First Time in Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramerica

Service Attendant
This Saturday (June 7) my wife and I will be going from Milwaukee to New Orleans. We rode the EB in coach last year, but this year we've got a roomette. I have a few questions.

- What is the luggage situation like on the Hiawatha? We'll probably each have one suitcase, plus a backpack each. Are there luggage racks on this train?

- Sounds like we'll be able to board early for dinner, shortly before 7 PM?

- Are there luggage racks on the lower level of the sleeper like there are on the Superliner coach? We're hoping to put our suitcases there and just have our backpacks in the roomette with us. (with our change of clothes and toiletries in them, of course)

- Do we need to bring pillows or sheets for sleeping? What about washclothes and towels for showering?

- What items are recommended to bring? Duct tape, wire, power strip, windex wipes, flashlight? Anything else?

- What would you recommend for tips onboard for decent service? I think I remember reading on this board that $10/person/day for the attendant. And of course standard waitress tips.

- Do we get to board early in NO for lunch? I didn't think so.

- What is the current situation with the Memphis sinkhole? How will that affect the CONO?

Thanks!

I can answer a few of the questions. I'll leave others to answer the rest.

I believe so, but those in the Metropolitan Lounge will let you know.

- Are there luggage racks on the lower level of the sleeper like there are on the Superliner coach? We're hoping to put our suitcases there and just have our backpacks in the roomette with us. (with our change of clothes and toiletries in them, of course)
Yes.

- Do we need to bring pillows or sheets for sleeping? What about washclothes and towels for showering?
Everything will be provided for you.

- What is the current situation with the Memphis sinkhole? How will that affect the CONO?
Last I heard is that were building a temporary station, but it should not cause much delay.

My father thinks tipping $5 for 2 people in a roomette on any trip is perfectly fine. I tip 10/day/person for good service, 5/day/person for acceptable service, $0/day/person for bad service, and I can't tell you the ceiling, because if someone goes above and beyond for something, I will tip what I see as fair, and that can be a large number.

- What is the luggage situation like on the Hiawatha? We'll probably each have one suitcase, plus a backpack each. Are there luggage racks on this train?
Yes, both overhead and at the ends of the car.

Give or take a few minutes.

- What items are recommended to bring? Duct tape, wire, power strip, windex wipes, flashlight? Anything else?
Seems like a good list to me.

- What would you recommend for tips onboard for decent service? I think I remember reading on this board that $10/person/day for the attendant. And of course standard waitress tips.
Those numbers are correct, provided that you've received service. If you can never find your sleeping car attendant, then feel free to tip less or nothing if they've done nothing for you. Normally they should introduce themselves, give you a quick tour of your room and answer any questions, put down your beds upon request, return them to the daytime configuration in the morning, provide coffee at the coffee station, a wake up call if you ask for it, as well as attempting to deal with any problems. Of course they may not be able to fix many problems, but they should at least try or explain why they can't fix it politely.

- Do we get to board early in NO for lunch? I didn't think so.
No. Lunch is not served out of NOL. In theory one can purchase items from the all day menu, although there have been a few reports that certain crews may not be allowing this. But again the key word there is purchase, you will have to pay for anything you buy for lunch out of NOL.

We use the Citys sleepers fairly often lately.. It does seem they are a bit noisier than some and I have often recalled reading about people duct taping an offending door with it! For some reason the beds on it rattle even in the up position against the wall supports which on the other sleepers I have used haven't been a real issue.

I like you decided that when using the roomette a small carry on luggage would be wiser than a large piece to try and juggle about in the room. That worked much better. If I wanted to change a shirt I would just go downstairs and open my suitcase and use one of the lower level rest rooms to quickly change.

I agree with allen, service is a requirement for the quality of tip to me. Fortunately there are several attendants on the CN that are quite helpful and friendly. I personally have always used the tipping when detraining method rather than on a daily basis. 10.00 a day would seem high to me, but I may be way out of touch.

I may be the only one, but the idea of having to eat your meal while sitting in that tunnel under chicago just leaves me cold. We did do it the last trip because we we hungry but I much preferred to eat after the train left the station so you could at least have something to look at other than concrete walls..

Keep in mid that the Hiawatha has checked baggage, if only between the endpoints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back