February 2015 Performance Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The February Performance Report is out. For those of you in the know, do you see anything that really stands out, good or bad?
Yes, February 2015 was a very mixed bag for Amtrak. Especially for the LD trains. I may get around to posting a summary in a day or two. Where are Neroden and Anderson for their summaries?

Bus revenue is up 30%. (NC?)

Midwest corridor routes aren't doing well.

Some specific routes got hammered in Feb due to weather such as Downeaster, Piedmont, Cascades.

Vermonter ridership is up a lot, but ticket sales are actually under budget: more short hauls than they expected with the Conn Valley realignment? Ethan Allen down slightly, dunno if that means some substitution or if both trains would be down if the Northampton routing wasn't juicing VTer. If I had to guess (obviously I don't have stop level info) the weather may have deterred the usual ski weekend activity and so travel from NY to VT was down.

The Card got socked by the oil train derailment.

Cali corridor trains are doing well. Perhaps result of economic improvement. However on East Coast the drop in oil prices seems to put Amtrak ridership in a holding pattern.

Also, you can glean from the performance report that Amtrak is trying to get less LD customers, each paying more. They jacked up fares, ridership went down but sleeper customers just paid more so that improves the financials. Given the restrictions Congressional restrictions on how they allocate costs, what they are doing does make sense. Sleeper compares to air+hotel, whereas coach riders are comparing to bus travel and some buses are much cheaper and sometimes faster. Many of them can't afford to pay a premium for comfort.

Corridor, however, is competing with cars, so speed improvements will draw riders in and gas price drops will draw ridership out. Right now there are few speed improvements to point to (except what is going on with Vermonter) but gas prices took a big dip (starting to revert to the mean now, though). So it's not surprising what is going on with the corridors. If the USDOT and the states could invest in speed improvements it would help the corridor trains, I think, but it might be a few years before that happens.

Amtrak seems to blame LSL drops on gas prices and weather, but the chatter I've heard online would indicate that riders are fed up with terrible OTP ongoing since last year and are abandoning the mode, which would be really bad news for Amtrak. (LSL grew a lot in the last decade and has been doing much better financially so it would be a shame if the damn Class I freights kill it.)

I noticed that Texas Eagle has gone from a niche train to one of the big boys of Amtrak LD. I wonder how it stacks up financially since it's not as long as EB, CZ, or SWC (right?). I wonder if that integrated schedule with Sunset Ltd helps. That train is up as well. Scanning the bottom line it seems like TE does not bring in the revenue per passenger of other trains. Be interesting to discuss the economics of that train in more depth.

One more thing, the AT changes have brought in an additional 1.5$ million YTD, up 13% YOY, so I don't think Boardman is going to reconsider any time soon. Cha-ching-a-ding-ding.

I'm going to draft a summary while I'm on the Meteor (heading to Baltimore this morning; I'm in RVR right now). Long story short, the December and January reports both hit at lousy times for me (December while I was on vacation in Canada, January as it turned out right before I got to go to a friend's grandmother's funeral). I should be able to get this one done today, though.

This is going to come in several chunks (I'm trying to get something out before my train arrives and I lose wifi), but a short bit on sleepers:
(1) The Cardinal took a smack from the oil train, as noted. I believe that the drops on the Cap, Starlight, etc. came in at least some part from the equipment cuts (less capacity being available on the few truly busy days) as well as the disruptions noted elsewhere.
(2) I want to say that the strength of the Sunset/Eagle is down to a disruption last year. Ditto the Star and Crescent, IIRC.
(3) The Auto Train is a standout here...and February is often one of the lousy months for it.

More later.

The February Performance Report is out. For those of you in the know, do you see anything that really stands out, good or bad?
Yes, February 2015 was a very mixed bag for Amtrak. Especially for the LD trains. I may get around to posting a summary in a day or two. Where are Neroden and Anderson for their summaries?
Organizing an event out of town. Travelled by Amtrak. I will read it sometime after I get back.

As noted by Bus Nut, Downeaster had another ugly month, with not just poor ridership and ticket revenue, but the trains that DID run were almost never on time (I believe the endpoint OTP figure was about 4.7% IIRC).

Silver lining - FY 2016 ought to be a banner year in comparison! :rolleyes:

More detailed analysis, as promised!

February was a decidedly mixed bag, as noted above. The weather was part of this, and I am really inclined to blame that for a lot of the issues. On the LD front, there's the added complication of the equipment cuts (I'll discuss that in a bit more depth when I get to it), but suffice it to say that while those may have helped on the cost front (and may do some good if the downtime is used to coordinate shop schedules and increase peak-season capacity a bit), it likely made a modest dent in revenue.

