First trip, new question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JBO

I have booked my first trip as mentioned in my earlier post. My question is this: How secure one's personal belongings left in the sleeper room while out of the room to dine, sightsee, etc. I don't mean secure like Fort Knox, but is it safe to leave items such as cameras, briefcase with tickets in it, etc?

Thank you,

JBO said:
I have booked my first trip as mentioned in my earlier post. My question is this: How secure one's personal belongings left in the sleeper room while out of the room to dine, sightsee, etc. I don't mean secure like Fort Knox, but is it safe to leave items such as cameras, briefcase with tickets in it, etc?Thank you,
Always take your current ticket stub with you. It is literally your meal ticket.

As for how secure your stuff will be. I haven't had any problem in either coach or sleeper. But, I think a good rule of thumb is to not leave stuff lying around. You can draw the shade and the door, usually/often times/might if you are lucky, latch so knowing that you have left the room is more difficult.

Your stuff should be fairly safe in the sleeper but I wouldn't leave things lying around when you leave your room. I always put everything away before leaving and I carry things like my digital camera with me. If you close your shades and door no one should know whether or not you are there. Just beware that some sleeper doors don't latch very well and the door might slide open with the motion of the train. But don't worry too much, a train is a pretty secure place.

It's mostly the Viewliners that have trouble staying closed, because their doors were not designed to do what Amtrak is having them do now. As for Superliner Sleepers, they stay closed, I left my door closed when I left while I was on the Sunset and City of New Orleans and it never opened. I would just close your blinds all the way and no one will be able to tell if you're in there ready to kill em with a baseball bat or if you are away from your room. :lol: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back