First Time Chicago Union Station Rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

Next weekend, I'm planning to take an Amtrak train out of Chicago Union station on the Illinois Zephyr 383. While I've ridden Amtrak before, I've never boarded at Union Station before. I hear that it is a lot more complicated/difficult compared with getting on at Naperville.

Does anyone have any advice that might help me not miss my train? How do I figure out which track it boards on? (I'm hoping that I find a sign listing train numbers to tracks). I've read that Union station has odd/even tracks in a different area (North Platform vs South). I was also told that they don't permit boarding the actual train until a few minutes before departure (Metra seems to let people board as soon as the train arrives at the station). Is any of this true/false? I don't really want to get stranded in Chicago (and I'm taking the last train of the day).

Thanks.

Look at the boards to see which gate you'll be boarding from. It's a lot like an airport.

Go to the waiting area and sit near the gate. Some people start to line up as soon as they get there (just like an airport).

The gate agent will announce when it's time to board. I find they usually make an announcement about 20-30 minutes before departure, depending on the train/crowds/day/etc. They'll check your ticket and then tell you to walk to Track #whatever. Just follow the herd.

I'm not sure about the Illinois Zephyr, but when I board the Wolverine and Blue Water, the conductors stand outside the cars. When you get to the first conductor, give them your destination. They'll tell you to walk to the next car, the third car down, etc. The Illinois Zephyr might be open seating, though. If that's the case, just get on and enjoy the ride. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry yourself too much! You will be boarding from the Amtrak (zoo) waiting area and your train will be called and then you will pass through the gate that they call, they check tix, the cops will look you over and you will be directed towards your train. Easy stuff. Also, SarahZ is entirely correct and well said. If you can get in line early your seating arrangements can be vastly improved. Boarding the 383 won't be any trouble as all the LD trains are gone, or should be! And the IZ is open seating I am pretty sure.

SarahZ told you right. I was in Illinois this past week and rode the Zephyr/Carl Sanburg trains that run between Chicago and Quincy. They are open seating. Usually the trains will have three coaches plus a business class/cafe car. These trains are on the "even" numbered or north side of the terminal. I also rode the Illini/Saluki train and it usually arrives and departs track 22 but their are monitors all around(some new nice looking LED screens now) with the track and departure information. Relax and enjoy the ride. I am 73 and have no problem navigating Union Station.

SarahZ told you right. I was in Illinois this past week and rode the Zephyr/Carl Sanburg trains that run between Chicago and Quincy. They are open seating. Usually the trains will have three coaches plus a business class/cafe car. These trains are on the "even" numbered or north side of the terminal.
Even numbers are on the SOUTH side of the terminal. Odd numbers are on the north.

The only Amtrak trains that ever leave on the north side / odd number tracks are the Empire Builder and Hiawatha Service.

Also, they have install new signs in the station... everyday there will be a list of train #s that you will board from the Great Hall. You don't go to waiting area for those trains. Of course, BC and Sleeper passengers go straight to the Metropolitan Lounge for boarding.

SarahZ told you right. I was in Illinois this past week and rode the Zephyr/Carl Sanburg trains that run between Chicago and Quincy. They are open seating. Usually the trains will have three coaches plus a business class/cafe car. These trains are on the "even" numbered or north side of the terminal.
Even numbers are on the SOUTH side of the terminal. Odd numbers are on the north.
My mistake, not living in Chicago, I got my northside and southside mixed up. Since I was traveling BC, I did not board from the Great Hall as you noted that BC boards from the Metropolitan Lounge. I do have a question. Is the Great Hall the original old big Union Station waiting room with the wooden benches? That would be confusing to me since the Amtrak waiting rooms are adjacent to the "gates" but the old main hall waiting area is a long corridor away from the gates.

I'm not sure about the Illinois Zephyr, but when I board the Wolverine and Blue Water, the conductors stand outside the cars. When you get to the first conductor, give them your destination. They'll tell you to walk to the next car, the third car down, etc. The Illinois Zephyr might be open seating, though. If that's the case, just get on and enjoy the ride. :)
The IZ works pretty much the way you describe the Wolverines and Blue Water, presumably because they only open one door at most of the intermediate stations.

However, most likely you would not be hassled if you moved with your seat check to another car. I often move to get as far away from the engine as possible. In farm country, you cross a road every mile; and at 79 mph, that's 4 or more blasts every 45 seconds.

Just be alert when your station is called and listen or watch for which door is being opened, presumably your original car.

Incidently, the IZ is one of the most reliable trains in the system.

The IZ works pretty much the way you describe the Wolverines and Blue Water, presumably because they only open one door at most of the intermediate stations.

