First Amtrak trip in 2 years - First time on Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
I'm headed from CLE - LAX and back again in one week. Couldn't afford to go home to CA last year. Wanted to use AGR points for the trip home this year and was able to do so once beyond the blackout dates.

I'm finally taking the Texas Eagle for the first time, headed westbound. This will make the last of the Western US LD trains I have taken. I am looking forward to it, but have a couple questions.

First I'm taking the Capitol Limited to/from CLE-CHI. I've read there's been some very significant delays getting into Chicago on the CL because of Norfolk Southern. Is this still ongoing? I didn't want to take the Lakeshore Limited, even though I really love the Viewliner, but I've read they're always late late late getting into CLE. Will I have to worry about making the connection to the TE from the CL? Would love to have enough time to hit Giardano's in downtown Chicago to get a personal pizza to go - always nice to have when I get on my next train (and giving a slice to the Attendant sometimes gets you favors on your trip!)

Secondly, I'm aware of the TE joining up with the Sunset Limited in San Antonio. I haven't been to San Antonio since 1991 and would love it if I'm able to get off the train and head to the Riverwalk to get dinner and make the walk all the way around the Riverwalk once again. I am in a Roomette on the TE. Is it possible for me to actually leave the train while the two are combined? Am I able to head into downtown and get back into my Roomette later in the evening?

Thirdly - any things scenery wise that I may not want to miss from CHI to LAX?

Taking the Southwest Chief on the way back - have been on it twice Westbound. First time Eastbound!

Oh and one other question I forgot - where does the Sleeper in the Texas Eagle end up when combined with the Sunset Limited? I've been on the Portland Sleeper on the Eastbound Empire Builder twice and getting to the Diner seemed to take FOREVER going through all those Coach cars.

Sorry for the double post - my Browser dumped me out of the Forum page!

Last edited by a moderator:
You certainly may disembark during the long station stop in San Antonio and see the local sights (of which there are several even at that hour of night...many of the Riverwalk watering holes keep late hours and the Alamo's entrance plaza is available and lighted 24/7). Your problem may be reboarding...the cars may be secured until just before departure of the Sunset Limited. Different crews enforce the rules in different ways, and there's no way to be certain of how things will go on any specific day...your 422 car attendant may tell you, "No problem," but he is going off duty...his replacement may go by-(his interpretation of)-the-book and refuse to let you reboard until time of general boarding. If push comes to shove you can always burn some time in the 24-hour Denny's just down the street.

ETA: If you do disembark, make SURE you carry proof of your ticket...either a copy of your e-ticket or your paper ticket stub (if you're still using a paper ticket)!

Nice trip!

You shouldn't have to worry about your connection in CHI, even when the LSL and Cap are a couple of hours late you still make your guaranteed connection!

During the melt down Amtrak was busing people with connections in CHI from Toledo but this is a last resort strategy!

Remember to allow 45 minutes for Girodanos to cook your deep dish pizza, there are plenty of good places to eat inside and around Union Station if need be! You also might want to use a Red Cap to get you from the Metro Lounge to your train, let the desk know when you check in upon arrival.

When the Eagle reaches Texas you will have Breakfast in East Texas, Lunch upon leaving Dallas and Dinner begins after leaving Temple with last call leaving Austin.

Your Sleeper on #421 from CHI-SAS will be the Revenue Sleeper on the front of the train but will be switched ( along with a cutout coach)to the end of the Sunset Ltd.#1 when it arrives into SAS. ( usually around 11pm- Midnight) It will be a long walk to the Diner and Lounge like the Empire Builder.

As for visiting the River walk, you will probably arrive into SAS between 930pm and 1030pm. ( there's pading in the schedule between AUS and SAS) You can get off the Train, but may not be allowed to reboard until the train is ready to leave, it depends on the crew on #1 ( you'll have a new SCA and Conductors).

The River walk is pricey, sort of Bourbon Street on the River, but SA is a big tourist magnet so is well lighted, policed and safe. I especually like The Iron Cactus for their Enchiladas and Ritas! On week nights it can be sort of quiet after 10pm, some places even close down early. During holidays,special events, conventions and on the weekend it can be crowded!

There is a 24/7 Denny's a few blocks from the Station on the way to the Riverwalk, but the food is nothing to write home about.

Hope this helps you? Any questions, please ask, lots of this have ridden this route many times and some AUers live in SA so plenty of help available!

Cap Ltd times have improved considerably in the past few months and most of the trains have been running close to ontime. Of course, anything can happen to cause delays (accidents, weather, etc) so plan accordingly. TE is the earliest western train leaving around 1:30 but you should have plenty of time to make it over for pizza if #29 is even a little late.

Everything ehbowen said about the connection in San Antonio should be heeded. We nearly were locked out of our car after disembarking for a brief walk.

Since you will likely be hitting Giordano's at Lunch Time, they have Personal Pizzas already made and since they are busy, they don't live under the heat lamps for more than a few minutes. And unlike the Club Acela, you can bring outside food into the Metroploitan Lounge, provided you can resist eating it before getting it there!

Since you will likely be hitting Giordano's at Lunch Time, they have Personal Pizzas already made and since they are busy, they don't live under the heat lamps for more than a few minutes. And unlike the Club Acela, you can bring outside food into the Metroploitan Lounge, provided you can resist eating it before getting it there!
That will be the temptation. But I will hang onto that pizza - I once gave a slice of Giardano's to my Attendant on a not-so-booked train and was moved from my Roomette to a Bedroom (shhhh - no charge!) You never know when you might get another SCA willing to be so nice for Giardano's!

Oh - and is it an easy/safe walk from the station in San Antonio over to the Riverwalk? Or will I want a cab? I do recall walking from the Holiday Inn on the Riverwalk over to the Tower without any issues at all, but again, that was back in '91.

Oh - and is it an easy/safe walk from the station in San Antonio over to the Riverwalk? Or will I want a cab? I do recall walking from the Holiday Inn on the Riverwalk over to the Tower without any issues at all, but again, that was back in '91.
Not a problem to walk from the Station! Go past the Steam Engine on display by the Sunset Station, turn left on East Commerce in front of the Sunset Station, you'll be in St Paul Square, its a well lit road that goes under I37 straight to the River Walk Area about 6 blocks in all.

You'll pass the Big Convention Center and the Grand Hyatt on your left, Denny's just before the Riverwalk on your right. Its an easy 10 minute walk, you may have a few street people ask for spare change on the way.

Alamo Plaza is just past the River Center Mall, all the entrances to the Riverwalk require you to go down from the street but I like to use the entrance to the Hyatt Regency across from Alamo Plaza, nice stream and waterfalls on both sides of the walk as you enter the lobby which is right on the Riverwalk.

Same thing on the way back to the Station, might be a few more homeless types asking for change especially around Dennys, they also come into the Station but its perfectly safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back