First trip on EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanavc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hubby & I will be traveling in June from Chicago to Portland on the EB. First time on this train, we will be in car 2730 rm. 011

Is that upstairs or down? Also will be taking Cascades up to Seattle, to catch a cruise to Alaska. we have an overnite in Seattle any reasonable hotels close to station? Thanks

Roomette #11 is downstairs. We had that room on the Coast Starlight last year.

Super-Sleeper.png

Super-Sleeper_down.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Room 11 is on the lower level. From Chicago to Spokane, car 2730 is on the very end of the EB. You must walk thru 2 coaches, the sightseer lounge and then 2 more coaches to get to the dining car. Between Spokane and Portland, the 4 cars from the sightseer back will go to Portland. The front half goes to Seattle.

On our trip the Dining Car was directly in front of the SSL, with Seattle-bound coaches and sleepers in front of the dining car. I never went beyond the Diner so I can't comment on what the order was after that.

Hope you planned any delays on the trip out. What time are you taking the Cascade from PDX to SEA? I would of gone right to SEA.

The cascades is same reservation, isn't that what they call a guaranteed connection? We arrive in PDX at 10:10 am then leave on Cascades at 3:40 arriving at Seattle at 6:30 pm. the day before our cruise. We don't get on ship till 11:00 am next day. I picked that one because the difference in cost . That's why I also asked about hotels. Did I not put enough time in between for possible delays?

This summer, BNSF will be in year two of a multi-year project to upgrade capacity on the route of the Empire Builder. Last summer, that work resulted in substantial delays. Last June, 10 out of 30 times the EB arrived Portland after the final northbound Cascades departure (5:05pm). Three more trains did not operate. That meant that 14 of 30 trains (almost half) misconnected at PDX to the point that travel to Seattle was delayed until the next day, at best.

A "guaranteed connection" means that Amtrak will get you to your destination, eventually. If you miss the last train of the day from PDX to SEA, you will be booked on a train the next day, plus you will get a hotel stay and a meal allowance. That's fine, except for you having to be at your ship in Seattle by 11am the next morning. The first train the next morning is scheduled into Seattle at 10:10am. That is cutting it pretty close.

Given the consequences of missing your cruise, and the possibility that a same-day Portland - Seattle connection could be missed, I would book the route with the lowest possible risk. That would be to take the Empire Builder directly to Seattle.

Thanks for the info , I'm so glad I have you folks with your knowledge to help. I will call and change our train in the morning, Thanks again :)

Got reservation changed to EB from Chi- Seattle, car 0731 rm. 7 . Same question is that up or

down. And now I need a reasonable hotel for 2 nights any suggestions?

And now I need a reasonable hotel for 2 nights any suggestions?
I'd recommend searching for a hotel on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ It's what I always use to search for lodging on any trip. Most decent hotels have lots of reviews and lots of pictures and they're listed in order of customer satisfaction. In addition, I always, always book directly with the front desk of the chosen hotel. Second party bookings are seldom less expensive and many hotels treat such bookings as "second class" transactions. I don't even use the (800)-numbers that get you the national central reservations center for the larger chains. Talk to somebody at the desk of the chosen hotel and get their name. Just my 2¢ worth.

...I always, always book directly with the front desk of the chosen hotel. Second party bookings are seldom less expensive and many hotels treat such bookings as "second class" transactions. I don't even use the (800)-numbers that get you the national central reservations center for the larger chains. Talk to somebody at the desk of the chosen hotel and get their name. Just my 2¢ worth.
About 5 years ago I looked into "reasonable" hotels in downtown Seattle; and the only option I found was the Moore Hotel. It was an old, big city hotel that had been renovated. I had no complaints. Currently, it seems to have very good reviews.

In general, I think niemi24's contention that prices offered by "second party" bookings are the same as by the hotel's website is true. But not always. Last summer I booked two rooms at a very nice hotel in Berlin via a web booking agent for around $60, a steal. We arrived about 7:00AM on an overnight train from Austria; and although the desk clerk did look a bit perplexed when he saw the rate, he was kind enough to let us into one of the rooms right away to freshen up and stow our gear before going out to sight see.

It always pays to compare.

...I always, always book directly with the front desk of the chosen hotel. Second party bookings are seldom less expensive and many hotels treat such bookings as "second class" transactions. I don't even use the (800)-numbers that get you the national central reservations center for the larger chains. Talk to somebody at the desk of the chosen hotel and get their name. Just my 2¢ worth.
About 5 years ago I looked into "reasonable" hotels in downtown Seattle; and the only option I found was the Moore Hotel. It was an old, big city hotel that had been renovated. I had no complaints. Currently, it seems to have very good reviews.

In general, I think niemi24's contention that prices offered by "second party" bookings are the same as by the hotel's website is true. But not always. Last summer I booked two rooms at a very nice hotel in Berlin via a web booking agent for around $60, a steal. We arrived about 7:00AM on an overnight train from Austria; and although the desk clerk did look a bit perplexed when he saw the rate, he was kind enough to let us into one of the rooms right away to freshen up and stow our gear before going out to sight see.

It always pays to compare.
The Moore has always been my hotel of choice while staying in Seattle. Like everything else they have risen in price but I have no complaints with them.

I am usually not a fan of Best Western, but on the strength of reviews, price, location for Amtrak and walking around, we decided to stay at the Best Western Pioneer Square on our 2011 Cross Country Round Trip. I still say this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at and I see that it is still getting great reviews on trip advisor. It is a boutique and historic hotel. Our room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The included Breakfast buffet was one of the better ones we have seen.

Customer service by the hotel staff was outstanding as they not only gave recommendations for walking tours, the ferries,and Pike street market; they also made arrangements for a van tour that came directly to the hotel to pick us up and return cab trip to the amtrak station.

There is a really nice boutique hotel located up on the hill by the Space Needle called The Inn @ Queen Anne! It's our favorite in Seattle!

It has a really nice courtyard, very helpful staff and is close enough to be able to walk the Space Needle/ Worlds Fair Site and ride the Mono- Rail to downtownn! Grocery stores etc are close by, as are cafes etc. Buses and Cabs are also available to go down the hill, or you can walk down to the water front! The hill is a little steep so returning take a bus or cab!

The rooms have kitchens and are small but we've always paid under $100 a might which for Seattle, especially in Summer, is a deal!

I have also stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square and found it to be very nice. About a 4-block walk (downhill) from the north entrance to the Amtrak station.

I've stayed at the Silver Cloud Hotel once. It was a pretty nice place, nothing special but no problems certainly that I encountered. It's maybe 5ish blocks from King St. Station as I recall. Seemed to be reasonably priced when I was there about 3 years ago.

I will second the Moore hotel - We did the Chicago to Seattle (then VC) and back again after our cruise. We decided to lay over in Seattle from VanCouver to Chicago -- stayed at the Moore Hotel. The Moore was the most reasonable "downtown" hotel we could find. We took a taxi from the station to the hotel.

Feel better that you changed your train.. We got into SEA 9 hours late last summer. Glad we moved our date a day earlier. We stayed at a very old hotel, I think it was Queens Inn.. I honestly wouldn't suggest that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back