Northeast Corridor
As always, we have two participants on the NEC: The Acela and the Regionals. For anyone reading one of my analyses for the first time, I ignore "Special Trains" as an erradic footnote with no material impact on Amtrak's operations.

The Acela did not have a great February. As we can all remember, February was a memorable month for Boston and the surrounding area, mainly for the mountains of snow which piled up with great fervor. Such mountains of snow are wont to trigger mountains of cancellations, and of the two services the Acela always seems to get hit harder by these. In particular, if the wires go down the Regionals can get a pinch-hitting diesel in. Not so much for the Acelas. The cold also does a bit more harm to the Acelas' mechanical side, and per the report shop counts spiked.

The Regionals, on the other hand, had a good month. I'm going to give more credit to the weather than Amtrak is here: Amtrak is about the last service to shut down when the weather goes bad, and the Regionals likely picked up diversions not only from the Acelas, but from some mix of cancelled flights and so on (the bump in Keystone ridership hints at this as well...I seem to recall a few cases where Amtrak was able to keep running in the face of slashed commuter operations). Still, the spike in ridership for February is quite stunning (anytime a spike breaks 10% it is worth taking note). One other factor that hints at weather as the factor is that while ridership spiked dramatically, revenue didn't rise by nearly as much. This hints at there either being a major sale or an increase in short-distance ridership to offset any spike in load factor-induced revenue. Given the circumstances, I'm betting on increased short-distance ridership.

State Corridors
As usual, I'm going to look at the highlights (and, yes, lowlights) here. The numbers are a mixed bag, but it should be noted that 18 of the routes showed a ridership increase year-over-year (11 showed declines), but in at least one case of a decline (Richmond-Washington) the decline was more than offset by an increase on a corresponding route.

Weather was an obvious culprit for ridership *ahem* sliding on the Cascades, as well as the Downeaster (and probably the Upstate Empire and Ethan Allan). There was a generalized softness in the Midwest (about half of the routes saw ridership slide). There was a plus to the weather, though, as most of the Virginia Regionals saw major jumps in ridership, as did the Vermonter and the Keystone (the Keystone saw a PPR slide; again, I'm betting that the Keystones got stuck pinch-hitting for SEPTA on a few days).

A word on Virginia: There's some accounting garbage in the mix here (witness the disconnect between ridership moves and revenue moves). In short, some costs (and likely some revenue) got shifted between the Richmond trains and the Norfolk and Newport News trains. With that said, Norfolk is having a good year as its opening ramp-up continues to play out. All four are in the black prior to OPEBs, etc. (Richmond is barely in the red once those come into play). The state's performance in FY15 is not as strong as it was in FY14, but (again) that's down to a bunch of costs moving around.

Outside of Virginia, high marks without qualification for weather go to the Pennsylvanian (which has been on an impressive run the last year or so) and Surfliner (which has had a complex history as of late but has been doing well in spite of the infamous fare hikes a few years back).

Long Distance
As noted earlier, I'm distinguishing between sleeper performance and "whole train" (i.e. sleeper plus coach) performance.

Ridership was down on the LD trains in general, but a lot of this was buried in disruptions (LSL, Starlight, and Cardinal) and capacity cuts (LSL, Starlight, Builder, Capitol Limited). The capacity cuts did their damage because a number of trains would still fill at least some of the cut cars on a few days...but also because of how the cuts interacted with Arrow's emphasis on achieving certain load factors.

On the sleeper side of things...well, the sleepers and the coach+sleeper numbers might as well be separate trains. Sleeper ridership was up by 1200 while overall ridership was down by 12,000 (meaning that coach ridership got smacked by about 13,000). Except in cases where capacity cuts seem to have played a role (particularly on the Cap and Starlight) or where the disruptions were grave (the Cardinal), sleeper traffic performed about 10% better than coach traffic. Possibly the most jarring case was the Cardinal: Overall ridership was down by 8.5% but sleeper traffic rose by 10%.

The Starlight was about the only train where the sleepers significantly underperformed the coach side of things. There were two factors to blame for this, both related: On the one hand, sleeper space got cut drastically (there were, IIRC, two sleeping cars cut for a time) which likely squeezed the train over Presidents' Day (and other peak-ish days). On the other hand, the cutting of the PPC likely cost Amtrak a good deal of daytime "second sales" of sleeper space on each end of the trip. The combined effect here is drastic; were it not for these factors, based on other trains' behavior I'd expect that sleeper traffic would have been down by somewherein the range of 5-10% (rather than off by over 20%).

Overall
(1) The improved load factors for the month can probably be ignored, by and large, due to the LD capacity cuts. In a sense, there was not much improvement here...this is down to the fact that the cuts pulled some mostly-empty cars off the tracks more than Amtrak filling space.

