First time rider planning a ride for the ages! Help needed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I am new to the site and amtrak. I haven't ever ridden on a train before but, I decided now is the time. Iam going big. Minneapolis to New York to LA to San Francisco to Seatle and back to Minneapolis. I checked rates on these moves and it comes to nearly 915.00 USD. During my searching the site I found the USA pass. 12 segments in 30 days for 579.00,excuse my ignorance, but does this apply to the trip I am planning? And if so can I pay additional for upgrades to sleepers for parts of the trip? I am really excited to go on this three week adventure any help is appreciated.

casey

thanks

First off, I am new to the site and amtrak. I haven't ever ridden on a train before but, I decided now is the time. Iam going big. Minneapolis to New York to LA to San Francisco to Seatle and back to Minneapolis. I checked rates on these moves and it comes to nearly 915.00 USD. During my searching the site I found the USA pass. 12 segments in 30 days for 579.00,excuse my ignorance, but does this apply to the trip I am planning? And if so can I pay additional for upgrades to sleepers for parts of the trip? I am really excited to go on this three week adventure any help is appreciated.
casey

thanks
Welcome aboard! You are at the right place!

As long as you are not taking more than 12 separate trains, I believe the answer is yes, this applies. I would read the restriction on the Amtrak site carefully.

Yes, you can upgrade to sleepers, but you pay the full sleeper price. The 30 day pass applies to the rail fare only, not sleepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! :cool: You made a great choice!

Yes it does!

But count your segments, as each new train OR THRUWAY BUS that requires a new ticket is another segment! You take the same train from Chicago to LA, so that is one segment. You can take the same train from LA to Oakland or Emeryville, that would be one segment. (But if you get there via the Thruway bus to Bakersfield, you would need 1 ticket for the Thruway and 1 for the train, thus it would be 2 segments.) Either way, you then need to take a bus for the 20 minute or so ride across the Bay. That would be another segment!

And yes, you can upgrade to sleepers for parts of the trip. Also keep in mind that the fare for the sleeper includes meals in the diner :) ! (In coach, you need to pay for meals! :( ) So that alone could save $40-50 per day per person! And the fare for the sleeper is the same for 2 people as it is for 1 person!

Ask any questions you have - we don't bite! :D

I'd add that the pass may not be as good a deal as it originally looks. What you need to add up the rail fare portion of the price after you have been quoted the price for a sleeper. Fares operate on a "bucket" system, where there are a certain number of seats (or rooms) sold at each particular price, then the price rises. However, if you book a sleeper you will always be charged the lowest bucket rail fare. If the rail fare portion of your trip exceeds the cost of a rail pass, then it will be worthwhile to get one. I'm not sure how upgrading to a sleeper works on a rail pass, but I've heard it's possible. You will have to pay the full sleeper cost, however.

casey

thanks
I'd add that the pass may not be as good a deal as it originally looks. What you need to add up the rail fare portion of the price after you have been quoted the price for a sleeper. Fares operate on a "bucket" system, where there are a certain number of seats (or rooms) sold at each particular price, then the price rises. However, if you book a sleeper you will always be charged the lowest bucket rail fare. If the rail fare portion of your trip exceeds the cost of a rail pass, then it will be worthwhile to get one. I'm not sure how upgrading to a sleeper works on a rail pass, but I've heard it's possible. You will have to pay the full sleeper cost, however.
So I did a test itinerary and got a total of $627 for low bucket, assuming the following route:

• MSP - NYP (Empire Builder to Lake Shore Limited) - 2 segment
  • NYP to LAX (Cardinal to Southwest Chief) - 2 segments
  • LAX to SF (Coast Starlight to EMY + bus to get into SF) - 2 segments
  • SF to SEA (Bus to get to EMY + Coast Starlight) - 2 segments
  • SEA to MSP (Empire Builder) - 1 segment.
This is only 9 segments, so you could take more trains (different connections) to see more of the country. Up to three more. That would also raise the $627 number too.

It might be fun to go from NYP to LAX via New Orleans. You could even go from New Orleans to LAX via Chicago! If you did that, it would be three segments (NYP to NOL, NOL to CHI, CHI to LAX). But I believe you would have to overnight in NOL.

Sounds like fun!

