First Train Trip; Empire Builder - St. Paul to Glacier

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crazy Vacationer

Train Attendant
To date, I've ridden Amtrak 3 times: St. Paul to Duluth (one way), and St. Paul to Wisconsin Dells (round trip) - both times in coach.

I'm taking my family - wife and 2 sons (9 and 14) to Glacier in June 2011 for a family vacation. We have also talked about taking the train for a vacation. When doing our vacation planning, we decided that driving to Glacier made more sense, and that we would wait with the train for another trip. My 9 year old was disappointed, but he understood and said it was OK.

BUT I decided to take one more look at the train, and booked that instead.

From STP to GPK, I've booked ourselves sleeping accomodations. Due to the way things are priced, I was getting a headache as I was booking for four people and 2 roomettes - the roomette prices kept jumping up much higher than indicated. So I booked tickets and a roomette for two and it worked perfectly. Then I went back to book the other two and a second roomette; the price for the roomette had almost doubled. But for $40 more, I could get the family room, so that's what I did. We're in car 2730 (Portland sleeper); the roomette is #2 (upstairs) and the family room is downstairs. I would have booked the family room only, but my 14 year old is taller than I am, so I doubt he would fit on one of the child bunks in the family room. We're going to check it out on this trip. I'm thinking this is actually a good plan, because we'll be able to be in the same room during the day. (I'm going to sleep in the roomette with the younger son since the rooms are on different floors; if they were next to each other, I would have considered letting the boys be by themselves.)

For our return trip, though, the room cost is quite a bit more, so it will be coach, for now. I plan on checking to see if a room is available when we board.

The only bad thing about this trip is that I have to rent a car when we get there. I do save 4 days of driving, though, by taking the train. Plus, the train becomes part of our adventure.

Depending on how things go, I'm already thinking about booking the train from St. Paul to Washington, DC for March, 2012 during the boys' spring break. Connecting through Chicago, timing wise, works well, and you really don't need a car in DC with the Metro. It's too early to book travel to DC now, but it's high on my list.

I've been reading my way through these boards; very informative. I'm going to feel like a newbie pro when I get there.

Thanks everyone and have a great day.

Tom

:hi: Nice trip, hope the weather co-operates, it's getting to be a bad winter early this year up on the Hi Line, Im sure yall will be prepared for the cold! Id personally think that the 14 year old should be mature enough to sleep in roomette by himself, that saves anyone from having to sleep in the coffin like top bunk and allows you to stay with your wife and the 9 year old in the family room! Youll probably spend lots of time in the diner and Sightseer Lounge anyway, even the paraie has its beauty when seen from a passing train! :wub: Hope yall get an upgrade, this is a very popular train as you know, prices tend to go High Bucket early!

From STP to GPK, I've booked ourselves sleeping accomodations.
Welcome!
hi.gif

I certainly hope that you booked from MSP (Minneapolis/St Paul, MN) and not STP (which is St Petersburg, FL)!
ohmy.gif

The reason for the big increase in price for the roomettes is that someone who booked the room at a lower fare (or bucket) than the current bucket being charged. That room is offered at the bucket that it was originally booked at. (Meaning you checked at the right time!
biggrin.gif
) The very next room than reverts to the current bucket!
sad.gif

Just FYI, there will likely be zero chance of upgrading to a sleeper onboard during June on the EB. It's peak season.

here's a suggestion - call Amtrak, see if they can switch your Sleeper #2 to one of the Sleepers downstairs (#11 thru 14) (in the same car obviously)

that way you can have the kids close by. 11 thru 14 are right next to the Family room

http://www.trainweb....eeperplans.html

My wife and I took the train to the "East Glacier" station - the rental car place ended up being right across the street.

We drove the "Going to the Sun" road, since the East entrance to that road was close to the train station.

One of the Lakes that is inside Glacier National Park has a boat tour - lasts about 60 or 90 minutes, but it's an excellent tour of the Park.

The town of Whitefish is really close - got a mall, movie theater, ice-skating, bowling alley, indoor swimming pool ("The Wave").

From STP to GPK, I've booked ourselves sleeping accomodations.
Welcome!
hi.gif

I certainly hope that you booked from MSP (Minneapolis/St Paul, MN) and not STP (which is St Petersburg, FL)!
ohmy.gif

The reason for the big increase in price for the roomettes is that someone who booked the room at a lower fare (or bucket) than the current bucket being charged. That room is offered at the bucket that it was originally booked at. (Meaning you checked at the right time!
biggrin.gif
) The very next room than reverts to the current bucket!
sad.gif

Oops - yes, I did book from MSP. I already have my reservations completed for the WB trip.

here's a suggestion - call Amtrak, see if they can switch your Sleeper #2 to one of the Sleepers downstairs (#11 thru 14) (in the same car obviously)

that way you can have the kids close by. 11 thru 14 are right next to the Family room
Tried this (twice) - even though I'm trying to switch a room, they want me to pay the difference between the room rate I received and the current room rate.

