"Flyaway Bus" Service from LAX to Union Station-Anyone Used

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the cab refuse to take you because it is so short a distance to the Metro Plaza rather than safety concerns? I am just asking because that happened to me once in Chicago Union station. I couldn't get a cab from Union Station to Greyhound bus station because the distance is so short they wait for longer and better paying fares. I was afraid to walk the distance not so much because it looked scary-it was day time- but because I was alone with a suitcase (before wheeled luggage) and didn't know exactly where the Greyhound station was although it was the new one- only 8 or so blocks.
Because of the short distance. And in the middle of the night around Union Station IS scary. I don't care how well lit it is, when some youngish but crusty guy comes up and tries to "help" with my luggage, I have definitely exceeded my comfort zone.

On the current Amazing Race, the race started near Union Station. They HAD to use public transportation to get to LAX.

Some used the subway and some used the flyaway bus (which I knew to pick) and the bus riders easily beat the subway.

Course, I knew that cause of these forums.

I've tried both Philippe's and Cole's, along with Whooz as a judge. The biggest different between is Phillipe's dipped the sandwhich in au jus while Cole's don't. It provides a cup of au jus next to the sandwich.
Phillipe's is located few blocks from LAUS while Cole's is located in downtown area, about 2-3 blocks from Red Line station.

If Phillippees Dips & also has a side, They've got my vote!!!!!

RF :)

flyaway is a great service. i used it last spring. it's a bit confusing the first time because it's not run by the local transit agency, but by the airport... so ticketing and boarding areas weren't shared. regardless, downtown LA gets a bad rap... just stay away from skid row (google it) and you'll be fine.

Just adding my 2 cents: Rode the Flyaway Bus today from the Airport..waited about 15 minutes after I claimed my bag at Terminal 7, the last stop in the Airport. The courteous driver put my two bags under the bus and we made it pretty smoothly to Union Station in about 35 minutes, where I got off, purchased the ticket, and my bags were turned over to me. Fairly slick operation, I must say. I had flown United from Phoenix. Why did I not take the train from Maricopa? If that train ran daily, i might have, but this schedule did not suit my purposes. I will be taking Amtrak Saturday morning to San Diego, which will be a train as far as Irvine and then a bus the rest of the way to San Diego. I am travelling for cultural events - plays and classical concerts. Tuesday will fly SAN-LAX-PHX. But!!! I am loooking forward to my Flagstaff to Washington, DC roundtrip in April, with no damned security to fool with, although they did handle it pretty well today at Phoenix, but going through security at LAX Airport tends to suck.

Did the cab refuse to take you because it is so short a distance to the Metro Plaza rather than safety concerns? I am just asking because that happened to me once in Chicago Union station. I couldn't get a cab from Union Station to Greyhound bus station because the distance is so short they wait for longer and better paying fares. I was afraid to walk the distance not so much because it looked scary-it was day time- but because I was alone with a suitcase (before wheeled luggage) and didn't know exactly where the Greyhound station was although it was the new one- only 8 or so blocks.
Cabbies may not WANT, and even REFUSE to take you at some locations. However, I have found that if you jump in the back seat first, and cram your luggage in with you, you're in. And they can ***** all they want, but MOST city cab franchisees require them to take you, one block if that's all you are going. (that's one reason they have a minimum fare)

At a staffed cab stand at either an airport or major train station, if the cabbie "refuses" and you don't feel like going the confrontation route, (which I just love) seek out the staffer who is coordinating the cabs, tip them, and you'll be in a cab, OFTEN WITH A STERN WARNING FROM THIS PERSON TO THE CABBIE, in no time. (you should tip the guy anyway)

Helps if you are fluent in either Farsi, Paki, (Urdu?) Russian or some other language as, and some on here may not know this, many cab drivers are recent immigrants, and understanding English is often a struggle........ <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be taking Amtrak Saturday morning to San Diego, which will be a train as far as Irvine and then a bus the rest of the way to San Diego.
Why not all the way to San Diego?

I am travelling for cultural events - plays and classical concerts.
What events?

Aloha
When I reserved the train ticket online, the service alert says that Metrolink is doing track work on Saturdays until further notice. The train will operate as far as Irvine, for the first hour, then a bus. A little disappointed, yes, but I have ridden this line before by train.

