First time traveler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bri

I'm taking the Sunset Limited (I think...) from Jacksonville, FL to Tucson, AZ. I have a roommette, and I have a few questions. First, since I'll be in the room alone, will there be enough room to take a small suitcase so that I can change clothes? I don't want to have my friends pick me up in the same smelly clothes I've been wearing for three days! And secondly, and I admit this is probably a stupid question, is there a door and a lock for the roommette? I'm taking a laptop to watch movies, and an ipod, and I just want to make sure that there will be some sort of security so that I don't end up in Tucson without them! And finally, is the ride bumpy enough that motion sickness would be an issue? Thank you all so much for your help.

The only way to lock the door is when you're in the room. When you leave the room, I would recommend to have the curtains and door closed, but keep the electronic devices out of view such as under the pillow, in top bunk, suitcase, etc. Thefts is extremely rare.

Since you'll be traveling alone, you can put the small suitcase in top bunk. Take only what you need and leave others in large suitcase as a checked baggage if departure and arrival stations is staffed. If not, you can store it in lower level where it has large suitcase racks.

I carried a laptop and two digital cameras on the Empire Builder last year in a bedroom. As mentioned, pack them away, out of sight and close the door and curtains when you leave the room. No problem in doing this.

You do have enough space for a small suitcase as that won't be a problem. There is a door that locks and a curtain that you can open or close if you want privacy. There is not much room in the standard bedroom but enough so you can change your clothes. I guess to answer the question about being bumpy. It really depends on the tracks and how much motion it takes to get you sick. There is back and forth movement on the train but I would bring medication just in case it gets to be too much for you.

I really think you will enjoy riding on the train and I know you will especially enjoy the great scenery that you will see on the way. You can't beat the train if you enjoy relaxing and watching the country side go by. I hope you have a nice trip and please let us know if you enjoyed your experience.

Also make sure that you allow for the train arriving late, as the Sunset Limited is notorious for being several hours late.

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to the trip, I've only ever flown across the country and I'm really excited to actually get to see the scenery!

And don't worry, I have taken into account the fact that the train is almost always late!!

Changing clothes is an experience. It is very difficult to change clothes while lying down. Putting pants on in the dark for bathroom visits during the night is a thrill. Just plan ahead and only have required items in the room. I had a lower level room that was only steps from the suitcase storage, bathrooms, and the shower which helped.

I've brought my laptop, ipod and digital camera many times in a roomette. Usually I just bring the ipod with me when I leave the room. The laptop gets slipped under a pillow, and I close the curtain and the door as well. The sleeping car is only for sleeping car passengers. You will not have to worry about alot of passengers going through that could be potential thieves.

Back