If it were me AND I was trying to maximize the amount of time on the train, I would do this:

• MSP to NYP (Empire Builder to CHI + Lake Shore Limited) - 2 segments
  • NYP to NOL (Crescent) - 1 segment
  • NOL to LAX (City of New Orleans to CHI + Texas Eagle) - 2 segments
  • LAX to SF (Southwest Chief to Chi + California Zephyr to EMY + bus to get into SF) - 3 segments
  • SF to SEA (Bus to get to EMY + Coast Starlight) - 2 segments
  • SEA to MSP (Cascades to Portland + Empire Builder) - 2 segments.
That would get you 4 of 5 western trains (NO Sunset Limited) + the Coast Starlight (north of SF), Crescent, CONO and LSL! But I am crazy.

I assume your goal is not to spend so much time on a train. This would require overnights in NYP, NOL, LAX (?), CHI, and SEA.

Boy that sounds like FUN! But the sleeper upgrades would be a killer!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Ok here is my full plan.

Minneapolis-chicago- empire builder

chicago-new york- lake shore limited

New york- chicago lake shore limited

chicago- los angeles- southwest chief

los angeles-oakland- coast starlight

oakland to san francisco wharf- bus

san fransisco wharf-emeryville- bus

emeryville- martinez cascades

martinez - eureka- bus

eureka- martinez - bus

martinez-seattle- coast starlight

seattle to minneapolis- empire builder.

with overnight stays

NYC-3 nights hostel

LA- 3 nights hostel

sf-2 nights hostel

Eureka 4 nights brothers house

seattle 2 nights hostel

I would love to get New orleans in there. I might go for the 45day 18 segment, if so I will go down to florida and through new orleans. I am quitting one job to do this so lets make it a Doozy!

And I would only look for a sleeper upgrade on the chicago to la. I want to mix it up with the as many people as possible. I am a writer and I can't pass up that kind opportunity to listen to how people from different backrounds speak to each other.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Ok here is my full plan.

Minneapolis-chicago- empire builder

chicago-new york- lake shore limited

New york- chicago lake shore limited

chicago- los angeles- southwest chief

los angeles-oakland- coast starlight

oakland to san francisco wharf- bus

san fransisco wharf-emeryville- bus

emeryville- martinez cascades

martinez - eureka- bus

eureka- martinez - bus

martinez-seattle- coast starlight

seattle to minneapolis- empire builder.

with overnight stays

NYC-3 nights hostel

LA- 3 nights hostel

sf-2 nights hostel

Eureka 4 nights brothers house

seattle 2 nights hostel

I would love to get New orleans in there. I might go for the 45day 18 segment, if so I will go down to florida and through new orleans. I am quitting one job to do this so lets make it a Doozy!
Might I suggest taking the Cardinal from NYP to CHI instead of the LSL again. Better scenery and not taking the LSL again. Also, you go through Washington. They both take two days, but the Cardinal takes longer (leaves early in the morning versus the LSL which leaves NYP in the afternoon). Both are one segment.

And I would only look for a sleeper upgrade on the chicago to la. I want to mix it up with the as many people as possible. I am a writer and I can't pass up that kind opportunity to listen to how people from different backrounds speak to each other.
If you took the Cardinal, you might meet some interesting people. It does spend a fair amount of time in West Virginia. :lol:

I would prefer to do it that way but I thought it would be two segments and push me over the 12 segments.

san fransisco wharf-emeryville- busemeryville- martinez cascades

martinez - eureka- bus
You may want to compare the cost of PURCHASING this portion! ;)

I'm not exactly sure how much or how long it is, but I think from SF to Martinez is very cheap - like under $10! Based on your list, because you would need 3 tickets, it would count for 3 segments! :eek:

BTW - Emeryville to Martinez is the Capitol Corridor, not the Cascades. (Those are between Portland, Seattle and Vancouver!)

Aloha

For LA you may wish to consider the Metro Plaza over a Hostel, it is within sight of LAUS, and a number of our members have used it for LA stays.

Ok here is my finalized planned itinerary,

DLK-CHI= Empire Builder

CHI-NYP= Lake Shore Limited -- Hostel 3 nights

NYP-BOS= Northeast Regional -- Hostel 2 nights

BOS-NYP= Northeast Regional

NYP-NOL= Crescent -- Hostel 2 nights

NOL-LAX= Sunset -- Hostel 3 nights (or hotel if I can get a good enough deal)

LAX-OKJ= Coast Starlight -- Hostel 1 night

MTZ-EKA= BUS

EKA- MTZ= BUS -- Hostel 1 night

MTZ- SEA= Coast Starlight --hostel 2 nights

SEA-DLK= Empire Builder

This will take 3.5 weeks and I get to go nearly everywhere I want except FL and ME. I am going to be getting a rail pass for 30 days and 12 segments, what is the best way to go about booking these moves? I get the pass then do I have to buy the tickets for the rides or do I have a "segment account" that gets reduced with every segment I book? I am getting so excited for this I can barely handle it. To bad its still 9 months before I am planning to go.

