First Time to NYP - Advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJay

Train Attendant
Well Ms. Jay finally got her way and we are headed to the Big City in early Nov. But I got my way too - we are going by train (I knew those AGR points would come in handy one day!) The Amtrak part is easy, SAS-NOL-NYP going up and NYP-CHI-SAS on the way home. However I would like some pointers on how best to navigate the dreaded NYP . . . . all we need ot do is get from our arriving train to baggage claim, exit the building, experience a NYC cab ride (!) and then just the opposite on our return (check baggage, find Club Acela lounge). Based on great past advice from the forum we have succesfully handled WAS (piece of cake) and CUS (not too bad) but have heard that NYP can be a maze for a newbie. Appreciate any thoughts and guidance from the pros (Alan?) on how to keep from getting forever lost in the station or ending up in "Joisey" instead of our hotel near Times Square! Am I correct to assume that sleeper pax board from the lounge as usual at other stations? As usual, apologies in advance if this topic has been recently addressed and I managed to miss it.

Well Ms. Jay finally got her way and we are headed to the Big City in early Nov. But I got my way too - we are going by train (I knew those AGR points would come in handy one day!) The Amtrak part is easy, SAS-NOL-NYP going up and NYP-CHI-SAS on the way home. However I would like some pointers on how best to navigate the dreaded NYP . . . . all we need ot do is get from our arriving train to baggage claim, exit the building, experience a NYC cab ride (!) and then just the opposite on our return (check baggage, find Club Acela lounge). Based on great past advice from the forum we have succesfully handled WAS (piece of cake) and CUS (not too bad) but have heard that NYP can be a maze for a newbie. Appreciate any thoughts and guidance from the pros (Alan?) on how to keep from getting forever lost in the station or ending up in "Joisey" instead of our hotel near Times Square! Am I correct to assume that sleeper pax board from the lounge as usual at other stations? As usual, apologies in advance if this topic has been recently addressed and I managed to miss it.
Redcap to cab? Chicago has street construction obstacles and I used a Redcap for a reasonable tip to the cab stand. NYP may be the same in terms of the worth of paying a Redcap trip to a cab.

Redcap to cab? Chicago has street construction obstacles and I used a Redcap for a reasonable tip to the cab stand. NYP may be the same in terms of the worth of paying a Redcap trip to a cab.
That would be my suggestion as well. The redcaps are plentiful at the baggage claim area and once you claim your bags they can take your luggage up to street level to get a cab. On your return trip have your cab driver drop you off at the same location you departed previously. Redcaps may not be as plentiful at street level but you should eventually catch one. Follow the redcap to the bagage area, check your bags, and it is a stone throws to Club Acela from the baggage area.

From someone who has experienced NYP just this summer, will try to help a little. You will take two sets of stairs up from the platform to the baggage claim area. Baggage claim is right next to the ClubAcela. When receiving you baggage, they will open up a big metal rollup door, then you wander around in a small room until you find your luggage.

On the return, there is a desk just to the right of that metal door where you will check your luggage to your final destination.

Not sure what all the levels are called, but I was able to find the baggage claim pretty easily.

Unlike some other stations, it is not possible to go from the Club Acela directly to the train. (It was not possible to build a direct connection to every track.) But the CA is still well worth the quiet from the "hustle & bustle" of NYP!

I second the option of using a Red Cap. They are plentiful at NYP and well worth the tip.

Unlike some other stations, it is not possible to go from the Club Acela directly to the train. (It was not possible to build a direct connection to every track.) But the CA is still well worth the quiet from the "hustle & bustle" of NYP!
I second the option of using a Red Cap. They are plentiful at NYP and well worth the tip.
Thanks to all - Redcaps it will be. On using the CA lounge, even though no direct path to trains, will they still somehow board the sleeper pax as a group ahead of others or will we have to "fend for ourselves" among the masses when the track assignment or boarding call is made? Also - reccomended tip for Recaps?

Thanks, RJ

Thanks to all - Redcaps it will be. On using the CA lounge, even though no direct path to trains, will they still somehow board the sleeper pax as a group ahead of others or will we have to "fend for ourselves" among the masses when the track assignment or boarding call is made? Also - reccomended tip for Recaps?