Last night I saw a play " The Subject Was Roses " at the Mark Taper Forum and will go to see the movie atg the El Capitan Theater today, mainly to hear the Wurlitzer organ before the show. ( which I understand is the former San Francisco Fox instrument. ) What I came to LA for this time is to hear violinist Joshua Bell at Disney Hall tonight.; Tomorrow night in San Diego at Copley Hall I am going to the SD Symphony, featuring Debussy's " La Mer. "

Also, the FlyAway bus drove by the much discussed Metro Plaza Hotel. The website says it is in business, but it is apparently having much renovations done on it, as all the street side windows were out covered by plastic. I am staying, for the second time in a month, at the grand old Millenium Biltmore, for a good deal via Priceline. It is an easy two stops on the Red Line from Union Station and a walk of a few blocks to the concert halls.

Also, the FlyAway bus drove by the much discussed Metro Plaza Hotel. The website says it is in business, but it is apparently having much renovations done on it, as all the street side windows were out covered by plastic. I am staying, for the second time in a month, at the grand old Millenium Biltmore, for a good deal via Priceline. It is an easy two stops on the Red Line from Union Station and a walk of a few blocks to the concert halls.
I stayed at the Metro Plaza a week ago yesterday. If there was renovation going on, I sure missed it. The room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The noise level was non-existent, save for the early-morning bell chimes on the hour from the nearby Catholic Church. The breakfast was ample and free.

If you like the Millenium Biltmore, that's great. You can like it without running down another hotel without the facts.

Enjoy your trip.

I have to say this thread has taken some very interesting turns since I initiated it and the last couple of replies have reminded me of what I generally call "weasel words' when it comes to describing travel-related experiences and some of them are:

clean, dirty, near, far, within walking distance, rude, perfectly adequate, small, large, etc., etc.

What I have no doubt of is that everyone's opinion is important and that everyone is trying to help and I thank all of you...again!

I stayed at the Metro Plaza a week ago yesterday. If there was renovation going on, I sure missed it. The room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. The noise level was non-existent, save for the early-morning bell chimes on the hour from the nearby Catholic Church. The breakfast was ample and free.

If you like the Millenium Biltmore, that's great. You can like it without running down another hotel without the facts.

Enjoy your trip.
Not saying the Metro Plaza is a bad place, just that it looked like it was not in business with the windows all covered by plastic. it is quite close to the station and I think I will go over that way later today to check out Olvera St. and Little Tokyo.

Enjoy your trip.
Not saying the Metro Plaza is a bad place, just that it looked like it was not in business with the windows all covered by plastic. it is quite close to the station and I think I will go over that way later today to check out Olvera St. and Little Tokyo.
Actually it is China Town, Little Tokyo is more towards downtown by the Garmet District! The metro Plaza is in business, I got an e-mail from them offering specials since I have been there before! It is OK but definitely in need of a rehab, the people are nice and it sure is convient! Look forward to your update, thanks! ;)

Also, the FlyAway bus drove by the much discussed Metro Plaza Hotel. The website says it is in business, but it is apparently having much renovations done on it, as all the street side windows were out covered by plastic. I am staying, for the second time in a month, at the grand old Millennium Biltmore, for a good deal via Priceline. It is an easy two stops on the Red Line from Union Station and a walk of a few blocks to the concert halls.
I have only ridden the bus from airport to Union Station once and as I recall, we didn't go anywhere near the Metro Plaza hotel as we approached LAUS. As I look on the map program the place where the buses come in and the hotel are quite a distance apart.

What route does the bus take when it leaves the station that takes you past the hotel? Just curious. Thanks!!

Also, the FlyAway bus drove by the much discussed Metro Plaza Hotel. The website says it is in business, but it is apparently having much renovations done on it, as all the street side windows were out covered by plastic. I am staying, for the second time in a month, at the grand old Millennium Biltmore, for a good deal via Priceline. It is an easy two stops on the Red Line from Union Station and a walk of a few blocks to the concert halls.
I have only ridden the bus from airport to Union Station once and as I recall, we didn't go anywhere near the Metro Plaza hotel as we approached LAUS. As I look on the map program the place where the buses come in and the hotel are quite a distance apart.

What route does the bus take when it leaves the station that takes you past the hotel? Just curious. Thanks!!
We did come in from the airport and went right by that hotel, and then around the north side of Union Station to enter the Patsouras Bus Plaza. When I departed from there last month, the bus went out the south side and promptly went right onto a freeway.

