First overnight trip - CS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfanmom

Train Attendant
Wow, it has been a long time since I have posted here. But I received so much valuable information before that I hope you don't mind me coming back and asking again :)

We are planning our first overnight trip on the CS. We have done LAX to San Jose a few times now but have never done an overnight trip. It will be me, my Mom and my two kids. We are taking an Alaska cruise next August then spending a couple of nights in Seattle before returning to LA. We decided to extend the trip by taking the train home.

Some things I could use help with are room suggestions. We have outgrown the family bedroom unfortunately (my daughter is now the size of an adult so that would leave one person with too small of a bed. We have done two roomettes across from each other and that worked well also, but I was thinking maybe we will splurge for the bedroom suite this time. But what we liked about the roomettes was that we were guaranteed that one of them would be on the ocean side. With the bedrooms, we are running the chance that we will be facing inland. I know that the cars can face either way so it is a chance, no matter what. But do they try to face the cars so that the bedrooms face the ocean. If I recall correctly on previous trips, 2 out of 3 faced the ocean. So is there a certain car that is more likely to be faced that way?

Also, are luggage restrictions in place as far as weight? We will have 4 large bags and I was planning on checking at least two of them. I just need to know if I have to be extra careful about the weight of the checked bags. I have a large suitcase that I can pack 1/2 full for the flight up and then use the extra space for what we buy on the cruise. But that will make the bag very heavy coming back. Also, how much room is there for luggage inside the bedrooms?

Third, is there a lounge-type area in Seattle like there is at LAX for the sleeper passengers? I saw that there has been a lot of construction there also so I thought maybe they added something like that.

I'm so excited to be planning another train adventure. But I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row when the booking window opens.

Thanks!!

First, welcome back! :)

There is no way of knowing ahead of time which car (if any) will have ocean facing rooms. A bedroom suite is just 2 bedrooms (E/D or C/B) with an open door (2 feet or so wide) that can be opened between them. Personally, I would chose 2 roomettes across the hall - for the savings. Yes, the bedrooms have more storage space, but remember you can store most of your bags n the luggage rack downstairs and not have to struggle with them on the stairway.

No, there is no lounge in Seattle.

Nice trip!!! :) Since there will be 4 of you I agree with getting 2 Roomettes across from each other, as was said it will save money and you can store your Big Bags in the Downstairs Luggage Rack! The weight Limit for Checked bags is 50 lbs.each and since there are 4 of you you could Check Your 4 Big Bags Free long as they were under the 50 lb. Limit and just carry on what you'd need on your trip!

As to Sightseeing, you will have the Pacific Parlor Car (or Substitute Lounge car)) and the Sightseer Lounge where you will want to spend the Daylight Hours! (It gets dark before the California Border going South and the Sun will come up around Sacramento and be up till you get either into LA or close depending on the Time Keeping of the Train!)

Edited: Correct Checked baggage Comment

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently did a 2 night trip (OKC-FTW-CHI, then CHI-NOL) and even though there were only 3 of us, (wife, me, 12 YO son) we went ahead and did the 2 room suite thing. It was amazing! The bedrooms are already such a step above the roomettes in the comfort dept, but when you have that adjoining door open...it REALLY creates a lot of room! It was almost luxurious, having that much room, not to mention one bathroom for the toilette, and the other to use as the shower, without having to dry it off in between. You already have the lounge, and (hopefully) the PPC car, so even if you're on the wrong side, you can always hang out and watch the world there. I can use roomettes for my solo business trips, but for vacation, a pair of bedrooms for 3 or 4 is fantastic. If price/points matter, and it's go/no go, then the roomettes will work. But, if you can swing it, having two bedrooms with the ability to open em up into the suite, for me, it's well worth it. We'll be doing it again next year, for sure. (thanks AGR!)

