First time trip questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are taking a trip from LA to Glacier Park on the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder routes. We have booked the Roomettes for the overnight segments. We would appreciate any tips you might have for us. We have read the Tips section, but would like any guidance specific to this trip and the Roomette.

One question we had was leaving valuables in the Roomette. Does it lock? Perhaps best thing is just keep in with us, but that is a bit of a hassle. Things like laptop, scanner etc.

How do you know you are on the "Good Side" of the train for the best scenary? The reservation has Room and Car info. Is there a diagram somewhere?

Thanks in advance

How do you know you are on the "Good Side" of the train for the best scenary? The reservation has Room and Car info. Is there a diagram somewhere?
Which end of the sleeping car is the front is somewhat random, so you won't really know what side you're on until you board the train. However, the Sightseer Lounge cars have bigger windows than the sleeping cars anyway.

One question we had was leaving valuables in the Roomette. Does it lock? Perhaps best thing is just keep in with us, but that is a bit of a hassle. Things like laptop, scanner etc.
The room locks - but only from the inside! Each room has a door and curtains. With them closed, no one knows if you are in the room or not. What many people do is that if they're out of the room, they put things like their laptop out of view - such as in a bag.

I'm not denying that a theft could occur (like anywhere else), but think about it - where would the thief go when the train is moving at 79 MPH? :huh:

Since sleepers can be set facing either direction, there is no way of knowing if you're on the "right side" or "left side" until you board! Diagram of the car's layout.

There are a couple hours of oceanfront from Ventura to Vandenberg and Cuesta pass north of SLO. Also a brief run thru Elkhorn Slough north of Salinas. Any/all of those would be best seen from the Parlor car or the Lounge. Other than that there's nothing particularly 'scenic' on day 1 and your room can be on either side. 2nd day is scenic from Mt Shasta over the cascades and again the lounges are the best place to view. Are you going to seattle with a layover to the Builder or transferring in Portland? If late, you'll likely get a bus KFalls-Pasco and miss the cascades and the columbia gorge run from portland.

If you board in LA, make a beeline for the lounge. Especially if there is no PPC because the coach passengers will take up the Sightseer.

While your on the Coast Starlight you'll get to possibly enjoy the Parlor car which is unique to the Coast Starlight. I would have suggested to wait to buy the sleeper until on board, but then you do risk a chance at getting a sleeper. Last time I was on they offered me the cheapest bucket price. Been on both trains several times and they are both great fun. Have a fun trip!!

Are you going to seattle with a layover to the Builder or transferring in Portland? If late, you'll likely get a bus KFalls-Pasco and miss the cascades and the columbia gorge run from portland.
If OP is connecting from the northbound CS to the eastbound EB without a day (or more) stopover in PDX or SEA, the only option is the bus from KFalls to Pasco. Amtrak will not book a same day connection in Portland! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for all of the great responses!

Sounds like the "Lounge Lizards" are a real problem...will see about grabbing a seat in the Parlor car for at least the first part of the trip.

We have a layover in EUG, then up to MVW before heading out to Glacier. Have to take a bus from EUG to PDX then trains all the rest....assuming we don't miss a connection.

There are a couple hours of oceanfront from Ventura to Vandenberg and Cuesta pass north of SLO.
Do NOT miss Cuesta Grade northbound out of San Luis Obispo (SLO). Minutes out of town there's a famous horseshoe curve as the train climbs the mountains, then winds through the hills, still gaining altitude, until you can look down and see SLO (where you were a few minutes ago) as if from an airplane. You can also see Highway 101 from far above as the train curls through curves and tunnels.

I don't understand the obsession with getting the "good side" of the train. As a fairly frequent Coast Starlight passenger for years, I assure everybody that there is no bad side.

Other than that there's nothing particularly 'scenic' on day 1...
Some people like the hills and rocks and tunnels between Chatsworth and Simi Valley. Some have even enjoyed the views of San Francisco and the sparking lights all along the Bay.

If late, you'll likely get a bus KFalls-Pasco and miss the cascades and the columbia gorge run from portland.
That would really be a shame. Better to stay on the Train and overnight in Portland (or Seattle).

Some people like the hills and rocks and tunnels between Chatsworth and Simi Valley.
I'm one of those people. That's the Santa Susanna Pass. Climbing out of the San Fernando Valley the scenery is pretty striking, and can be seen in many old movie Westerns. Also three tunnels, two short and one fairly long. One time a guy sitting next to me asked why it suddenly got dark. Tunnel, but told him it was an unscheduled eclipse. He believed it. After the third tunnel he exclaimed, "Three eclipses in one day! Is that a record?" "For unscheduled ones, yes." Some people...

Another time, aboard a San Diegan (now Pacific Surfliner) running north out of L.A. in push mode (Amfleet equipment), I was standing up front talking with the engineer - cab door open, and a chatty guy. A bunch of kids aboard on a Friday afternoon, and the engineer was letting them take turns doing the horn thing. Naturally they were thrilled. Over the Santa Susanna Pass, in a narrow rock cut, the guy said to me, "Watch this," and hit the horn. All the kids about jumped outta their shoes. In the cut the horn volume was highly magnified, and the engineer had played a joke on the tykes. The good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back