However, most likely you would not be hassled if you moved with your seat check to another car. I often move to get as far away from the engine as possible. In farm country, you cross a road every mile; and at 79 mph, that's 4 or more blasts every 45 seconds.

Just be alert when your station is called and listen or watch for which door is being opened, presumably your original car.

Incidently, the IZ is one of the most reliable trains in the system.
This is true of the Wolverines and Blue Water as well. The cars fill up pretty quickly, so it's not uncommon for people to end up scattered. About 5-10 minutes before each stop, the conductors come through each car and let people know to head up to the next car, two cars down, etc. so they can detrain at the correct door.

Is the Great Hall the original old big Union Station waiting room with the wooden benches? That would be confusing to me since the Amtrak waiting rooms are adjacent to the "gates" but the old main hall waiting area is a long corridor away from the gates.
Yes, the Great Hall is the big open waiting room with the wooden benches that was part of the original station.
Exactly. It was done to prevent suffocation during the afternoon rush hour on the south concourse of CUS. Before that, all those people who are riding Metra BNSF (commuter train with the HIGHEST ridership by far) will jam up the platform and the concourse, couple with a supermajority of the Amtrak trains leaving on the south concourse, and you have a fire hazard :help:

See the crowd control map here:

Normal train operation, Great Hall is open:

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Transportation/CUS%20Map%201.pdf

Normal train operation, Great Hall is closed for an event:

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Transportation/CUS%20Map%202.pdf

Major delay on BNSF line:

http://metrarail.com/content/dam/metra/documents/Transportation/CUS%20Map%203.pdf

Is the Great Hall the original old big Union Station waiting room with the wooden benches? That would be confusing to me since the Amtrak waiting rooms are adjacent to the "gates" but the old main hall waiting area is a long corridor away from the gates.
Exactly. It was done to prevent suffocation during the afternoon rush hour on the south concourse of CUS. Before that, all those people who are riding Metra BNSF (commuter train with the HIGHEST ridership by far) will jam up the platform and the concourse, couple with a supermajority of the Amtrak trains leaving on the south concourse, and you have a fire hazard :help:
I'm totally confused as well.

I get the part about the BNSF commuters. However, if Amtrak passengers are waiting in the great hall, then they have to pass thru the BNSF hoard to get to their trains, unless they take the long way around to the waiting room adjacent to the gates. Departing thru the usual gates avoids the commuters since the gate is to the east of the normal BNSF tracks.

Is the great hall now controlled by Amtrak personnel and do those waiting in it get the kindergarten walk; or do they just head out to the platform when they feel like it, using the BNSF crowd as camoflage?

I went through Chicago last month and everything was very well organised - arrival and departure boards are everywhere. But be prepared for the most uncomfortable chairs EVER!!!

Back in the day, Union Station was not simply the Great Hall and an underground section with platforms, separately. There was a second grand building on the east side of the street, complete with drive up roadway along the river. This is where the classic ticket counters were, too. The current situation is due to the east building being demolished, air rights sold for development, and inadequate accommodations added at the lower levels to get what we have today.

Essentially the old waiting rooms are not even effectively employed, except in an almost emergency sort of situation, with everything squeezed into too small of a space on the east end.

More often than not, the Great Hall simply sits there as an historical edifice, underutilized, or it gets (often) rented out for special events and additional income.

I'm totally confused as well.

I get the part about the BNSF commuters. However, if Amtrak passengers are waiting in the great hall, then they have to pass thru the BNSF hoard to get to their trains, unless they take the long way around to the waiting room adjacent to the gates. Departing thru the usual gates avoids the commuters since the gate is to the east of the normal BNSF tracks.

Is the great hall now controlled by Amtrak personnel and do those waiting in it get the kindergarten walk; or do they just head out to the platform when they feel like it, using the BNSF crowd as camoflage?
Amtrak passengers do not enter directly from the South corridor to trains, as with Metra. Nor do they typically, or officially, wait in the Great Hall. (Though there is no reason you can't hang out there for awhile, if you like, assuming it is open.) Instead, they either report to the sleeping car/business waiting lounge or the general waiting area, each just off the Amtrak ticketing area. From there, Amtrak personnel announce departures and route ticketed passengers through the gates for boarding.

If Amtrak coach passengers do not board from the Great Hall, why do the information boards say "boarding from Great Hall" as they did when I was boarding the Illini 4:05 PM train last Thursday, April 29? Since I was in bisiness class I boarded through the Metropolitan Lounge. Did not see many coach passenger as we passed through the Amtrak waiting room to get to the gate.

