First Overnight Trip on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb

Train Attendant
I am planning my first overnight trip on Amtrak in January. I thought I would travel from St Louis to chicago and then down to New Orleans. Is the City of New Orleans a good train for my first travel experience? I am planning on getting a Roomette for the trip. I toured a sleeper car and the Cross Country Cafe car at the open house at the new St. Louis transportation center today. The roomettes look nice, but the Cross Country Cafe car seems small. Is the City of New Orleans a good choice or other train routes better for my first Amtrak overnight experience?

One of my first overnight trips - and my first ever sleeper car experience - was on the CNO and I loved it. One highlight was waking up in the early morning at a stop, looking out the window, and seeing the Memphis station sign.

I had a guitar with me and in the cafe car I announced "OK - anyone who wants to can slap me - but I have to sing this song right now!" See if you can guess what I played :)

You will specially like it if you get the roomette - book it early!

David

One of my first overnight trips - and my first ever sleeper car experience - was on the CNO and I loved it. One highlight was waking up in the early morning at a stop, looking out the window, and seeing the Memphis station sign.
I had a guitar with me and in the cafe car I announced "OK - anyone who wants to can slap me - but I have to sing this song right now!" See if you can guess what I played :)

You will specially like it if you get the roomette - book it early!

David
That's an easy one...."changing cars in Memphis Tennessee......." Arlo Guthrie's City of New Orleans......

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

The City is not Amtrak's most scenic train, although the run through the bayou's outside NOL is pretty, nor is it Amtrak's brightest star in terms of ammenities available onboard. But it's still a fine choice, probably one of the cheaper trips available, and it should give you a decent taste of what long distance train travel is like. And New Orleans can sure use the tourist dollars to help in its rebuilding efforts.

Since you'll be traveling in a sleeper, make sure that you take advantage of Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago when you change trains. The lounge is a special room open only to sleeping car passengers. You show your ticket to get into the lounge. Once inside you'll find light refreshments, a room manned by a redcap where you can store your luggage for free should you wish to walk around Chicago while waiting for departure time, nice overstuffed chairs instead of benches, and clean restrooms.

They'll also quite possibly make your dinner reservation for you for the train that night, and they pre-board you before the crowd in the general waiting room.

Steve,
The City is not Amtrak's most scenic train, although the run through the bayou's outside NOL is pretty, nor is it Amtrak's brightest star in terms of ammenities available onboard. But it's still a fine choice, probably one of the cheaper trips available, and it should give you a decent taste of what long distance train travel is like. And New Orleans can sure use the tourist dollars to help in its rebuilding efforts.

Since you'll be traveling in a sleeper, make sure that you take advantage of Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago when you change trains. The lounge is a special room open only to sleeping car passengers. You show your ticket to get into the lounge. Once inside you'll find light refreshments, a room manned by a redcap where you can store your luggage for free should you wish to walk around Chicago while waiting for departure time, nice overstuffed chairs instead of benches, and clean restrooms.

They'll also quite possibly make your dinner reservation for you for the train that night, and they pre-board you before the crowd in the general waiting room.
When you mentioned clean restrooms in the Metro Lounge, it reminded me of their toilet seats that have auto-replacing sanitized seat covers. In a remote way it reminds me of an ever-looping choo-choo! I never seen that before. BTW, I did say remotely reminded me! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back