Family bedroom - 20000 points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Do I understand right that both Bedroom and Family Bedroom (which is for 4 people) are 20000 points within one zone?

Do I understand right that both Bedroom and Family Bedroom (which is for 4 people) are 20000 points within one zone?
Yes, the regular bedroom and the family bedroom are the same level. And the roomette and the accessible bedroom are the same level.

And the award includes the railfare and meals for all in the room - up to the allowable capacity of the room!

Yes, the regular bedroom and the family bedroom are the same level. And the roomette and the accessible bedroom are the same level.

And the award includes the railfare and meals for all in the room - up to the allowable capacity of the room!
What is "accessible bedroom"? How to get it?

It's more commonly refered to as the handicapped room, however the "accessible room" is the politically correct term. You must have some type of disability and be able to prove it in order to book this room. It can only hold two occupants and you have to call Amtrak or AGR to get this room. It cannot be booked online.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more commonly refered to as the handicapped room, however the "accessible room" is the politically correct term. You must have some type of disability and be able to prove it in order to book this room. It can only hold two occupants and you have to call Amtrak or AGR to get this room. It cannot be booked online.
I thought there was some discussion suggesting that under some set of circumstances which seem to vary wildly depending on which agent you get, a non-disabled person may be able to book the accessible bedroom if all of the other sleeping compartments on the train are already booked and/or the reservation is made only a week or two before the departure of the train.

I thought there was some discussion suggesting that under some set of circumstances which seem to vary wildly depending on which agent you get, a non-disabled person may be able to book the accessible bedroom if all of the other sleeping compartments on the train are already booked and/or the reservation is made only a week or two before the departure of the train.
Yes, there are occasions where one can score the accessible room, but it doesn't happen often. Most times they do sell out.

But the conditions are, no earlier than two weeks prior to the trains departure from its originating station and only if all bedrooms have been sold out.

But the conditions are, no earlier than two weeks prior to the trains departure from its originating station and only if all bedrooms have been sold out.
Does tha mean that the Family Bedrooms and Roomettes on that train have to have sold out in addition to the Bedrooms, or just the Bedrooms?
I think that it's just the bedrooms, as the other rooms are not comparable.

That's a pretty arbitrary distinction. I kinda figure the Superliner Accessible Bedrooms are the only rooms as good as the Roomettes, but that's because I'm focused on the length of the lower berth.
It's not that arbitrary. The accessible rooms is the only other room that is comparable in size to a bedroom. And on the Viewliner, it's also the only other room with a full bathroom/shower. On the Superliner you loose the shower, but still get an ensuite toilet.

I believe that Amtrak.com mentions the bedrooms and the family bedrooms have to be sold out first, before a non-handicapped person can reserve the accessible bedroom. Of course, during the last two weeks before departure. I assume by omission, only the roomette's don't count.

Wait a sec. I am mucho confuso. If you give 15,000 points for a roomette, that pays for two peoples rail fair and all? I thought just 1.

Wait a sec. I am mucho confuso. If you give 15,000 points for a roomette, that pays for two peoples rail fair and all? I thought just 1.
It fully includes all the people that can officially fit into the room.

Just to add, for the Family Bedroom, that's two adults and two kids (not four adults even if two of them are pretty short).

I believe that Amtrak.com mentions the bedrooms and the family bedrooms have to be sold out first, before a non-handicapped person can reserve the accessible bedroom. Of course, during the last two weeks before departure. I assume by omission, only the roomette's don't count.
If all the bedrooms and family bedrooms on the train are booked, I would venture a guess that accommodations are up to the highest bucket price. So, a non-handicapped passenger might be paying quite a hefty premium for that accessible bedroom.

Back