I believe I've seen people line up in the Great Hall for boarding at least once the few times I've been there.

And prior to Amtrak, there were other stations in the Chicago loop hosting passenger trains. Deaborn and Central were both very busy when I traveled through Chicago in late 60s through A day. Amtrak continued to use Central for a while after it started. I caught Amtrak"s James Whitcomb Riley, The Floridian and the City of New Orleans at Central several times in 1972.

This is the way, it's always been, or at least the 35 years I've been using CUS.

Amtrak passengers do not enter directly from the South corridor to trains, as with Metra. Nor do they typically, or officially, wait in the Great Hall. (Though there is no reason you can't hang out there for awhile, if you like, assuming it is open.) Instead, they either report to the sleeping car/business waiting lounge or the general waiting area, each just off the Amtrak ticketing area. From there, Amtrak personnel announce departures and route ticketed passengers through the gates for boarding.
But these reports are new to me:

I believe I've seen people line up in the Great Hall for boarding at least once the few times I've been there.
If Amtrak coach passengers do not board from the Great Hall, why do the information boards say "boarding from Great Hall" as they did when I was boarding the Illini 4:05 PM train last Thursday, April 29?
I did take a look at http://metrarail.com...n/CUS Map 1.pdf.

My first question is who are the yellow arrows? Amtrak, BNSF, or both? It shows them going east from the great hall and turning right into the hallway just before the baggage claim area toward a new loading/staging area. It clearly shows the corridor between the old waiting room and BNSF and Amtrak tracks (concourse?) closed.

So are there now two control points? I.e have some of the GN's been transferred from the old waiting room to the border been the new loading/staging area and the red zone?

Since the red zone covers all of the south tracks, do BNSF commuters now get ticket-checked also?

It looks like the north concourse and tracks are still open (no red zone).

This is the way, it's always been, or at least the 35 years I've been using CUS.

But these reports are new to me:

If Amtrak coach passengers do not board from the Great Hall, why do the information boards say "boarding from Great Hall" as they did when I was boarding the Illini 4:05 PM train last Thursday, April 29?
I did take a look at http://metrarail.com...n/CUS Map 1.pdf.

My first question is who are the yellow arrows? Amtrak, BNSF, or both? It shows them going east from the great hall and turning right into the hallway just before the baggage claim area toward a new loading/staging area. It clearly shows the corridor between the old waiting room and BNSF and Amtrak tracks (concourse?) closed.

So are there now two control points? I.e have some of the GN's been transferred from the old waiting room to the border been the new loading/staging area and the red zone?

Since the red zone covers all of the south tracks, do BNSF commuters now get ticket-checked also?

It looks like the north concourse and tracks are still open (no red zone).
The yellow arrows on the pdf map are simply ways to enter the station. They have nothing to do with boarding. Also, they have tried, in the past to have sort of one-way area during rush hour. The arrows, again, could be for that.

When there has been construction or other things going on, they sometimes, very rarely, board from the Great Hall. Even before Amtrak no boarding was done from the Great Hall. It was simply a place to wait and sit before you went to the boarding area.

BTW - what is the date of that map you linked?

As an Old fart who remembered when Union straddled the street, I remember the thrill of Father pulling down into the bowels to drop luggage off leaving Mother and I to find a Red Cap while he found a parking space.

The great hall may no longer be the place to hang out, but it is definitely worth a visit.

They don't build them like that anymore

NorthShore said passengers do not typically board from the Great Hall. That doesn't mean it never happens.

When you see signs directing people to wait there, that's the exception to the rule. That is only done when the station is filled beyond capacity, such as St. Patrick's Day weekend, Christmas weekend, etc. I've boarded from the Great Hall a few times.

You check in at the desk set up in the Great Hall, and then they direct you to a certain area of benches, depending on your destination. They use a PA to announce boarding for certain trains and have you line up, just like the waiting room. The gate agent then kindergarten walks everyone to the gate. So really, it's not much different than waiting in the waiting room, except you do have more room to mill around.

I've noticed boarding from the Great Hall more in the last year or two than I think ever in the past. I probably pass through CHI a dozen-ish times a year, so a fair amount but certainly nothing like a daily-ish commuter who would know more about how common such a practice is.

I think they are also attempting to use the Great Hall as a holding pen a bit more in winter, when managing traffic corridors in cold weather adds extra challenges.

But this is the exception, not the norm.

Now, if I wanted to add to the confusion, I would note that I have avoided gate check by employing a red cap directly from the ticket counter area. I just told them what train I was going to and my destination and was driven directly trainside door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back