Expired Voucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbaitso

Train Attendant
After my last trip I sent a letter to Amtrak with a customer service issue. I received a voucher for use on my next trip. The voucher was good for a year, but I was unable to take another trip before it expired. It will have been expired for over a year by the time I will be ready to book my next trip.

Is there any chance of getting it honored? If so, how?

I prefer to book online to make sure everything is set up the way I want it, but I realize that the system isn't going to recognize the voucher when I enter the number. Also, can I use a voucher and a discount (AAA, senior, etc) on the same purchase?

After my last trip I sent a letter to Amtrak with a customer service issue. I received a voucher for use on my next trip. The voucher was good for a year, but I was unable to take another trip before it expired. It will have been expired for over a year by the time I will be ready to book my next trip.

Is there any chance of getting it honored? If so, how?
I am (was?) in the same boat (same train?).

It is basically worthless paper at this point. I keep my as a souvenir. :giggle:

Just to mention, you only have to book a trip within the year before it expires, not actually take the trip.

Any answers you get here are strictly guesswork. Call Customer Relations and ask them (nicely). Maybe they'll extend it or give you a new one. Can't hurt to ask. (Come to think of it, they did it for me a few years ago.)

Any answers you get here are strictly guesswork. Call Customer Relations and ask them (nicely). Maybe they'll extend it or give you a new one. Can't hurt to ask. (Come to think of it, they did it for me a few years ago.)
Customer Relations will say basically "tough luck". In a nice way. They won't renew it. If you didn't use it then it's a souvenir right now I use mine on trips to Boston or day trips that I take for AGRpoints.

Steve

As an example for the future, if it expires on Sept 4th, you can contact Customer Service BEFORE the expiration date - and request it to be extended for another year!
wink.gif
But after it expired, is is a worthless piece of paper!
sad.gif

I think you should just go use it ASAP. I was told by a ticket agent that they cannot expire - despite the expiration date. She thought that it was because certain states outlaw that (like gift cards), so they have to honor it. Plus - they may not notice the expiration date - just don't mention it.

Give it a try...

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - I just used a gift certificate that was more than a year old - that is what she was referring to (above). It actually had a cash value of $325. I had purchased it as a gift card - with some AMEX Amtrak travel vouchers that were about to expire a year ago.

Unfortunately, gift certificates and travel vouchers are different animals. Gift certificates (and gift cards, etc.) are dependent on state law. In PA, for example, no gift certificate is allowed to expire regardless of the date printed on it. However, travel vouchers are reimbursement instruments, and, since they were provided by the company with no currency (or currency equivalent) exchanged, the laws (at least in PA) don't apply.

Thanks to everyone for the input. My plan has always been to call Customer Service and check with them, but I wanted to get some feedback on here as to how much time and effort to put into trying. Since it sounds like an extreme long shot, I will call and talk to someone and cross my fingers that I get lucky. If the odds were better I'd try making a few calls in the hopes of catching the right person on the right day. If I happen to get them to honor it I'll reply to let folks know in the future that it may be worth a call to ask.

For those that had been wondering, here's what happened. When I found the voucher I discovered that once again my memory isn't worth a flip and the voucher was only expired by a few weeks, not a year. I called Customer Service and was lucky enough to get a representative who agreed to issue me another one to be held by Amtrak until I call to book. The representative did state that normally it is policy to not extend them beyond the expiration date.

I wanted to let folks know that it may be worth a try to call if you happen to have one and also to point out a positive customer service experience. I've had my share of poor ones in the past, but it just goes to show that there are some very helpful representatives out there as well.

Sabisto,

That rep is correct. Originally Amtrak would renew any voucher about to expire for another year if it was sent into Amtrak before the date it expired. Maybe 2 years ago or so, Amtrak changed that policy. Now only vouchers given as refunds can be renewed prior to expiration. Vouchers issued for compensation due to problems or issues cannot be renewed.

So you were very lucky! :)

Next time, use the voucher anyhow and book a trip 5 or 6 months out if you're not sure when your next trip will be. Then before that trip cancel things and you now have another year to spend that ticket towards another trip.

Sabisto,

That rep is correct. Originally Amtrak would renew any voucher about to expire for another year if it was sent into Amtrak before the date it expired. Maybe 2 years ago or so, Amtrak changed that policy. Now only vouchers given as refunds can be renewed prior to expiration. Vouchers issued for compensation due to problems or issues cannot be renewed.

So you were very lucky! :)

Next time, use the voucher anyhow and book a trip 5 or 6 months out if you're not sure when your next trip will be. Then before that trip cancel things and you now have another year to spend that ticket towards another trip.
Alan, what about the situation where I have a $200 voucher issued for compensation due to problems and that will expire on December 1, 2011. On November 1, 2011, I book a trip for $125 for travel on January 10, 2012, using my voucher for payment. When I pick up my ticket on November 1, 2011 I will receive a $75 exchange voucher. When will that $75 exchange voucher expire?

A. December 1, 2011, the expiration date of my original voucher? (I hope not)

B. November 1, 2012, one year from the day I receive the exchange voucher? (my guess for most likely answer)

C. January 10, 2013, one year from my new trip? (unlikely - I can't think why date of travel would have anything to do with it)

D. Some other date.

Thanks.

Alan, what about the situation where I have a $200 voucher issued for compensation due to problems and that will expire on December 1, 2011. On November 1, 2011, I book a trip for $125 for travel on January 10, 2012, using my voucher for payment. When I pick up my ticket on November 1, 2011 I will receive a $75 exchange voucher. When will that $75 exchange voucher expire?

A. December 1, 2011, the expiration date of my original voucher? (I hope not)

B. November 1, 2012, one year from the day I receive the exchange voucher? (my guess for most likely answer)

C. January 10, 2013, one year from my new trip? (unlikely - I can't think why date of travel would have anything to do with it)

D. Some other date.

Thanks.
I'm thinking B, but I sure can't promise that. I've never tried that or seen anything from someone who did that.

I don't normally work with compensation vouchers but I do often work with refund vouchers and can tell you that in every case I've made any sort of purchase or modification of a voucher the new expiration date has been at least a year out from the day of the purchase or change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back