Exploring the Adirondacks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoltan

Service Attendant
I didn't realise quite how vast and how interesting Adirondack Park was when I've been passing through it on the way to and from Montreal, and, in fact, until now, when I was talking to an American about interesting trips one can make in the States. So, I wonder if anyone knows of what connections are available to travel deeper into the park on arrival from New York on the Adirondack at one of the Upstate NY stations, or, indeed, from one of the other north of Albany routes approaching from the South side?

Well the best option is to get off at either Westport NY and take the Thruway bus to Lake Placid, the heart of the Adirondacks and former Olympics site, or to get off at Fort Edwards and take the Thruway bus to Lake George. Personally I'd probably opt for the Lake Placid option, as there is more to do there IMHO.

However, getting around in either place without a car will be tough, especially if you want to go hiking. There is no public transportation to most trailheads.

One other neat thing about Lake Placid however, is the fact that the Adirondack Scenic Railway operates a train from Lake Placid to Saranac Lake, NY.

I didn't realise quite how vast and how interesting Adirondack Park was when I've been passing through it on the way to and from Montreal, and, in fact, until now, when I was talking to an American about interesting trips one can make in the States. So, I wonder if anyone knows of what connections are available to travel deeper into the park on arrival from New York on the Adirondack at one of the Upstate NY stations, or, indeed, from one of the other north of Albany routes approaching from the South side?
If you consider an auto tour you could take the Adirondack up, rent a car and take the driving tour and hit some of the most interesting areas like Lake Placid, the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake and more.

I prepared a Google Tour Map for you that would take you through some of the best locations in the Adirondacks as well as a nice ride through Vermont on the way back. It is prepared assuming that you would get off at Albany/Rensselaer and taking a taxi to the Albany International Airport. But you can adjust it to get off at Saratoga or further north is desired. Just make sure your destination is where you can obtain a rental!

If the idea is one you'd consider then I would target the first week of October next year because that is the peek color change period in the Adirondacks. Click HERE to bring up the map!

If you consider an auto tour you could take the Adirondack up, rent a car and take the driving tour and hit some of the most interesting areas like Lake Placid, the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake and more.
I prepared a Google Tour Map for you that would take you through some of the best locations in the Adirondacks as well as a nice ride through Vermont on the way back. It is prepared assuming that you would get off at Albany/Rensselaer and taking a taxi to the Albany International Airport. But you can adjust it to get off at Saratoga or further north is desired. Just make sure your destination is where you can obtain a rental!

If the idea is one you'd consider then I would target the first week of October next year because that is the peek color change period in the Adirondacks. Click HERE to bring up the map!
That is perfect, thank you very much! :) How odd that I was spending last night myself putting together a google map of a west coast roadtrip for someone living in California!

I wonder if there are facilities in Rutland allowing a Rutland-Rutland trip... sounds too good to be true, sadly.

Yes another option is to take Amtrak to Utica and then the Adirondack Scenic Railway to Old Forge. In the summer, there is a combo deal available that includes a lake cruise in Old Forge.

That is perfect, thank you very much! :) How odd that I was spending last night myself putting together a google map of a west coast roadtrip for someone living in California!

I wonder if there are facilities in Rutland allowing a Rutland-Rutland trip... sounds too good to be true, sadly.
A Rutland to Rutland trip is a distinct possibility. You could take the Ethan Allen Express out of NYP to Rutland, VT, an overnight stay, rent a car, (Google Auto Rentals Rutland VT) then start the route I provided for you from that location, by-pass the Albany Airport and just continue north on I-87 (Adirondack Northway) then continue the route until you again return to Rutland.

There are many points of interest along the way, some of which you can research in advance. Areas like:

• Manchester VT. - Mountain car climb on your right along Rt 7 to the mountain summit where you'll find a fantistic view if it's clear.
  • Albany NY - The Empire State Plaza and the Egg. (I worked in the ESP in the 1970's and witnessed much of it being built)
  • Saratoga Springs - Home of the famous Saratoga Race Tracks. One flat track and one harness track.
  • Lake George - Resort area but out of season - A quick drive through might be interesting.
  • North Creek - White Water Rafting Area
  • Blue Mountain Lake - Adirondack Museum
  • Long Lake - Tupper Lake - Saranac Lake
  • Whiteface Mountain - Major Ski area.
  • Lake Placid - Think you've heard of this year round ski resort area
  • Rt 9N drive along Lake George
  • Whitehall - Birthplace of the US Navy! Not tourism oriented.
  • Back to Rutland and end of road tour.
This is just a short outline of the route I provided and if you can't find enough for a full vacation with this tour, then it's possible that the Adirondacks may not be for you! LOL

Enjoy the trip if you do chose to take it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back