The weight Limit for Checked bags is 50 lbs.each and since there are 4 of you you could check 4 Bags free long as they were under the 50 lb.
Slight correction to Jim's reply. There are 4 of you, so you can check 8 bags free! Plus you can carry on 8 carry on bags! (Note - certain items are not included in this carry on limit and are in addition to the limit. They include things like purses, computers, coats, pillows, blankets, etc...!)

Thanks so much everyone! We know the two bedrooms will be a splurge but I can't think of a better way to end our adventure :) We just need to decide if not facing the ocean will be a dealbreaker. I'm thinking it won't, because as it was mentioned, we can always go to the PPC. I am leaning towards the bedroom suite as I think it will be more comfortable for my Mom also. I forgot about the two bathrooms. That is a bonus to be able to keep one as a shower without worrying about wiping it down each time. We didn't have to worry about showers before on our day trips.

It sounds like my luggage idea may still need some work then if I am going to stay under the 50 pound limit. I was hoping to use my big 29" suitcase with empty space for things we buy during the trip and then check it for the train ride home, but that sized suitcase will end up way over 50 pounds by the end ;) And if we are upstairs, I don't want to leave it downstairs unattended if it has all our new stuff in it or try to get it up that stairway, LOL. OK, I'll have to think about that. Will they just charge me an overweight fee or will it be refused if it is over 50? The website only shows $20 for oversized (76 - 100 Linear Inches) but doesn't say anything about weight. If they will still take it, I may have to just add in an overweight fee to our budget. I want to keep the number of large bags at 4 so that we can manage them as we move from place to place.

Oh, another question just came to mind. We have been very lucky to have the PPC on all three of our CS trips so far (our day trips). But if luck runs out and the PPC is out of service, do they always add an additional lounge car for the sleeping passengers?

Thanks again!!

They usually do, sometimes a Sightseer, which is good replacement, sometimes a Diner-Lounge (CCC), which is not nearly as good as either a Sightseer or a PPC. It just doesn't work as lounge space, and folks don't tend to hang out in it in my experience.

Sometimes they don't. If the PPC gets bad ordered on the Seattle end, they usually won't have anything there they can replace it with.

You're doing better than I am. The last few Starlight trips, I've only had them half the time, although they've always had a replacement (just my luck to always draw a Diner-Lounge, grr).

As to baggage, since it sounds like your group is going to have a lot checked baggage allowance, so maybe buy a cheap duffel type bag, pack it away for the outward trip, then put the overflow in it on the way back and check it, and keep all your bags under 50 lbs. They will weigh checked baggage in all cases.

If you are going to carry on, the actual practice is if you can have all you can carry yourself without multiple trips. They won't weigh it, but you'll have to lug it yourself.

They usually do, sometimes a Sightseer, which is good replacement, sometimes a Diner-Lounge (CCC), which is not nearly as good as either a Sightseer or a PPC. It just doesn't work as lounge space, and folks don't tend to hang out in it in my experience.
Sometimes they don't. If the PPC gets bad ordered on the Seattle end, they usually won't have anything there they can replace it with.

You're doing better than I am. The last few Starlight trips, I've only had them half the time, although they've always had a replacement (just my luck to always draw a Diner-Lounge, grr).

As to baggage, since it sounds like your group is going to have a lot checked baggage allowance, so maybe buy a cheap duffel type bag, pack it away for the outward trip, then put the overflow in it on the way back and check it, and keep all your bags under 50 lbs.
Oh..good to know that it might not have one if a problem occurs in Seatle. I think that will definitely factor in to our decision on the bedrooms, just in case. We have walked through the other lounge car on previous trips and it gets really crowded so I doubt we would use that one. It is looking more like the bedrooms for us :)

They are strict about the weight of checked bags. I have heard of many passengers who had 2 bags, one weighing (say) 63 pounds and the other (say) 28 pounds. They had to remove some items from the 63 pound bag and put it in the other bag to get it below the 50 pound limit!