I'm not sure of the exact procedure, but I do know you have to purchase the Pass, and then make all the reservations. It's good that your holiday is 9 months off - because all the segments are probably still low bucket (low fare)! Also, you should book ASAP, as the trains may fill up! (9 months away may be summer, and that is when trains are at their fullest! Especially the Empire Builder!)

If you are thinking of using a sleeper on any segments, I would book them YESTERDAY (if not sooner) - especially if the trip is during the summer! ;)

DLK-CHI= Empire Builder

MTZ-EKA= BUS

SEA-DLK= Empire Builder

This will take 3.5 weeks and I get to go nearly everywhere I want except FL and ME. I am going to be getting a rail pass for 30 days and 12 segments, what is the best way to go about booking these moves? I get the pass then do I have to buy the tickets for the rides or do I have a "segment account" that gets reduced with every segment I book? I am getting so excited for this I can barely handle it. To bad its still 9 months before I am planning to go.
Nice itinierary!

I thought there was a restriction when buying passes, that the first leg had to be started within 6 months of purchasing the pass. Is this still the case? If it is 9 months away, you might have to wait 3 months before buying and using the pass.

Thanks for the advise. I want to get a sleeper for The Sunset if not for the Sunset and the Cresent.

And yeah is still the time requirement

DLK-CHI= Empire Builder

MTZ-EKA= BUS

SEA-DLK= Empire Builder

Nice itinierary!

I thought there was a restriction when buying passes, that the first leg had to be started within 6 months of purchasing the pass. Is this still the case? If it is 9 months away, you might have to wait 3 months before buying and using the pass.
The above is correct, you must purchase and start using the rail pass no sooner than 6 months before the first leg of your trip. Once you purchase the pass, then you make reservations for all of the segments you intend to use during the length/segment limitation of the selected pass whether coach or upgrade to business class or sleeprs which of course costs additional money! Since there is a limit on the number of seats reserved for pass holders I'd suggest you buy/book your trip six months to the day before your trip starts so as to get the lowest buckets you can for your sleeper ugrades!

Remember that some routes do not allow use of the pass (ACELA/Auto Train/Certain thruway route busses/trains to/from Canada).

Id look into booking the hotels/hostels as soon as possible, there are great deals to be had on orbitz/hotwire/priceline etc. and the hostels tend to fill up rapidly in the summer in the major cities since so many people from all over the world travel here in the warmer months! As an aside, the Hostel Intl. in downtown Chicago is the best one I've seen/stayed in and Ive pretty much been in them for over 40 years all over the world(the one here in Austin,Tex is pretty nice too, the worst one Ive seen is in New York City!!) Hope this helps? :)

Just saw your post re sleepers, the Crescent is a single level viewliner sleeper, overnight, usually reasonable for a sleeper, the Sunset is Superliner cars, not as comfortable for a roomette but the trip is longer and the prices tend to rise in the summer so book early as you can (see the 6 month limit above)!

Question: is it still true that only the lowest bucket fare is eligible for purchase with a USA Rail Pass? Amtrak's website is not terribly clear on this point:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1241305460725

"Reservations for train travel should be made as far in advance as possible; seats available for USA Rail Pass passengers are limited on each train. We do not recommend waiting until the day of departure to make your reservations since there is a greater chance that seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass may not be available on your desired train. If your plans are not flexible, non-USA Rail Pass seats may be available at an additional cost."

Does "seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass" = "lowest bucket"?

Question: is it still true that only the lowest bucket fare is eligible for purchase with a USA Rail Pass? Amtrak's website is not terribly clear on this point:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1241305460725

"Reservations for train travel should be made as far in advance as possible; seats available for USA Rail Pass passengers are limited on each train. We do not recommend waiting until the day of departure to make your reservations since there is a greater chance that seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass may not be available on your desired train. If your plans are not flexible, non-USA Rail Pass seats may be available at an additional cost."

Does "seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass" = "lowest bucket"?
In my experience it means exactly that! I've used rail passes many times over the years, only had a few instances of coach seats not being available due to demand/high bucket prices and these were on the popular trains like CS/EB/SWC/LSL/Crescent. In a couple of instances I took other dates and spent the night, never had any trouble upgrading to biz class or sleepers though, whatever the going price was for an upgrade they have always accomidated me if I wanted to pay the asking price! Thats why it's so important to book ahead as far as possible and be flexible, especially in the summer and during heavy holiday travel periods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back