Thanks, RJ
You will indeed board as a group ahead of general boarding. Don't worry by happy. :) I would tip the redcap at least five dollars for the service and perhaps as high as $10 depending how much luggage you will bring,

I hope you have a great trip and a fun time in New York City.

If there are indeed redcaps available, by all means use one if they can assist you in getting a taxi.

I have never notice them there, but I never check my luggage there so I would have not had any reason to look for one.

When you get off the train and go upstairs at NY Penn Station, it will appear to be complete chaos, with people everywhere. The main area is round so it is easy to get disoriented.

The Acela Lounge and baggage claim area is not at all easy to spot if you don't already know where it is.

Look for the Amtrak ticket windows. The lounge and baggage claim are all the way to the left of the ticket windows.

If you cannot get a redcap and must get up to street level on your own, I believe there is a taxi stand out front on 8th avenue, where cab drivers pick up passengers at a specific point.

Do not under any circumstances let anyone help you with your bags if they are not a redcap. And do not accept a ride with anything other than a genuine yellow cab. There are many "gypsy cabs" in NY that are not legal, and they often try to get tourists to ride with them. They usually charge twice what a yellow cab would cost, and will most certainly rip you off.

Just be cautious and careful.

Bill

The shorter stairways from the platform go up one level to the LIRR level. The long escalators go right up to the Amtrak level. Take the long escalator and you'll end up right in the Amtrak concourse area. If you face the ticket windows the Acela Lounge is to your right. It's really not that bad, there's lots of signs around. If you have luggage I would leave in the Acela lounge storage area. You don't want to be lugging luggage around on a taxi. The Empire State Building is close to the station and Times Square is about a ten-fifteen minute walk.

You will indeed board as a group ahead of general boarding. Don't worry by happy. :) I would tip the redcap at least five dollars for the service and perhaps as high as $10 depending how much luggage you will bring,
No. They don't do that NYP. What they do do, however, is inform you of the track number a few minutes before the general morass gets it. However, with a radio scanner, or simple knowledge of NYP, you can not only know what track its on, but also be able to get down to the platform before they start actually accepting passengers at that platform.

No. They don't do that NYP. What they do do, however, is inform you of the track number a few minutes before the general morass gets it. However, with a radio scanner, or simple knowledge of NYP, you can not only know what track its on, but also be able to get down to the platform before they start actually accepting passengers at that platform.
GML is right. Do not count on being the first on the platform just for having been in Club Acela. The only way to guarantee that is to use a Red Cap, or have your own scanner, or know enough about NYP ops to make a good enough guess. I generally go for the second or third option. :)

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I requested a Red Cap to help me while I was in the Amtrak seating area. The Red Cap took me down the main way to the platform. Before the train arrived! :D I was on the train and in my seat before the crowd boarded! It was well worth the tip! :)

If one is standing in the main hall looking at the ticket windows, then the Club Acela is to one's left (not the right), behind the west gate for tracks 7&8. Taxi stands can be found either on the 7th Avenue side or the 8th Avenue side of the station. Redcaps are not allowed to hail a cab for you, you must wait in the line at the taxi stand for your turn at a cab.

If one requests a redcap to bring them down to the departing train, then you will avoid the line at the gate. Otherwise, unless you know what to do and how to do it, you will have to stand in line at the gate once the train is announced in the lounge.

Also note that most platforms have both two long escalators and at least one short escalator, so one look for the long escalator or one that says Amtrak or Concourse level.

If one is standing in the main hall looking at the ticket windows, then the Club Acela is to one's left (not the right), behind the west gate for tracks 7&8. Taxi stands can be found either on the 7th Avenue side or the 8th Avenue side of the station. Redcaps are not allowed to hail a cab for you, you must wait in the line at the taxi stand for your turn at a cab.
If one requests a redcap to bring them down to the departing train, then you will avoid the line at the gate. Otherwise, unless you know what to do and how to do it, you will have to stand in line at the gate once the train is announced in the lounge.

Also note that most platforms have both two long escalators and at least one short escalator, so one look for the long escalator or one that says Amtrak or Concourse level.
Hmm.. did they move the lounge? Or is my memory just bad? I thought it was over on the side by the big restaurant (Houlihans or something like that). That's on the right side of the station. Haven't been there in a while though so I could be just remembering wrong. Will be there in October transfering to the LSL.

