First Trip on the Cascades - what a great train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC_NYC

Service Attendant
I'm normally a simple east coast Regional and Acela rider (typically PVD-NYP/PHL) but I found myself booking a last minute business trip to Seattle and needed to get to Portland afterwords for another meeting. Airfares yesterday where going for $500+ and many flights where sold out so I booked an $80 Business class ticket from Tukwila (which is 10 minutes from the airport and walking distance from my hotel) to Portland.

First off business class on this train should be the standard for all Amtrak trains, including the Acela. 2-1 seating.

BC on this train doesn't include free drinks, rather it includes a $3 voucher for the cafe car. At least this is better than a cafe attendant randomly deciding that today you only get 1 can of coke for the PVD-NYP trip. Speaking of the cafe, it was popular. They had 2 attendants working it (the train was close to sold out) and they had a solid 10 minute line. They had so many better meal choices than the Northeast Regional/Acela. I had the Chicken Teriyaki bowl and it was great. If they started serving these on the LSL and CL people would stop complaining about the lack of hot meals. As I said, 2 attendants, not a hidden assembly of 10 sous chefs working in the back of the car. The presence of 2 attendants actually made the line move along a lot faster and made me go up again for another drink. I probably wouldn't have if the line was taking forever (as it does on the trains in the northeast). I absolutely loved the seating in the lounge car, Amtrak should adapt these style seats in all lounges nationwide instead of the bench seating that makes it hard to get any personal space.

Finally, the equipment itself is showing its age and the bathrooms look like they haven't been refurbed in 20 years, but I think it is still a fantastic concept. I loved how small the cars where which lead to them riding much more smoothly and the cars themselves where a lot more quiet. The inclusion of a cell phone area in the vestibule of the coaches was very smart and helps lead to the quiet coaches.

I look forward to another ride on the Cascades one day and hopefully seeing this equipment on more trains in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard pretty consistently great things about the Cascades. The state supported services always seem to be consistently better than anything Amtrak offers by themselves.

Any Photos out there of Cascades BC seating?
28539814775_016f1ba449_b.jpg

Amtrak-Cascades-Biz-Class-6_5_12-7.jpg

The Cascades really are the best trains in the network. And I don't say that because I love the Northwest. And I live the addition of local PNW food to the cafe car. It makes it seam more like a hometown train than anything else. The staff is consistently friendly, and business class is great. It's in a league way above the Acela.

Let's hope Anderson doesn't ride one and then mess it up.

The Cascades really are the best trains in the network. And I don't say that because I love the Northwest. And I live the addition of local PNW food to the cafe car. It makes it seam more like a hometown train than anything else. The staff is consistently friendly, and business class is great. It's in a league way above the Acela.

I agree, I'm glad I booked it over the Coast Starlight

Never rode in one of them...or an Acela either, for that manner. They sure do appear narrow, as compared to Amfleet....are they about the size of VIA 'Ren' cars?

Never rode in one of them...or an Acela either, for that manner. They sure do appear narrow, as compared to Amfleet....are they about the size of VIA 'Ren' cars?
I don't think so for starters the RENs are full length cars. And the talgos are nowhere near that.
Looks like a Talgo Series 8 car is 43.1 feet long. That's cartoonishly short. Meanwhile the Renaissance cars are about 75 feet.

I have my whole Cascades album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/albums/72157653378317772/with/18026898336/

Couple of things that annoyed me about the Cascades.

1. The doors between cars open by sensor and are easily triggered and they sound like the doors on Star Trek with with a long and loud SWISH to open. The cars being so short, there is really no good place to sit and avoid the noise. It would have been better if they had put a button to open the doors.

2. The standing in line and having to get a seat assignment in Seattle.

What does Anderson have to do with messing up the Cascades? Its a State train.

What does Anderson have to do with messing up the Cascades? Its a State train.
Give him time he will find a way to "improve" upon it. I don't trust the man not to mess up anything he touches. But then again I get that opinion as he forced me and a lot of my colleagues out of our jobs.

I don't think so for starters the RENs are full length cars. And the talgos are nowhere near that.
Looks like a Talgo Series 8 car is 43.1 feet long. That's cartoonishly short. Meanwhile the Renaissance cars are about 75 feet.
That is short...but I was talking more about the width...they almost remind me of 'narrow gauge' cars...
default_smile.png

Looks like they need "Mind The Gap" warning signs, but under closer inspection from seat38a's album, it looks like they have some kind of bridge plate attached...

Which means even the rens aren't full length cars. 85 foot is the standard.
85’ is an American standard. Not an UIC one AFAIK.
In India, which generally follows UIC, there isn’t a single 85’ passenger car among the tens of thousands of them. They are all 65’ Schlieren derivatives or 75’ Alstom/LHB derivatives

That is short...but I was talking more about the width...they almost remind me of 'narrow gauge' cars...
default_smile.png

Looks like they need "Mind The Gap" warning signs, but under closer inspection from seat38a's album, it looks like they have some kind of bridge plate attached...
My bad. I don't know the width of the Renaissance cars, but the Talgo 8s are 9' 6" wide. Meanwhile, Amfleets are 10' 6" wide. So they are narrower, but not by that much.

In India, which generally follows UIC, there isn’t a single 85’ passenger car among the tens of thousands of them. They are all 65’ Schlieren derivatives or 75’ Alstom/LHB derivatives
While 85' is the American standard, some recent "ultra-domes" built for use on the Alaska RR, are 89' long.

While 85' is the American standard, some recent "ultra-domes" built for use on the Alaska RR, are 89' long.
Yeah, but the Alaska Railroad is completely separate from all rail in the contiguous United States. It's a completely different system.

Eighty-five feet didn't become the "standard" until sometime around WWII. There's a prewar (1939) parlor-diner-observation (Silver Hours) in our collection at the Galveston Railroad Museum which is 88' 7" over buffers.

Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day).

Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day.
I'll see you on 516 in a few weeks. Likely I'll take 500 from PDX-SEA. Spend the night in SEA before taking 516 to take the Canadian. I would love it if you would send the information on that gelato place you recommended in Vancouver.

Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day.
I'll see you on 516 in a few weeks. Likely I'll take 500 from PDX-SEA. Spend the night in SEA before taking 516 to take the Canadian. I would love it if you would send the information on that gelato place you recommended in Vancouver.
Your trip on 516 is on the 24th though, correct? Also, I'm jealous...the Canadian is definitely on my bucket list, but it's still out of our price range, and VIA doesn't cross honor any discounts to Amtrak, nor do we to them.
And the real good gelato place is D'oro Gelato, which has one location on Robson St, and another somewhere else in downtown. There's a place called Amato Gelato not even a 10 minute walk from the station that's good, in fact I treated my crew to a quart from there this evening, and even one of the pickiest eaters (wants local foods quality items) we have in Seattle loved it.

D'oro is still better though.

Back