Florida Amtrak Residents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I'm trying to make the best out of this new AGR system. For me personally, I was forced to retire very early due to health issues & on an extremely limited budget, but love LD train travel!!! My home station is STP.

I've seen some possibilities that I MIGHT enjoy.(ex. R/T STP-CHI). I'm trying to find R/T trips that wouldn't require a hotel!!! Would prefer 2 nights each way.

Would appreciate ANY ideas!!!!!

Thanx

Have Fun

If you're going to Chicago and "paying" for the extra zone, maybe just go all the way to Denver? It adds an extra night on the Zephyr and if I remember right it's daily so you can get into Denver in the morning and turn around and head home that evening. IMO it's one of the best values in the "old" system.

Duh, I apparently skipped that first sentence, thought he was just looking for an overnightless last hurrah.

From Florida, while I haven't searched too much, I haven't seen anything that could be considered a deal. The only value I can really see involves trips where I'd actually prefer stopovers.

Your idea sounds good. I did a RT to CHI and loved it; just the right amount of train time, no hotels, and time to explore each city a bit. Of course, I didn't start in Florida. ATN-WAS-CHI-CVS-ATN. I got to ride the Cap Ltd and the Card along with the Crescent.

Good luck and enjoy! I have some more points I need to book before Jan., too, while they'll still buy something. *sigh*

Back