Family Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TransitRider

Service Attendant
In next few months I am taking my own family on Amtrak trip to Seattle so I need anyone's experience of taking family bedroom on these routes. I am leaving Orlando to Seattle. I Know CHI to SEA only has the family bedroom so should I take the bedroom from ORL to CHI via WAS for me, my new gf and 2 kids.

Will this fit? It will be my first family trip.

Any tips/advice is appreicated :)

Four in a Bedroom might be possible, but it only has two beds. Amtrak let me book two adults and a child in the Bedroom, but they might not allow two kids and two adults. You might be happier in two roomettes. The Family bedroom is plenty big for four, as long as the kids fit into the kid bunks.

I do not believe that amtrak will allow you to book four people into a bedroom from ORL to CHI. But you would be fine with two roomettes. The family bedroom will be fine for you from CHI to SEA as long as your kids are short enough to fit in the smaller (in length) beds.

All posting before me are correct, you're biggest problem is Orland to DC. That's probably best addressed by getting two roomettes, as you won't be able to book four into a Bedroom.

Once at DC, unless you've elected to take the Cardinal, you can get a family room on the Capitol and then the Empire Builder. The key here is that the kids need to be 4'9" or shorter, otherwise they may be cramped in the child sized bunks. If the "kids" are teenagers, then you might still be better off with two roomettes.

IMO,

2 roomettes all the way....

my $0.02 bit...

Have a good trip

Cheers

The kid bunks are a little short, but someone up to 5' 4" can curl up in one. Two friendly adults can fit in the lower, freeing the upper for another larger kid. It is nicer to be in one room, but call the 800 number and get two roomettes across from each other if you can. Low bucket for the family bedroom is surprisingly inexpensive, but since there are only 2 or 3 per train they go up quickly! Roomettes seem to sell out a bit more slowly.

We did a family bedroom once for five - three kids and two adults -- some things best not repeated. You have two full size single beds, and two midget beds. If your kids are relatively small, it works fine, but a major downside in my mind is that although the room goes totally across the car, you have two small square windows to look out of. Pretty confining feeling, and the door is solid, so you can't look back into the hall way.

What we did afterwards was to get two economy bedrooms and request that they are across from one another. During the day, room 1 becomes rodent land, and they can play, read, watch movies, and maul each other. Across the hall, us old folk can read and relax, only pausing periodically to pry fingers from necks :lol: At night, the wife and I separate, and we both take lower beds while the kids take the upper bunks. This works really well if you get lower level rooms since there isn't much through traffic, you're right by your luggage, and the bathrooms are right down the hall. Admittedly, this is a little more expensive than the Family bedroom, but it'll make for a more restful trip in the end.

Now our daughter is in college, and our son is a high school junior. But we're still old folk!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my new girl and 2 babies and 1 is 8 months and 1 is 3 years old... I am not going to get roomette. I will get bedroom full trip.

Thanks for the advice

Me and my new girl and 2 babies and 1 is 8 months and 1 is 3 years old... I am not going to get roomette. I will get bedroom full trip.
Thanks for the advice
I'm not sure if they will allow the four of you in a bedroom-I would call & double check. Even though the children are both pretty little, it may be a close fit. They may have to reserve it for you over the phone. You should have no problem with a family bedroom, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back