(2) There's a broad-based bit of shenanigans going on with the "OPEBs, IG, etc." line in the financials. That line is up sharply, such that Amtrak would be ahead of last year without it but is notionally behind last year with it. Something is being screwed with here (this set of items has been messed with on an almost annual basis over the last few years).

Edit: Cut a second paste of the report.

Last edited by a moderator:
That report is so solid, you pasted it twice! :)

There's a broad-based bit of shenanigans going on with the "OPEBs, IG, etc." line in the financials. That line is up sharply, such that Amtrak would be ahead of last year without it but is notionally behind last year with it. Something is being screwed with here (this set of items has been messed with on an almost annual basis over the last few years).
Maybe one day, they'll finally catch up on ALL their losses and won't have anything to report but PROFIT! Ya rite... It seems like they LOOK for ways to show a loss.

That report is so solid, you pasted it twice! :)

There's a broad-based bit of shenanigans going on with the "OPEBs, IG, etc." line in the financials. That line is up sharply, such that Amtrak would be ahead of last year without it but is notionally behind last year with it. Something is being screwed with here (this set of items has been messed with on an almost annual basis over the last few years).
Maybe one day, they'll finally catch up on ALL their losses and won't have anything to report but PROFIT! Ya rite... It seems like they LOOK for ways to show a loss.
It's not so much that (from what I can tell they've been trying to show incremental improvement year-over-year) as it is the accounting just generally being a basket case.

The Starlight was about the only train where the sleepers significantly underperformed the coach side of things. There were two factors to blame for this, both related: On the one hand, sleeper space got cut drastically (there were, IIRC, two sleeping cars cut for a time) which likely squeezed the train over Presidents' Day (and other peak-ish days). On the other hand, the cutting of the PPC likely cost Amtrak a good deal of daytime "second sales" of sleeper space on each end of the trip. The combined effect here is drastic; were it not for these factors, based on other trains' behavior I'd expect that sleeper traffic would have been down by somewhere in the range of 5-10% (rather than off by over 20%).
For the Coast Starlight, you are overlooking the effect of the track work and resulting service interruptions on the northern end of the route. IIRC, there was also one or more service disruptions due to grade crossing collisions.

Comments on the February 2015 Monthly Performance Report

The February results are a mixed bag. During January and February with a pronounced dropoff in ridership, the operating losses go up. In February, the adjusted operating loss for the month was $73.8 million and for the Year-To-Date, the system adjusted loss was $107.5 million. Fuel, Power, & Utilities expenses are running solidly below budget, which can be attributed to the drop in fuel costs. “Other Expenses” however are markedly exceeding the budget.

Ridership and Ticket Revenue

Big picture look at the ridership and revenue numbers. The silver lining is that system ridership is still ahead of FY2014, so if there is some recovery in the Midwest and eastern corridor routes and the LD routes with better weather and OTP, FY2015 ridership could be up 2.5 to 3% over FY2014. All 3 California corridors are showing solid ridership growth after several years of weak growth or decline.

Ridership and Revenue summary for the month of February:

System: ridership +3.5%, revenue: +1.5%
Acela: ridership -5.2%, revenue: -3.0%
NE Regional: ridership +12.6%, revenue +6.4%
State supported corridors: ridership +2.8%, revenue +2.4%
LD trains: ridership -4.2%, revenue +0.9%
For the NE Regionals, Feb 2014 was down -3.0% from Feb 2013, so the strong Feb 2015 numbers are partially a rebound from a bad Feb 2014 with the polar vortex.

Ridership and Revenue summary for the YTD from October to February:

System: ridership +1.6%, revenue: +2.3%
Acela: ridership -0.9%, revenue: +2.3%
NE Regional: ridership +3.6%, revenue +3.3%
State supported corridors: ridership +2.0%, revenue +3.1%
LD trains: ridership -1.3%, revenue +0.2%

On-Time Performance: Went the wrong direction in February, down to 62.6% endpoint OTP for the system in February. The Acela endpoint OTP fell to a 28.2% in February, which is likely one of its worse months ever. Meanwhile, the Hoosier State had a remarkable 90.6% OTP for the month, a big improvement over 31.3% OTP in Feb 2014. The Empire Builder achieved 73.2% endpoint OTP in February; will it avoid an OTP collapse this summer?

