Favorite Sleeper Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Sleeper Equipment

• Superliner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Viewliner

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliner said:
Thats ok, but that's the truth, after all, nothing is perfect in life.
And that is the truth. :) Nothing is perfect.

As a computer consultant people often say to me, well the computer lost my data or the computer screwed up my bill. The simple fact is we as humans are not perfect, therefore nothing that we build, make, or program can be perfect.

When a computer can build itself, program itself, and enter its own data, then and only then will it be perfect. Of course the problem then would be, that it could decide that it doesn't need us, much like the premise of the Terminator movie. :eek:

When a computer can build itself, program itself, and enter its own data, then and only then will it be perfect. Of course the problem then would be, that it could decide that it doesn't need us, much like the premise of the Terminator movie.
Alan, I'm counting on you not to let that happen. :lol:

Of the many points just made, tuballen said something about friendliness. I, too, think people are friendlier on long distance superliner not for some structural reason, or geographical reason, but just because they are more in a cruise mode----they deliberately have chosen to take a long relaxed trip, whereas, that may not be the frame of mind on shorter trips, such as LSL. But in superliners people do have a "gathering"space at the top of the stairs where the coffee is...some people socialize there.

ALso about the infirm having difficulty with steps and such on the Superliner---very true, but then the accssible bedroom itself is downstairs, so if the attendant brings you your meals, you really do not have to worry, so long as you book the special room in advance. But , yes there are people who are not as infirm as others, but in lesser dregree.....so for some of them, yes, the Superliner would be bad.

Well it really depends on the person too. I personally am very open when I'm on the train, but that probably comes as no shock however because I do hang out with the crew, so they are inevitably answering questions, so it's just something I've grown acustomed too. My Mom however is a different story, when she gets to the room, the first thing she does after she puts her stuff down is to close the door or put on headphones, as she doesn't want to talk to anyone she doesn't know. It all depends on the people you have in the car.

I'm an introvert in most cases but I open up on the train because so many people are needing help information. The people you sit with in the diner, for example, often have many,many questions. so I open up to them and try to help.

When when I was a kid I would help people understand bulletin boards, etc when I was not even on the train. And if one person hears you answer a question, sometimes all around you start asking questions.

Once, years ago, in a darkened dome car on the Texas Eagle, somebody in the dark asked a question. I answered it. Then all around,all this in the dark, mind you,people started asking me questions. I eventually got over it and crept downstairs and left them talking and asking....

I think the most comfortable sleeping accommodation of any of the trains is the HANDICAPPED VIEWLINER BEDROOM.

I had the privilege of staying in one of these when all of the deluxe bedrooms were sold out. It is much larger, and the

bathroom is big enough to accommodate a wheelchair. The shower in the bathroom is very adequate, as it allows you

to sit down and use the handshower. You never feel cramped in this bedroom and it's the one you should request when the deluxe rooms are sold out. You will be happy you did.

Well according to Amtrak rules, technically you are not supposed to be in room H unless you are handicapped, although exceptions are made. I have seen many ocassions where a Conductor will try to sell Room H to a non-Handicapped customer, and space control will not allow it. I personally do not like room H because it is right over the trucks and right next to the door of the car. I personally like Room 2 best, as it is near the middle of the car, and I'm also on the bigger side when I face the rear (my Mom always has the forward facing seat).

Well according to Amtrak rules, technically you are not supposed to be in room H unless you are handicapped, although exceptions are made.
Amtrak will sell handicap accessible rooms to non-accessible passengers if the rooms are not booked within 2 weeks prior to departure. Depending on your ability to tolerate noise and motion, I do not like being over the truck and prefer to have rooms 1, 3, or 5 when traveling in a Viewliner as you can't sleep facing forward in the even rooms.

Amfleet said:
Well according to Amtrak rules, technically you are not supposed to be in room H unless you are handicapped, although exceptions are made.
Amtrak will sell handicap accessible rooms to non-accessible passengers if the rooms are not booked within 2 weeks prior to departure. Depending on your ability to tolerate noise and motion, I do not like being over the truck and prefer to have rooms 1, 3, or 5 when traveling in a Viewliner as you can't sleep facing forward in the even rooms.
Amfleet is correct that anyone can buy the handicapped room, if it isn't sold.

We want to ensure that our accessible bedrooms are available to passengers who need them. So we give certified mobility-impaired guests exclusive booking rights for these rooms until 14 days before departure.
The above quote can be found on Amtrak's website here. Even a conductor can sell that room on board to a non-handicapped person if it is empty. If a conductor tells you otherwise then he is either mis-informed or just being lazy and not wanting to deal with the paper work.

Amfleet, Oddly enough I prefer the even rooms and not the odd numbered rooms. I don't really care which way I sleep, feet first in the odd numbers or head first in the even numbers. However, in the even rooms I can sit facing forward and look out the window, while still glancing at the TV if I like. In the odd rooms I'm sitting backwards if I want to watch the TV. This of course assumes that Amtrak has orientated the sleeper with the deluxe bedrooms at the head end. Generally they do this, although I have hit a few sleepers that were orientated the other way.

Amfleet, Oddly enough I prefer the even rooms and not the odd numbered rooms. I don't really care which way I sleep, feet first in the odd numbers or head first in the even numbers. However, in the even rooms I can sit facing forward and look out the window, while still glancing at the TV if I like. In the odd rooms I'm sitting backwards if I want to watch the TV. This of course assumes that Amtrak has orientated the sleeper with the deluxe bedrooms at the head end. Generally they do this, although I have hit a few sleepers that were orientated the other way.
I'm about 170 pounds, so I like having the extra room in the wider seat and rather sit facing forward. I also found the video system to be somewhat poor and I can watch movies on my laptop anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back