Fare differences - different trains for the same routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
I was looking to maybe travel between Richmond or Emeryville, CA to Martinez and was looking at the prices. Cheapest was San Joaquins for $6 one way (EMY or RIC). Capitol Corridor is $12 from RIC or $13 from EMY. But depending on the day it might be $8 on San Joaquins, but the CZ is actually anywhere from $4 to $8 RIC-MTZ.

CZ is rather interesting. For tomorrow I'm seeing $4 coach, but $87 if I want a room. Obviously doesn't make sense for less than 25 minutes.

Strangely enough, the only time I've ever used MTZ was the time I had a beer buzz and I forgot to get off at RIC and continued on. I flagged down a conductor who wrote a note asking another conductor to allow me a MTZ-RIC return trip. Had to wait a while, and the first train that arrived was a San Joaquins with Horizon Cars. The conductor said no problem even though I didn't have a reservation, although I've heard that between OKJ and MTZ Capitol Corridor tickets are honored on the SJ.

Back