Fee for using a live phone agent?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSP_Train_Hopper

Train Attendant
Hi all,

I was flipping through the latest timetable book and noticed a phrase I had not seen before: "Contact Center Agents ..... A fee may apply to bookings made through a contact center agent, if the booking could have been made through a self-service channel (Amtrak.com, Julie, or Quik-Trak)." (p. 135-136)

I pulled out my stack of old timetable books and noticed that this was added in the Spring 2012 book. Having traveled on a USA Railpass the last two years, I have only had the option of calling in. Has anyone experienced this 'fee' before for regular bookings? Do they actually enforce it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of times what this is there to imply is that there may be lower fares available through those channels versus using a live agent. For example, the weekly specials are only available through the web, you can't get it through an agent. Or if you have a Promo Code you can only use that through a self-service channel. Amtrak, like most companies is trying to shift people to self-service channels as a cost cutting measure.

AFAIK, there is not and never has been a fee for using a live agent. I've never encountered one.

I don't think it applies to Amtrak, but like with airlines you may see a fare of $358 from X to Y. Then you look at Expedia or Travelocity and see X to Y has a fare of $324. That could be the "extra fee" that they're talking about.

Some companies I do business with have started this practice of charging a fee for using a live agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back