Fare runaround, Summer 2009

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. We have usually had outstanding interactions with Amtrak employees but this time some wires really got crossed. We had purchased tickets to Denver from Seattle for last August in advance, so the total was about $700 each. Something came up and we had to cancel the trip. Bruce was told just before that we could apply the fare to a round trip to Montreal, (the same convention in a different location, so at the same time of year in 2009) which, if we got it early enough, would be about the same price.

Since August Bruce has been contacting Amtrak to get these new reservations, and was told that he had to wait a couple weeks, tickets could not be purchased until October 11-- we even walked down to the train station and inquired in person and were told to call in a week or so.

This morning Bruce called and was told if we wanted the tickets to Montreal, the price would actually be double, about $1400 each. Unfortunately, at the moment that is beyond our means. He was told that since it was a busy travel time there were no discounts. This reminds us of the unpleasant runarounds we have gotten with air travel and is frankly, very disillusioning.

Even purchased this far in advance, there is no discount on tickets? Is this a policy change? A few years ago we purchased tickets for a trip to California to visit my family for Christmas and I imagine that was a busy time as well, but we did manage to get more reasonable fare by purchasing earlier, and only a few months earlier, too. Is the new popularity of train travel now raising the prices to be out of reach of those with modest means? :(

What exactly do you mean by "... no discounts"? :huh: Do you mean something like V___ (or such) or a "regular" discount like AAA or senior? :huh:

If you mean the V___ discounts, they used to be issued to last usually for January to December. Now, many are issued to last only 1-3 months and for certain routes. The "regular" discounts are always available.

Also, with more people traveling by train, the fares you have to pay may be higher. Fares are sold by "buckets" - that is once a certain number are sold for that train on that travel date, the fare will rise to the next "bucket". And unlike air, there is no "set date" (like 30 days, 21 days, 14 days, etc...), once that number is reached, the fare will rise.

So it's possible that to travel on May 13 may be in the highest bucket and on May 14 may be in the lowest bucket! And on routes with multiple trains, the 5 PM may be in the highest bucket, but the 7 PM could be in the lowest bucket!

If possible, you may want to check the days and/or time around when you want to travel. It's possible they may be less.

Also, tickets can not be booked more than 11 months in advance.

Also, on Amtrak, a round trip ticket cost the same as 2 one way tickets. So there is no advantage to booking a round trip ticket over 2 one-way tickets. Actually, it could be a disadvantage! If one portion is not available for the discount (such as because of a blackout date), you will not get any discount if you book a round trip ticket. However, if you book 2 one-way tickets, you could use the discount on the one way that it applies!

Last edited by a moderator:
..., (the same convention in a different location, so at the same time of year in 2009) which, if we got it early enough, would be about the same price.
Where you getting some kind of convention discount, which possibly, isn't available for 2009? Or not available yet?

I would check with the organization who is running your 2009 convention and ask if they have negotiated any travel discounts and specifically one with Amtrak.

According to google maps, the mileage by road from Seattle to Montreal is 2,913 miles. The distance by road from Seattle to Denver is 1,332. It makes sense to me that a trip that is twice is long will cost twice as much.

I am sorry you are getting the run around with amtrak, though. Did you actually price out tickets last year, or did you just go on the word of this agent?

Bruce was told just before that we could apply the fare to a round trip to Montreal, (the same convention in a different location, so at the same time of year in 2009) which, if we got it early enough, would be about the same price.
This morning Bruce called and was told if we wanted the tickets to Montreal, the price would actually be double, about $1400 each. Unfortunately, at the moment that is beyond our means. He was told that since it was a busy travel time there were no discounts.
I never heard that discounts depended on whether or not it was a busy travel time. AAA gives 10% off in every case.

$1400 sounds like a lot. Are you talking about Sleeping Cars? When I checked on-line just now, I see that the Fare from Seattle to Montreal on Amtrak for Aug 1, 2009 would be $334 per person, each way, in Coach. Maybe that's what somebody once meant when they said it would be "about the same price".

Montreal is not particularly convenient to get to from Seattle by Train. Using Amtrak, you would have two overnights on the Empire Builder, transfer in Chicago, overnight on the LakeShore Limited, spend the night in Schenectady (or someplace), and head North the next day to arrive at 7:10 PM (if everything is on schedule) of August 5th... so five days underway eastbound, and three consecutive overnights in Coach. Definitely adventure-style travel!

You could also go from Chicago to Port Huron and transfer on your own to Sarnia, then take the Canadian Trains. Or get off at Buffalo and somehow transfer to Toronto and then Montreal. Better yet, take the Cascades Train north one morning, then the Canadian cross-country train that evening (departs three times per week). If you leave Seattle the morning of August 2, you could arrive in Montreal at 5:17 PM on August 6 after four overnights on-board and a transfer at Toronto. The Canadian Trains are expensive, but you can buy a nation-wide Pass and save some money, especially for a round trip.

Unless your time is very much at leisure, this might not be the best way to get to your Convention. If you go, I'd allow an extra day in case of delays. For a Convention beginning say Aug 7th, I'd be sure to arrive on the 5th. Of course this does not save on Hotel Bills, but probably beats missing the whole thing because of some missed connection or other mix-up along the way.

Good Luck!

Also, on Amtrak, a round trip ticket cost the same as 2 one way tickets. So there is no advantage to booking a round trip ticket over 2 one-way tickets.
Except where it's not. There are a few cases where a round trip will get you some discount, at the expense of the ticket being non-refundable, generally with a three day advanced purchase requirement; this includes riding the Downeaster most or all of the length of the route any day of the week, and Northeast Regional trips that start on a Saturday with the return trip either the same day or the following morning.

In those cases, if you want refundable tickets, the easiest way to get the refundable rate is to book two one way trips.

I think the original poster was astonished by the new higher price of train travel in general. I was thinking myself that the increased popularity of train travel means that advance purchase low bucket prices are much rarer. Being used to Amtraks prices and availabilities over the last 4 years, the 2009 price of train travel, and the price of sleeper accommodation in particular, makes many of my favourite rail trips seem a much more expensive option than even a year ago!

Still, January holds a bargain price lure or two for me.. must book soon!

Ed B)

Lots of weird stuff I don't understand. First of all, I can't imagine a railfare from Seattle to Montreal ever costing the same as from Seattle to Denver. Looking at August of next year, it looks like it's about $720 round trip from SEA to DEN. You can't even book a direct trip from Seattle to Montreal because it requires an overnight stay in CHI and in Schenectedy. Total price round trip would be $1624. In my humble opinion, the communication loss was with the first agent who cancelled the reservation and said that it would be a similar price to go all the way to Montreal.

Think of the bright side... You can make the trip through Vancouver for $2500 (or get the North American Rail Pass for $1000 each)!

... something came up and we had to cancel the trip.... was told just before that we could apply the fare to a round trip to Montreal

Why don't you give us the dates you want to travel. That would be more helpful than guessing.

example: booked RT DEN-MTR 2 adults dp 11MAY09 rt 22MAY09 = Adult, $868 NARP, $781.20, with Roomettes RT + NARP $1,598.20

First, dont hold someone accountable for guessing at what prices might be a year from now. Please, a little common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back