with different bedroom locations on a Superliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
I know they're lettered from A-E, but which one do most people want? Which room is the one to avoid (I've read that one of the rooms is noisier than others--can't remember which). Any pros and cons in terms of location? I've always traveled by Roomette or Coach, but am seriously thinking about using the extra 10,000 points on an upcoming trip to get a Bedroom for the first time--would like to know as much as possible before I book. Thanks!

Room A is slightly smaller than the other bedrooms, and might be a bit less desirable due to its proximity to the end of the car ... but there's really nothing to distinguish the other four rooms from each other except the relative distance to the coffeepot. :)

A might be slightly smaller, but it has the advantage of being the only room with a solid wall between you and the adjacent rooms. B/C and D/E have the door the that can be opened to make a suite between them.

The biggest difference between B C D E ? which way the couch faces (direction of travel, or where you have been).

Other than that, it is all minutia differences.

Room A is a tight squeeze for the shower - biggest difference.

Both A & E are on the end, so only one wall is shared with another bedroom. The other wall of the bedroom is to the hallway. This can be a plus or a minus depending on the way you look at it.

B,C and D bedrooms are just about equal depending on which direction you want th couch tobe in. Bedroom E is on the end near the stairs. The advantage is that you don't have rooms on both sides but you are near the stairs, the coffee machine and the ice bin. This can sometimes make for some noise. A is probably the quietest room as you can't hear the rattling of the attaching door at a price of about 1 sq ft less space. All beds are the same size.

Bedroom A is at the end of the car. Due to the turn in the hallway, it is slightly smaller than the other bedrooms, and the bathroom door is facing the hallway. (All other bedrooms have the bathroom door facing the outside wall.) The ladder to the upper berth in bedroom A is also by the hallway. Thus to use the bathroom when the ladder is set up (like during the night) can be problematic.

Personally, I avoid Bedroom A when there are 2 traveling, if at all possible!
ohmy.gif

) The ladder to the upper berth in bedroom A is also by the hallway. Thus to use the bathroom when the ladder is set up (like during the night) can be problematic.
I've had attendants put the ladder by the window and I myself have done so too. Yes, some attendants will put it by the door, but there is no reason that it must remain there.

Bedroom E is right above the outside doors. Those doors can be slammed rather loudly during nighttime stops. Nothing too bad, but thought I would mention it. It woke me up a couple of times when in E.

I like bedroom E the best. A is smaller and near the doors leading to the next car. E is right by the juice, coffee and stairway to the lower level. Its also near the other bathroom if the one in the bedroom is taken up. I also like that it is in the middle of the car so I'm not above the axle's. I leave in 6 hours for Glenwood Springs CO! Can't wait!

Interesting. Just had the first room ever. Where in the booking process do you actually get to choose a room. Or is it all dependent on getting there first?

Interesting. Just had the first room ever. Where in the booking process do you actually get to choose a room. Or is it all dependent on getting there first?
You unfortunately don't get to choose your room when booking online; the computer automatically chooses a room for you. The only way to get a specific room is to call and speak with a live agent or visit with an agent in a station.

You unfortunately don't get to choose your room when booking online; the computer automatically chooses a room for you. The only way to get a specific room is to call and speak with a live agent or visit with an agent in a station.
Well, too bad, but I liked the sleeping room so much I think the location won't likely become an issue for me. I mean, just to be ON the train is bliss to me at this point. It has been many decades of waiting for the right circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back