Weather was an obvious culprit for ridership *ahem* sliding on the Cascades, as well as the Downeaster (and probably the Upstate Empire and Ethan Allan). There was a generalized softness in the Midwest (about half of the routes saw ridership slide). There was a plus to the weather, though, as most of the Virginia Regionals saw major jumps in ridership, as did the Vermonter and the Keystone (the Keystone saw a PPR slide; again, I'm betting that the Keystones got stuck pinch-hitting for SEPTA on a few days).
I would guess NJT, not SEPTA. SEPTA had a ridership increase over last year in Feb per their monthly report. We didn't get squat for snow in Feb, and the SLVs don't seem to collapse into a pile of junk at cold weather, unlike some of the old stuff. There may also have been bleedover from NER -> Keystone between PHL & NYP, from OTP (Keystones did much better than the NER that had to deal with the mess north of NYP).

Auto Train: ~55% of the revenue increase this year is from sleepers. However, each additional sleeper passenger is generating less incremental revenue ($490 YTD in FY14, $410 YTD in FY15). Are we seeing an increase in room occupancy (more people per room)?

(2) I want to say that the strength of the Sunset/Eagle is down to a disruption last year.
Thanks for the input on that. I was wondering. Since Texas has boomed so much in population since Amtrak was founded I wonder what it would take to make TE more of a standout (and a more lucrative) route.

The Starlight was about the only train where the sleepers significantly underperformed the coach side of things. There were two factors to blame for this, both related: On the one hand, sleeper space got cut drastically (there were, IIRC, two sleeping cars cut for a time) which likely squeezed the train over Presidents' Day (and other peak-ish days). On the other hand, the cutting of the PPC likely cost Amtrak a good deal of daytime "second sales" of sleeper space on each end of the trip. The combined effect here is drastic; were it not for these factors, based on other trains' behavior I'd expect that sleeper traffic would have been down by somewhere in the range of 5-10% (rather than off by over 20%).
For the Coast Starlight, you are overlooking the effect of the track work and resulting service interruptions on the northern end of the route. IIRC, there was also one or more service disruptions due to grade crossing collisions.
No, I'm not. My comments were focused on the relative impacts (the disruptions would presumably have hit both sleepers and coach ridership by similar amounts; witness the Cardinal)...with a few exceptions, sleeper numbers ran extremely strongly compared to coach numbers. The Starlight was one of the few cases where the reverse happened (sleepers underperforming coach).

No, I'm not. My comments were focused on the relative impacts (the disruptions would presumably have hit both sleepers and coach ridership by similar amounts; witness the Cardinal)...with a few exceptions, sleeper numbers ran extremely strongly compared to coach numbers. The Starlight was one of the few cases where the reverse happened (sleepers underperforming coach).
Actually trackwork on the northern end might be part of the reason for the atypical sleeper/coach development too. Presumably the northern, overnight end has a larger sleeper passenger proportion than the daytime run between the large population centers in California. So if the northern end ridership takes a hit because of trackwork it is only logical that sleeper ridership dips more than coach, and that any gains in coach ridership on the southern end might be able to offset this.

The Acela did not have a great February. As we can all remember, February was a memorable month for Boston and the surrounding area, mainly for the mountains of snow which piled up with great fervor. Such mountains of snow are wont to trigger mountains of cancellations, and of the two services the Acela always seems to get hit harder by these. In particular, if the wires go down the Regionals can get a pinch-hitting diesel in. Not so much for the Acelas. The cold also does a bit more harm to the Acelas' mechanical side, and per the report shop counts spiked.

No wire issues with the high number of Acela (and to a lesser extent, regional) cancelations. It was all mechanical. Because of that, the Acela cancelations were both in the north and south ends of the NEC, with the south end showing a greater percentage of cancelations than the north end.

NYP-BOS city pair Acela - February:

Trips scheduled: 440

Trips canceled: 59 (13.4%)

Trips >10 min late 325 (73.9%)

Average arrival: 40 minutes late

On-time rate: 12.7%

NYP-WAS city pair Acela - February

Trips scheduled: 720

Trips canceled: 125 (17.3%)

Trips >10 min late 371 (51.6%)

Average arrival: 27 minutes late

On-time rate: 31.1%

Huh. I'm guessing that the cold and/or snow (I forget how much cold there was associated with all the snow) really didn't play well with the Acela's mechanicals?

(And what's the corresponding data for the Regionals?)

Acelas have a tendency to suffer from snow getting sucked into the rear power car causing some level of havoc, which often requires a visit to the maintenance shed to fix up.

En route failures are not uncommon, some recoverable, and some not. On my last Acela ride through snow just outside Baltimore we drifted to a stop. We were told that there is ice formation in the rear power car that needs to be removed. They spent 10 minutes chipping away at it, and then were able to get the thing going again. One conductor said "We struck it lucky today".

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. I'm guessing that the cold and/or snow (I forget how much cold there was associated with all the snow) really didn't play well with the Acela's mechanicals?

(And what's the corresponding data for the Regionals?)
I only keep the Acela info. If I could ever learn how to grab data directly from the train status, I'd add the regionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back