Explore America Fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerkeleyBear

Train Attendant
I saw on Amtrak's website that they have information on Explore America passes. I'd seen this in print, but not on the website before. (Perhaps it was there and I just didn't see it.)

Is this program always in effect?

Basically, yes.

For example, if you do a multi-city trip where the rail fare (presumably excluding any Acela Express/Metroliner segments) exceeds the "Explore America" fare for the trip you are booking (with respect to time of year traveling, and number of "regions" traveled), the rail fare will be calculated at the appropriate Explore America rate.

If you want to do more than four segments, you'll have to call 1-800-USA-RAIL, which, unfortunately, makes you ineligible for any internet booking discounts, but will save you money if you have a really big itinerary to plan.

Also, it's not really a "pass," even though it is included in the Rail Passes section of the website. It's more of a maximum rail fare you will pay for booking a long reservation, provided you meet the restrictions listed.

Thanks for the info. So let me see if I understand this correctly. Can I call and make a reservation for a round-trip between, say, Emeryville and Denver, and a round-trip between Emeryville and Seattle that would occur two weeks after that, and a round-trip between Oakland and Los Angeles that would occur two weeks after that, and so on provided I make all of the reservations at the same time and all of the trips fall within the 45 day period? And I'll still only get charged the maximum one zone fare? And if so, is there a reason, such as a penalty, that would discourage me from making a reservation for every possible route I might want to travel within that time period in that zone?

I believe the limitation, as noted on the website, is one directional trip over a segment, meaning round-trips don't count for the special.

Back