We're looking forward to the trip - the 9 year old was excited about being able to take the train. (I am too, for that matter. If nothing else than to experience the sleeper car and not have to drive for four days).

Do you think two adults could sleep on the lower bunk of the family room? According to dimensions, it's about the size of a twin bed. I'm wondering if we should try and cram the four of us into the family room , cancel the roomette, and use the savings for a room on the way back.

What do you think?

Welcome!!!

In June I'll be taking Amtrak to West Glacier, I'll be the one hanging out of one of the Red Buses ,waving at you on the Going To The Sun Road!!!

Have Fun

Do you think two adults could sleep on the lower bunk of the family room? According to dimensions, it's about the size of a twin bed. I'm wondering if we should try and cram the four of us into the family room , cancel the roomette, and use the savings for a room on the way back.

What do you think?

My wife and i have had the Family room, and we had no problem sleeping on the bottom bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear CV - my advice is to keep checking the Amtrak reservation site whenever you feel like it for what you want - there's at least a 50/50 chance that the price will drop suddenly on any given day if/when someone cancels a reservation. There WILL be some of these and you want to be there when it happens - and click PURCHASE. It's not inconceivable that the price on the outbound trip could go down too if you want to keep checking those. If you haven't taken delivery of the tix, you can cancel for full refund and repurchase at lower price. I am presently doing this myself for a March trip from San Antonio to Los Angeles; I already have the return ticket at lowest bucket.

...We drove the "Going to the Sun" road, since the East entrance to that road was close to the train station....
It's very likely that road will still be closed due to snow in June. It usually doesn't open up until late June...sometimes even July....we've been there the past two summers.

My wife and I both slept lower beds in the family room. She was in the child's bed and curled over to the adult bed. We're not the smallest people either.

...We drove the "Going to the Sun" road, since the East entrance to that road was close to the train station....
It's very likely that road will still be closed due to snow in June. It usually doesn't open up until late June...sometimes even July....we've been there the past two summers.
The Red Bus tours are taking reservations starting June 17th. I realize that may or may not be possible but, I have my fingers crossed as I have a Red Bus Tour reservation on the 18th out of West Glacier (Village Inn at Apgar).

We have booked the family room for two adults and two 13 year old boys on our EB trip to Glacier in July. The bottom adult bed is the same size as the bed in the bedrooms that many people share with their spouses. So, I figured that my son and I can share that bed since he is the smaller of the 13 yr olds and we will avoid the tiny bed all together. We were lucky and we happened upon one of those "price drops" and went ahead and reserved it. I am very happy we did since feeding two 13 yr olds may get expensive and having meals included will be helpful.

Our return will be on the Zephyr and unfortunately it is still coach. I check Amtrak.com every day hoping to get one of those "price drops". If not, what are my chances of upgrading onboard at the end of July?

We have booked the family room for two adults and two 13 year old boys on our EB trip to Glacier in July. The bottom adult bed is the same size as the bed in the bedrooms that many people share with their spouses. So, I figured that my son and I can share that bed since he is the smaller of the 13 yr olds and we will avoid the tiny bed all together. We were lucky and we happened upon one of those "price drops" and went ahead and reserved it. I am very happy we did since feeding two 13 yr olds may get expensive and having meals included will be helpful.

Our return will be on the Zephyr and unfortunately it is still coach. I check Amtrak.com every day hoping to get one of those "price drops". If not, what are my chances of upgrading onboard at the end of July?
I would say Pretty Slim, but ya never know!

Have Fun

I managed a great score, today, and I have to share.

First: We've decided that my wife will sleep on the lower child bunk (she's the 3rd shortest in the house) and curl over to the adult bunk. So - I visited the Amtrak station today and canceled the roomette and put all four of us into the Family Room. The ticket agent commented on the great price for the Family Room ($247).

I've also been watching the fares for several days using the Fare Finder (I found it in the links section - awesome tool). Based on the fares I found yesterday (12/16), we decided to stay an extra 2 nights and depart on Sunday.

I was able to score the Family Room again for $247; last week it was over $750. And the rail fare is cheaper, too.

My train tickets are now complete. I doubt that the fares or rooms will go below what I paid for them. In total: $643 each way for 4 people in the Family Room between MSP (I got it right this time) and GPK.

Yahoo!!!!

:hi: Nice snag! Wish we could be so lucky down here in one train a day land, SoldOut/HigH Bucket seems to be the norm and that's from the step children LD trains the Eagles and Sunsets! Have a great trip, Happy holidays! :cool:

Well, dang it - now I can't find it. I thought I got it from here, but it is conceivable I found it elsewhere.

Here's the link: http://biketrain.netfirms.com/amsnag/amSnag.php

You enter starting and ending stations, a date of travel, and if your schedule is flexible, how many days to search. I had it search 7 days, which is how I saw the great fare deal 2 days later than my planned date.

Hope this helps,

You found it here CV over in the FAQS and First Timer's forum. It was written by one of our members! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back