Hmm.. did they move the lounge? Or is my memory just bad? I thought it was over on the side by the big restaurant (Houlihans or something like that). That's on the right side of the station. Haven't been there in a while though so I could be just remembering wrong. Will be there in October transfering to the LSL.
They haven't moved the lounge, and it's far closer to baggage claim than it is to that restaurant. The public bathrooms are closer to that restaurant and both those restrooms and the restaurant are to the right or 33rd Street side of the station. Club Acela is to the left or 31st Street side of the station.

They haven't moved the lounge, and it's far closer to baggage claim than it is to that restaurant. The public bathrooms are closer to that restaurant and both those restrooms and the restaurant are to the right or 33rd Street side of the station. Club Acela is to the left or 31st Street side of the station.
And I believe the restaurant (Houlihans) is closed.

But the CA is still well worth the quiet from the "hustle & bustle" of NYP!
Even the Coach passengers can avoid the "hustle and bustle". There is a Waiting Room for them in the middle of the Amtrak Station, glassed in and you show your Ticket to enter. It kind of feels like being inside a Goldfish Bowl, but it is peaceful and fairly quiet... at least compared to Outside!

Based on great past advice from the forum we have successfully handled WAS (piece of cake) and CUS (not too bad) but have heard that NYP can be a maze for a newbie.
It's really not that bad. From your Train, just follow the Crowd upstairs to the main Amtrak area. Ticketing, Lounge, and Waiting Room are all close by. Everything else you will need is at the North-West Corner (the corner of 8th Ave and 34th Street)... exit upstairs to the Street (for Taxi's) and downstairs to the Subway and the Food Court, which in turn leads to the area for New Jersey Transit and the Long Island RailRoad (as I recall, but they DO have signs for these things), and some more Subway lines if you didn't like the ones at the first Station (they all go north-south along Manhattan, just under different Streets). Or that's how it looks from California, anyway.

Perhaps the "lounge" you are remembering is actually the small one hidden inside the station services office that is reserved for elderly or handicapped passengers needing assistance, and unaccompanied minors, or sometimes VIP's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps the "lounge" you are remembering is actually the small one hidden inside the station services office that is reserved for elderly or handicapped passengers needing assistance, and unaccompanied minors, or sometimes VIP's?
No, my memory is probably just foggy. I've been in the lounge quite a few times, mostly back when it was the "metropolitan lounge", I think that was the name. The lounge at Penn is actually pretty nice too. Not nearly as crowded as CUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, my memory is probably just foggy. I've been in the lounge quite a few times, mostly back when it was the "metropolitan lounge", I think that was the name. The lounge at Penn is actually pretty nice too. Not nearly as crowded as CUS.
Metropolitan Lounge was indeed the old name for both NY's lounge and DC's. I believe that Philly also used that name prior to the Acela trains being delivered to Amtrak. Then all were renamed Club Acela, and Amtrak added the lounge in Boston to the collection.

The main thing to realize about NYP imho, is to realize its very complex. There are 2 floors, lots of narrow hallways, and 4 different railways serving this station, each with there own concourse. Also, since the station is below street level, its sometimes hard to tell which escalators take you to additional levels, or to the exit.

As long as you know all this, it's really pretty simple, and my guess is that you will find it easy once your there.

Last time I rode a LD in sleeper (this last Feb.) the Conductors did board Sleeper passengers first, so sometimes it does happen but if not no need to worry, if you've got a sleeper there will be no rush to get a good seat! :)

The main thing to realize about NYP imho, is to realize its very complex. There are 2 floors, lots of narrow hallways, and 4 different railways serving this station, each with there own concourse. Also, since the station is below street level, its sometimes hard to tell which escalators take you to additional levels, or to the exit.
Last I knew there were only three RR's serving NYP, the Long Island RR, New Jersey Transit, and Amtrak.

Perhaps one day in the future we might see Metro North, but not at the moment.

Last I knew there were only three RR's serving NYP, the Long Island RR, New Jersey Transit, and Amtrak.

Perhaps one day in the future we might see Metro North, but not at the moment.
Perhaps he was 'upgrading' the subway to 'railway' staus? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back