First Trip on the Cascades - what a great train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day.
I'll see you on 516 in a few weeks. Likely I'll take 500 from PDX-SEA. Spend the night in SEA before taking 516 to take the Canadian. I would love it if you would send the information on that gelato place you recommended in Vancouver.
Your trip on 516 is on the 24th though, correct? Also, I'm jealous...the Canadian is definitely on my bucket list, but it's still out of our price range, and VIA doesn't cross honor any discounts to Amtrak, nor do we to them.
And the real good gelato place is D'oro Gelato, which has one location on Robson St, and another somewhere else in downtown. There's a place called Amato Gelato not even a 10 minute walk from the station that's good, in fact I treated my crew to a quart from there this evening, and even one of the pickiest eaters (wants local foods quality items) we have in Seattle loved it.

D'oro is still better though.
If you ever chose to travel on it sometimes I can get a good discount. I'm hopefully snagging a 75 percent off fare. That should be the date I'm taking it. I guess that isn't your day but I'm up there enough I'll hit it sometime.

Thank you for the recommendations I am definitely going to check it out. I like someone on a crew who buys snacks, or makes snacks for everyone. That's me on my crews most days.

Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day.
I'll see you on 516 in a few weeks. Likely I'll take 500 from PDX-SEA. Spend the night in SEA before taking 516 to take the Canadian. I would love it if you would send the information on that gelato place you recommended in Vancouver.
Your trip on 516 is on the 24th though, correct? Also, I'm jealous...the Canadian is definitely on my bucket list, but it's still out of our price range, and VIA doesn't cross honor any discounts to Amtrak, nor do we to them.
And the real good gelato place is D'oro Gelato, which has one location on Robson St, and another somewhere else in downtown. There's a place called Amato Gelato not even a 10 minute walk from the station that's good, in fact I treated my crew to a quart from there this evening, and even one of the pickiest eaters (wants local foods quality items) we have in Seattle loved it.

D'oro is still better though.
If you ever chose to travel on it sometimes I can get a good discount. I'm hopefully snagging a 75 percent off fare. That should be the date I'm taking it. I guess that isn't your day but I'm up there enough I'll hit it sometime.
Thank you for the recommendations I am definitely going to check it out. I like someone on a crew who buys snacks, or makes snacks for everyone. That's me on my crews most days.
Well for that I'd jump on it in a heartbeat, but of course my problem is having to bid on my vacations the year prior (bid in November 2018, be awarded December, for 2019), so can't do any last minute specials like they offer about a month out of quiet trips.
Send me a message and let give me more details whenever you have time, if you don't mind.

And I've always tried to keep my crews happy! Especially now as an assist I work with the same T&E crews and chiefs every week, and the same LSA every week or two depending on the train, so I figure we should all treat each other once in a while, right? Two weeks ago I brought some truffles from Purdys along.

I'll send you a message shortly. I'm the person who once made a full breakfast for a 90 man crew cinnamon rolls, bacon, and the rest of the works. Of course I got up at three am to do it. But it as so worth it. I love having a full diner kitchen to use. I'm like you I work with the same crew sometimes for multiple months. New River is two weeks, NCTM used to be right after it. VMT had me for five weeks once. I can imagine SEA is a small base that everyone's like a large family.

VIA doesn't cross honor any discounts to Amtrak, nor do we to them.
That is really a shame. In the airline industry, even otherwise fierce competitor's have very nice employee-rate reciprocity. And Amtrak and VIA work together, not compete.

IIRC, Amtrak employees do (or did), get a discount for Euro rail travel at least...
Go figure, we still give them discounts as well. I never understood not giving VIA anything, since as you said were closely partnered with them.

The Cascades really are the best trains in the network. And I don't say that because I love the Northwest. And I live the addition of local PNW food to the cafe car. It makes it seam more like a hometown train than anything else. The staff is consistently friendly, and business class is great. It's in a league way above the Acela.

Let's hope Anderson doesn't ride one and then mess it up.
He can’t mess them up, he’s only the contractor. Washington DOT calls the shots.

I don't want to sound like a party pooper, and I am very grateful for my state-supported trains. But the old Talgos are getting worn-out, and the new ones are not nearly as nice (there is less seat cushioning and the seats don't rotate so half face backwards). Yes, the Teriyaki rice bowl is good once or twice--but it is really the only hot full meal available, and even just riding the trains a few times a year I wish for something different.

Meanwhile, nearby there is a $19 million railroad overpass being built that highlights how much is spent on highways.

Just wanted to jump in and say that there is a second LSA only during the busy times of year, typically April through September, then we'll go back to normal. Two LSAs cover parts of 505/518/517/508 Thursday-Monday, and I cover as the second LSA on 516/519 Friday-Sunday in their entirety (and tomorrow morning on 516 because of it being sold out due to Canada day).
Nice, I was on the 517, really nice LSAs in the cafe and loved the seating both in the small booth in the cafe and in the table car.

I got to ride the Cascades (coach one way, BC the other) at the Gathering last year, and it was classy and lovely. Pretty décor, delicious café food, and wonderful crew. Being from the Northeast, like the OP, I too wasn't used to going up for a seat assignment, so that was the only confusing part (or would have been if one of my AU friends hadn't been there to get me in line as I was saying, "What are we all standing in line for? The train isn't here yet!"
default_tongue.png
)

Back