First LD ride in Coach (LAX-SEA-LAX)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
First of, moderators, feel free to merge this with another thread of the same topic.

Next week I will be boarding the Starlight in LA and taking it up to Seattle and then back the next day, this will be my first time in coach for a LD trip. What should I bring and do to make it more comfortable? The weather will be fairly cold outside.

-I intend to upgrade to business with upgrade coupons both ways.
-Will probably get a meal or two in the diner, but not sure. Probably will go with the flow.
-Open bid for a roomette on the way back -- not expecting to get it

Definitely bring a thick blanket and a comfy neck pillow.

I don’t think upgrade coupon works in LD trains.
Dining car is not open for coach pax. So either stick to the lounge cafe or have some alternative arrangements. For example have restaurant deliver to smoke stops at San Luis Obispo, San Jose, etc.

I don’t think upgrade coupon works in LD trains.
Already checked on here, upgrade coupons do work. I believe Amtrak recently allowed it from coach to sleeper, but even before that it worked for coach to business on the starlight.
Dining car is not open for coach pax. So either stick to the lounge cafe or have some alternative arrangements. For example have restaurant deliver to smoke stops at San Luis Obispo, San Jose, etc.
As long as I get the upgrade to business I'll get access to the diner. If that doesn't work out, will definitely be brining food onboard and possibly delivery.

Forgot to ask this, but I usually am not an early-riser but I'd like to on the train. How should I set my alarm so I don't disturb other passengers?

Forgot to ask this, but I usually am not an early-riser but I'd like to on the train. How should I set my alarm so I don't disturb other passengers?
I would recommend a vibration setting.

Other passengers may have cell phones ringing also -
At what level of volume unknown -
Previous response by CCC1007 an excellent idea V-I-B-R-A-T-I-O-N mode - BUT - that is a proximity felt mode - snuggle up to it ! LOL !
Ear pods buds have blue tooth signal diverted to that audio mode ?

Alternate idea - one of those station (smoke?) stops do a wakey wakey there and stay awake after that - - -
There is enough clatter noise and what-not going on - ringing cell phone could not be much of an interruption.

Oh and change the answering ring to something low key instead of "Who Let The Dogs Out!" LOL !

Back