Finally get to use my points on a trip. Yippppeee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingee

OBS Chief
:DJust booked a trip for next year from Bloomington, Illinois to Ft. Lauderdale. On the reverse trip, it was more money so we used our points for that trip. Then the agent said that coach was sold out from Chicago to Bloomington so we are getting a roomette for that. Fine with me. All it cost us for the return trip was $70 to switch points from my husband's account to mine. The agent said we would not loose our points unless we did not cancel right before the scheduled trip. So basically three roomettes coming back.

Good for you! :D Might as well use them now while you can.

I'm a little confused when you said the agent told you COACH was sold out. :huh: If you're taking the TE, you would get a sleeper anyway. If you were taking a LS train, you'd get BC included in your award. FLL-BNL is the same amount of points as FLL-CHI!

The trip from Bloomington to Ft. Lauderdale we have one coach and two roomettes. Coming back we have three roomettes due to coach from Chicago to Bloomington being sold out. We took the way coming back using our points because it cost more.

The trip from Bloomington to Ft. Lauderdale we have one coach and two roomettes. Coming back we have three roomettes due to coach from Chicago to Bloomington being sold out. We took the way coming back using our points because it cost more.
Ginger, did you ask for coach when you were booking it? Maybe that's why we're confused. When you book with points you get the same level of accommodations on all trains, so by booking a roomette for a 2-zone award all trains having roomette a would have been booked with roomettes, if no rooms (corridor trains), then they'd put you in business class, if available.I don't know why the agent didn't explain it like this rather than say coach was sold out.

I thought the outbound trip was a cash trip, and the return was an award trip.

Back