First big Amtrak Trip - Tips or critique?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Harrison

Train Attendant
Hi all! Love trains, always have, but not had much chance to travel Amtrak since I live in NE ohio. I took a short trip last Feb to Niagra Falls and back from Cleveland, and decided I want more! Signed up for AGR and used my Continental card to rack up AGR miles.

Anyways, I hit 20k miles and here is the trip I just booked:

I booked #29 Capitol Limited Departing Cleveland at 2:59am arriving in Toledo at 5:08am.

That cost me 18$ in coach.

Then I booked using my AGR points Toledo to Seattle Via LAX in a Roomette.

So here is what I understand, and a few questions along the way -

When I depart Cleveland, I will be in Coach. Should I inform the ticket taker that I will be moving to a Roomette in Toledo?

Once I am in chicago, it looks like 6 hours before the Southwest Chief. Would I have time to visit Sears tower, and Hot Doug's? Anyone familiar or any other suggestions on what to do in Chicago w/ 6 hours?

Then onto the SWC to LA. Here is a couple questions - Do you tip on long distance trains daily, or up front? I was thinking about 10 dollars per night on the train seemed fair based on what I see here, so would you tip that in advance, or just that days then the next? Also, any longer stops that would be worth getting off and looking around? Any must sees or do's?

Into LA Friday at 8:15. 4 hours till 12:15 departure, anything quick or interesting to do there? Does anyone know if lunch will be provided on the CS on boarding, or will it be too late and I should eat at the station?

Finally, I will be arriving into Seattle at 10:45pm. Is this usually pretty close? I am booking a rental car at the airport, and taking seattle transit train to the airport to pick it up. Then I will head over to a hotel for the rest of the night.

I fly out of seattle back to akron the next day at 2:37pm. Anything interesting or must do for a few hours in Seattle on a Sunday morning? I will have a rental car. I don't sleep in much, so I will probably be up by 7am and will have a few hours to kill if I want, rather not spend them sitting in a hotel room bored.

Any other suggestions?

I am excited! Also going to get a scanner, been watching craigslist.

Anything else I am not thinking of? This is a "Relaxationcation" for me, I run and run in daily life, and being forced to do little for 4 days is just what I need.

You picked a great trip!
cool.gif

I booked #29 Capitol Limited Departing Cleveland at 2:59am arriving in Toledo at 5:08am.
That cost me 18$ in coach.
That's just what I would do too!

Then I booked using my AGR points Toledo to Seattle Via LAX in a Roomette.
So here is what I understand, and a few questions along the way -

When I depart Cleveland, I will be in Coach. Should I inform the ticket taker that I will be moving to a Roomette in Toledo?
I would just go up to the sleeper first, and ask if you can occupy the room early. If it's available, they may just say "no problem"! (I've done it many times!)

Once I am in chicago, it looks like 6 hours before the Southwest Chief. Would I have time to visit Sears tower, and Hot Doug's? Anyone familiar or any other suggestions on what to do in Chicago w/ 6 hours?
Because you are arriving and/or departing from CHI via a sleeper, you are entitled to use the Metropolitan Lounge. There is a secure place to store your bags during the layover. The Sears (now called Willis) Tower is 1 block from Union Station. If you enjoy pizza, Giordano's (the unofficial pizza of AU) is 2 1/2 blocks away!

Then onto the SWC to LA. Here is a couple questions - Do you tip on long distance trains daily, or up front? I was thinking about 10 dollars per night on the train seemed fair based on what I see here, so would you tip that in advance, or just that days then the next? Also, any longer stops that would be worth getting off and looking around? Any must sees or do's?
I personally tip $5 per person per night. I tip at the end of the trip - that way you know if the SCA is a no-show or very helpful. I may lower or raise the amount of tip based on that. If you tip beforehand, you can't say, "I didn't see you much, so could I have $4 back?"
rolleyes.gif

Into LA Friday at 8:15. 4 hours till 12:15 departure, anything quick or interesting to do there? Does anyone know if lunch will be provided on the CS on boarding, or will it be too late and I should eat at the station?
I'm not sure about lunch being served upon departure with the 12:15 departure. Note also that on the SWC, they serve an early and abbreviated breakfast on board - like between 5 and 6 am only!
ohmy.gif
Near LAX (an easy 2 block walk) is "Phillipe's, The Original". They serve breakfast and their famous sandwiches. (Note that they are cash only.)

Finally, I will be arriving into Seattle at 10:45pm. Is this usually pretty close? I am booking a rental car at the airport, and taking seattle transit train to the airport to pick it up. Then I will head over to a hotel for the rest of the night.

I fly out of seattle back to akron the next day at 2:37pm. Anything interesting or must do for a few hours in Seattle on a Sunday morning? I will have a rental car. I don't sleep in much, so I will probably be up by 7am and will have a few hours to kill if I want, rather not spend them sitting in a hotel room bored.
If it were me, I would skip the late night trip to the airport and the rental car, and instead stay at a hotel in downtown Seattle. In the morning, explore Seattle on foot and transit, and then take light rail from downtown to the airport when it's time to leave.

Addendum: For those who DO want to stay by SeaTac Airport, I recently read in the Seattle Times that a hotel right near the airport, Cedarbrook Lodge has been rated in the Top 25 worldwide by the users of TripAdvisor.com.

From the Seattle Times: "The 104-room Cedarbrook Lodge, a former Washington Mutual training facility converted to a hotel and corporate retreat center about a year ago, ranked No. 17 on TripAdvisor's '2011 Travelers' Choice Awards' worldwide list. It topped the website's list of top hotels in the United States, and ranked No. 2 among U.S. 'best bargains.'"

