Fare increase

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to leave. But before I do I'm going to post that I'm leaving. Because it's very important that you know this. Otherwise you might not realize I had left.
Fortunately, I don't have these types of problems as demonstrated by the way cool What happened to Thirdrail 7? thread. ^_^

200.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
State supported routes were not included.
Is the Coast Starlight considered a state supported route?
No, it is Amtrak long distance route. It does coincidentally share much of it's route with the Pacific Surfliner and the Cascades, both of which are state(s) supported.

--Bill
...and I forgot to add the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin, both of which are also state supported and share some roadway with the Amtrak long distance Coast Starlight.

--Bill

The strange thing about those fare buckets is that I've never seen anything but the high bucket for a Family Bedroom on the CL. It has always been around $600 for the last few years when I've looked. Whether for travel on the day of the check or 11 months in the future. No other seeping accommodation on any LD train has been like that.

The strange thing about those fare buckets is that I've never seen anything but the high bucket for a Family Bedroom on the CL. It has always been around $600 for the last few years when I've looked. Whether for travel on the day of the check or 11 months in the future. No other seeping accommodation on any LD train has been like that.
If that's the case then doesn't it say that the buckets are priced too low on this service and that the highest bucket should actually be the lowest bucket price and demand could dictate higher fares??

If that's the case then doesn't it say that the buckets are priced too low on this service and that the highest bucket should actually be the lowest bucket price and demand could dictate higher fares??
I don't think so because the $606 fits nicely in between the high bucket fares for Roomettes and Bedrooms on the CL. The estimates for the lower 4 Family Bedroom buckets were made by reducing the $606 in 20% increments down to the low bucket estimate of $248. And that $248 bucket also fits nicely in between the actual low buckets found for the Roomette and Bedroom on the CL.

FWIW, most (but not all) LD trains' buckets for coach and sleepers show approximately 25% increases (or 20% decreases) between successive buckets. One notable exception is the Silver Star.

I believe there is a congressional stipulation that the maximum high bucket sleeper fare can only be N times the lowest coach fare, or something like that, which would presumably require raising coach fares as well. I don't remember the details and I'm not sure how discounted fares factor into this but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can weigh in with some clarification.

I believe there is a congressional stipulation that the maximum high bucket sleeper fare can only be N times the lowest coach fare, or something like that, which would presumably require raising coach fares as well. I don't remember the details and I'm not sure how discounted fares factor into this but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can weigh in with some clarification.
If so, the ratio of the high bucket Bedroom to the Saver Fare (N) ranges from 4.14 (CONO) to 12.95 (CS) with an average of 10.07 for the 14 trains with sleepers. But I suppose just because Congress has set an upper limit doesn't necessarily mean every train is priced that way - I think (or guess). .

A 1% fare increase went into effect for Acela Express and Long Distance trains yesterday, January 24.
Thanks. Good to know. ...
I bought a low bucket regional ticket BAL - WAS this morning. Fare increase of $1. (from $17 to $18) That would represent a 6% fare increase.
If the market will bear it, by all means Amtrak should raise fares. Of course, if tickets become overpriced, sales will decline. But I'm trusting Amtrak to know how much it can get from its customers. It may badly need the added income in view of the hostility in Washington, especially in the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back