Oh..good to know that it might not have one if a problem occurs in Seatle. I think that will definitely factor in to our decision on the bedrooms, just in case. We have walked through the other lounge car on previous trips and it gets really crowded so I doubt we would use that one. It is looking more like the bedrooms for us :)
Just to put it in perspective, I'd say your chances of having some kind of first class lounge car (PPC, Sightseer, or Diner-Lounge) are quite good, probably above 90%. The chances of it actually being a PPC are lower but still good, say on the order of 70%.

Just to add - they have scales at every station I've seen with checked luggage, so I'd assume they actually use them. I've seen people checking in, and the bags were placed individually on the scale.

If anything, you might be able to get away with more than the 50 lb limit for carry ons since nobody is going to be weighing it.

They are strict about the weight of checked bags. I have heard of many passengers who had 2 bags, one weighing (say) 63 pounds and the other (say) 28 pounds. They had to remove some items from the 63 pound bag and put it in the other bag to get it below the 50 pound limit!
OT - but I remember waiting behind a family that had a bunch of bags checked in for a flight. Most were under the 50 lbs limit for this airline, but they had two that were over the limit and they paid an extra $50 each bag for being overweight. Each overweight bag was barely over. The airline agent asked if they'd like to maybe transfer the contents of one bag to another (the limit before an even higher fee was 70 lbs) so that they'd only have to pay for one overweight bag, and they declined and forked over $100 rather than $50. They were either not terribly smart, or they didn't want anyone finding out what was in their bags.

As for Amtrak, they seem to be pretty strict about the 50 lb limit. I can't find anything that suggests there's an overweight fee. There are oversized fees and special handling fees for certain items, but I haven't found any overweight fee.

If you book the Bedroom Suite (glad you can afford it!) you will have Plenty of Room for Bags! The Posts mentioning the 50 lb. Limit per Checked Bag is Official Amtrak Policy with No Slack, but as was said, just carry on your Most Valuable stuff in One Bag and the Stuff you'll use on the Train and check the Bags with the stuff you won't need on the Ride!

Hopefully you will get a PPC , at the least a Sightseer Lounge Car as a Substitute (there will be Two in the Consist if so,, one for Everyone and One just for Sleeping Car Passengers!)As was said your Odds are very Good to have a PPC!!!! Bon Voyage! ;)

I would instead of leaving space in a large suitcase for the new stuff, purchase a cheap duffle bag that can be folded into one of the suitcases until you need it and then you can carry that onto the train with you and stay under the 50 lb. weight limit.

Each of you are allowed two carry-on items, so adding the duffle with the new stuff as one of the carry-ons is what I would do. I know others have suggested this, and I would agree.

Thank you all again..so much. I really appreciate all the input and suggestions. I'm glad to hear chances are good we will have some form of lounge car. But I sure would love to ride in the PPC again. :D This is a "bucket list" trip for me and my Mom. I almost lost her two months ago and at that point we decided we were going to do this trip now (well, next year, LOL). We have been talking about both cruising Alaska and doing an overnight on the train for years but kept putting it off and putting it off. So that is why we don't mind paying a little more for this one (within reason, of course) and we will accomplish both in one trip. I do plan to be on the phone with Amtrak right when the booking window opens, in hopes of getting the lowest rate we can.

My reason for trying to do less carry-ons though has to do with our traveling party. It will be my 74-year old mom, me, my daughter (15) and my son (10). We will be doing many transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to shuttle bus, bus to hotel, taxi to train station, etc). So I need to keep the bag count low so that the kids and I can handle it without too much for my Mom to deal with. Plus the kids will each have a backpack of their stuff and I will have my camera bag, etc. No doubt we will be loaded down ;)

I do like the idea of adding a duffle bag to one of the other bags and using that for anything we buy during the cruise (so we can store that in the room with us). Then we can probably check three of the bags and use only one in our room. So much to think about and only a year to plan :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back