I've never been there myself, but it looks like a very nice place for not a lot of money, and they offer free shuttle service to and from the airport and the light rail station, as well as "the nearby Amtrak station." The nearest Amtrak station is Tukwila, so I assume that's the one they mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any other suggestions?

I am excited! Also going to get a scanner, been watching craigslist.

Anything else I am not thinking of? This is a "Relaxationcation" for me, I run and run in daily life, and being forced to do little for 4 days is just what I need.
I would reconsider the trip out to SEATAC and rental car that night.

If I recall correctly the Link Light rail does not share King st. station. You have to cross over to Chinatown station on 5th and Jackson. But the last Link Light out to SEATAC is after midnight so you should be able to catch it.

For me I would just stay downtown (I like the Best Western Pioneer Square). Walk around (or free zone bus) downtown the next day. Then take the train to SEATAC closer to your flight time.

There is nothing out at SEATAC to occupy your time and you will probably end up driving back downtown. Parking there can be B**ch. Not to mention the traffic from SEATAC to Seattle if your there during the work week.

I would not count on being able to make it up to Hot Doug's - is isn't in downtown Chicago and there really isn't much public transport near there that is convenient. You could take a cab, but depending on traffic, that may cost you $20+ each way. Keep in mind that they are typically only open for lunch, so check if you do decide to go.

However, there are a few threads on here about what to do in Chicago, which also may be helpful. If it is warm enough, you can walk almost straight east, maybe 20 minutes or so (or take a quick cab) to the Art Institute and Millenium Park. Sears/Willis Tower also close. Many good restaurants and sites to see all downtown. Save Hot Doug's for a visit where you have a car and/or more time!

Last edited:
As mentioned, Sears/Willis tour and Giordano's Pizza are both within easy walking distance of Chicago Union Station (just make sure you exit the correct side of the station to begin your trek, or it will become decidedly longer (don't ask how I know)! Another option is Navy Pier, which is a short cab ride from CUS.

There are few places to eat in downtowen near Union Station. However, uou can also walk three blocks West to Halsted Street then go to the 200 block. Thats a section of Chicago called "Greektown" I keep mentioning it on this forum because you can get some great food, coffee, snacks, pastries and such there. Many restaurants and there is also two bakeries and a large supermarket on S. Halsted. Our favorite is the Greek Island Restaurant followed by the Parthenon. If you don't like Greek cuisine, there are sandwich and pizza shops there as well. Its worth the walk.

i agree, stay downtown when you get to seattle! going out to the airport is just a huge waste of time. when you arrive in seattle you could be settling into a comfy hotel within minutes, instead of trekking out to the airport. there is plenty to do downtown in the pioneer square area that could occupy your morning. there are some nice shops and the klondike gold rush museum (run by the national parks service) is a personal favorite. public transportation in seattle is excellent and quick. if you stay in the pioneer square area you could head up to pike place in just a few short minutes, or about a 10 minute walk. the fish market is fun to wander through, there are vendors selling handcrafted items in addition to all the fish! seattle also has a nice aquarium along the waterfront, near some of the kitschy but fun touristy shops.

i've done the willis tower visit during a layover between the lakeshore limited and the chief. it's a nice quick walk and it's not hard to find. :D the day i went the weather wasn't great, so the view was somewhat limited, but it was still a fun experience. the bonus was that the weather kept everyone away so i didn't have to wait in line! everyone raves about eating at lou mitchell's, which is nearby as well. i haven't been there but i'm hoping to give it a try on my next trip.

my experience on the CS was that lunch was served, at least in the Pacific Parlor Car, shortly after departing. it was delicious!

glad to hear you're getting a scanner. i take a gps and enjoy having that along. the best advice i could give is to have fun and relax. my first long-distance train trip was on the chief and i loved everything about it, including things I didn't expect to! so just have fun and make the most of it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks for all the good information, Sounds like I will be rethinking my Seattle stay, and staying downtown instead of rushing the the airport and getting a rental. Will save a few bucks for a good breakfast anyways! Great tips all! Thanks also for the Hot Dougs advice, looks like I will settle for some real chicago deep dish instead!

Hi! Just to be redundant, I agree that you should do Seattle on foot. I'm from Seattle, and I was initially feeling sorry for you that you would have a car... way easier/more fun to just walk around downtown. You can easily get to all the fun sightseeing spots on buses (free in downtown) or on foot, or the monorail if you feel like going to the Space Needle. You could also take a quick bus or a 15-minute uphill walk to Capitol Hill (just walk/bus straight up Pike or Pine) -- the Pike/Pine corridor of the Capitol Hill neighborhood is a great place to see some Seattle culture. And if you feel like a longer trip, get on an Express bus (71, 72, 73 -- I think) to the University District. The UW is a wonderful place to walk around and the "Ave" (University Way) is a great spot to people-watch. Just as the train is a more human, enjoyable pace for long-distance travel, I feel that walking is a more human, enjoyable pace for short-distance sightseeing. :) Have fun! And I hope it's sunny for you so that you can see Mt Rainier and all.

Just as the train is a more human, enjoyable pace for long-distance travel, I feel that walking is a more human, enjoyable pace for short-distance sightseeing. :) Have fun! And I hope it's sunny for you so that you can see Mt Rainier and all.
Well said redflowers.

I couldn't agree more with your advice here.

The OP didn't state when he was arriving. If by chance it is late April or later and the Mariners are in town. I would suggest the Prime Rib sandwich at FX Mcrorys. They are only open on the Sundays that sporting events are occuring. A short block from King st. station, and a whole lot of fun. Seattle sports fans are also great "people watching".

Off Topic for the Gathering Crowd. I would also recommend FX Mcrorys for your Dinner consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back