Favorite Amtrak Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What is your favorite Amtrak car? Mine is the Superliner lounges.

What is your favorite Amtrak car? Mine is the Superliner lounges.
Aloha

Not sure I have a favorite. I have enjoyed Parler on the Coast Starlight, but on all my trips the chance to meet people in the lounges is a treat. Also this is why I have enjoyed the diner's comunity seating. One of these.... I will try all of the LD routes :eek: :lol: :rolleyes:

Viewliner Sleeper's for riding

Heritage slumbercoach in phase III with the "stairstepped" windows is my favorite for a uniqe look

Pacific Parlor car is my favorite one single car. For riding, Superliner Deluxe bedroom. And I really do enjoy the extra windows in a viewliner.

I am going on my first Superliner next week, but having traveled on Viewliner and Heritage many times...

1. Lounge Car

2. Diner

And for the LEAST favorite car... those Amfleet I coachs I rode on the Maple Leaf in the late 80's... they truly earned their nickname... CRAMFLEET!

Tideman

Jame McKenzie

B)

I prefer the Superliner standard bedroom to the Viewliner standard bedroom. Unless you're sleeping in the upper berth, I think the second row of windows is over-rated. Also, while some might find it handy, and I do like the idea of having a sink in the room, I don't really like sitting and sleeping right next to a toilet. #2 always happens down the hall.

Well Ive always liked the Amfleet I and II cars, especially the Amfleet IIs. They have a nice modern, aerodynamic look to them, they are pretty comfortable and have a good ride.

I like all the Amtrak cars though, Superliners, Viewliners, Heritage . . . they have a pretty good fleet of cars. The only type of car I dont care for is the Horizon fleet, they were uncomfortable and rough riding. Thats because they pretty much are commuter cars and not really made for the intercity Amtrak travel. The 60 seat Horizon conversions are much more comfortable I hear though.

The old El Cap ATSF hi level cars. And I still hear rumors that one of the coaches is still lurking about on the Amtrak system somewhere.

Anthony said:
Hmm, I see we had the same idea. :lol:
Kind of ironic. As long as its not in the coffee, although that would explain why it tastes like... Seriously, the coffee is pretty good, the thought just reminded me of a scene in the Second Austin Powers movie.

panamaclipper said:
The old El Cap ATSF hi level cars. And I still hear rumors that one of the coaches is still lurking about on the Amtrak system somewhere.
The Heartland Flyer uses a couple of them. They were specially rebuilt for service here. As far as I know, these are the only ones in use by Amtrak.

My favorite car was the dome car which I got to ride in from Rantoul, IL to Chicago. What a view!

I also like Superliner sleepers better than Viewliners. I like being higher up and having separate restrooms. However, the Viewliners tend to be cleaner, which is nice.

I think my favorite cars are the Pacific Parlor. What a great use of the old Santa Fe Hi-Level lounges. Now, if only Amtrak would put something like that on the Empire Builder (Hi-Line Parlor perhaps?). :D

well getting back on topic....

my two favorites (although I've never ridden on either) are:

A) The Viewliner (either sleeper or dinner)

B) Beech Grove (amfleet buissness car)

peter

:rolleyes: I think my favorite car would also be the Lounge car. We will be on a sleeper on Jan 15th, so I haven't tried that one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back