First Time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayndim

Train Attendant
I am finally taking a train in the United States. I have done it many times in Europe but I am sure it is a different experience here. Anyway, I will be booking it tomorrow. I am going from Maricopa, AZ (I have a ride there) and going to New Orleans and am getting a roomette. Any opinions on booking online versus on the phone. If I book online, do I get to pick my room location? Any advice on what location is best. Besides enjoying the journey, I will be working on finishing my script, so having a outlet is essential. From what I understand each sleeper has one.

I am very excited about the whole journey and any advice on how to make the most of it would be great.

Thanks,

Andrea

Welcome!

When you book online, you do not get a choice of which roomette (or bedroom for that fact) that you get. The computer assigns which ever one is next in that price bucket. You may, however, get a choice when booking by phone.

As to the location, it's personal choice. I prefer upper level for the views. Some prefer lower level. Some don't like a room at the end of the car. I myself don't mind it. Each room has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Take advantage of the dining car meals (which are included in the price of your ticket since you are in a sleeper), and spend some time in the lounge car; both of these are a significant part of the enjoyment of the experience (in my opinion).

Thank you for your quick responses. I guess I should just take my chances with online booking and let them assign the room. That way I can figure out what I do like. It will be an excuse to take more train rides to find out my preferences.

I will be sure to take advantage of the meals. I will have been on a strict diet for 3 months prior, so I plan to enjoy the food on the train and in New Orleans.

The biggest advantage to booking online is that the ticket is 100% refundable, up until 7 days before departure (for sleepers). This is assuming that you select the "pick up tickets at station" option when booking. If you book over the phone, there's a minimum 10% penalty if you choose to cancel. If you don't like the room that you're assigned by the website, you can call Amtrak and see if there are any other rooms available at the same price. In my experience, just changing your room # on the phone does not prevent you from cancelling penalty-free on the website later. However, if you make more substantial changes (such as trains, dates, etc.) by phone to an online reservation, you might get an error message along the lines of "this reservation cannot be cancelled online because it has been modified since it was ticketed."

The biggest advantage to booking online is that the ticket is 100% refundable, up until 7 days before departure (for sleepers).
If you book over the phone, there's a minimum 10% penalty if you choose to cancel.
I didn't know the cancellation policy was different if you booked on the telephone. I thought you could cancel reservations as long as the tickets haven't been printed (with the 7 day restriction for sleepers). I will remember this information.

The biggest advantage to booking online is that the ticket is 100% refundable, up until 7 days before departure (for sleepers).
If you book over the phone, there's a minimum 10% penalty if you choose to cancel.
I didn't know the cancellation policy was different if you booked on the telephone. I thought you could cancel reservations as long as the tickets haven't been printed (with the 7 day restriction for sleepers). I will remember this information.
The policy is the same for phone or internet, provided that you don't have the tickets sent to you or pick them up at a station.

It is however a bit harder to cancel a phone reservation, since you have to get someone on the phone again to do the cancellation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back