We did come in from the airport and went right by that hotel, and then around the north side of Union Station to enter the Patsouras Bus Plaza. When I departed from there last month, the bus went out the south side and promptly went right onto a freeway.
Maybe something was going on the day we rode. We came in via some back alleys and I never saw Union Station until we got off the bus and walked the tunnel to reach the main waiting area. Strange.

Last night I saw a play " The Subject Was Roses " at the Mark Taper Forum and will go to see the movie atg the El Capitan Theater today, mainly to hear the Wurlitzer organ before the show. ( which I understand is the former San Francisco Fox instrument. ) What I came to LA for this time is to hear violinist Joshua Bell at Disney Hall tonight.; Tomorrow night in San Diego at Copley Hall I am going to the SD Symphony, featuring Debussy's " La Mer. "
Aloha

Am familiar with that instrument, played by the right person it is beautiful. Have not had the pleasure to hear the SD Symphony but know their reputation.

Enjoy

Eric

We arrive on the 8 a.m. train. Our daughter and friend arrive at ll:20 a.m. on Delta at LAX. If we used the flyway bus to meet them there, when should we leave the train station? Would like to explore a little around the area if things are open. Is that one house in the Mexican area open early?

We arrive on the 8 a.m. train. Our daughter and friend arrive at ll:20 a.m. on Delta at LAX. If we used the flyway bus to meet them there, when should we leave the train station? Would like to explore a little around the area if things are open. Is that one house in the Mexican area open early?
If you are arriving on a weekday, I'd get on the Flyway at 10:30 a.m. just to be safe in arriving at LAX in time to meet your party, because there is still a lot of freeway traffic at that hour and possible congestion (although the Flyway uses carpool/bus lanes for most of its trip once it gets past the Harbor Freeway/Santa Monica freeway interchange.

If you are coming in on a weekend, you could probably get by as late as the 11 a.m. Flyway bus, assuming your party knows you might be a few minutes late in meeting them at the Delta Terminal baggage claim.

All this assumes, of course, that the Delta flight is on time!

There's not much open on Olvera Street before 10 except for a few restaurants. But I would walk the street anyways just to get a feel for it. You can always get a terrific breakfast at Phillipe's, the restaurant just a block and a half farther down Alameda Street from Olvera. Almost anyone you ask can point you in the direction.

If you are on time into LA Union Station and have the chance to walk around and eat, you can check your luggage at Amtrak Baggage Claim for $3 a bag.

Thanks. We are looking at the Four Points by Sheraton LAX hotel. Free shuttle to LAX. Then we could take the $7 trip to Union Station. Says it is close to a bus station that you can take to Santa Barbara. How does this sound?

Thanks. We are looking at the Four Points by Sheraton LAX hotel. Free shuttle to LAX. Then we could take the $7 trip to Union Station. Says it is close to a bus station that you can take to Santa Barbara. How does this sound?
Santa BARBARA? That is 100 miles up the coast. Why do you want to go there? It is a very nice place, but a 2 hour ride each way. Aside from that the Four Points is perfectly fine airport hotel.

This being an Amtrak board, and you are traveling by train anyway, the Pacific Surfliner is a nice option to go to Santa Barbara, if that is where you want to go.

Did you perhaps mean Santa MONICA, as a bus to Santa Monica does board at Union Station. Takes over an hour to get to Santa Monica. Seems it cost around $1 and I thought it quite a value! There is no city transportation to Santa BARBARA. Either the Surfliner or the Coast Starlight to Santa Barbara. I'm spending a week in Santa Barbara in May, riding the SWC and the Surfliner.

Avila Adobe is the house you can tour and it is at 10 E. Olvera Street. Open the the public

Tuesday through Friday, 10 A.m. to 3 p.m. and weekends 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Did you perhaps mean Santa MONICA, as a bus to Santa Monica does board at Union Station. Takes over an hour to get to Santa Monica. Seems it cost around $1 and I thought it quite a value! There is no city transportation to Santa BARBARA. Either the Surfliner or the Coast Starlight to Santa Barbara. I'm spending a week in Santa Barbara in May, riding the SWC and the Surfliner.Avila Adobe is the house you can tour and it is at 10 E. Olvera Street. Open the the public

Tuesday through Friday, 10 A.m. to 3 p.m. and weekends 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Actually, the bus to Santa Monica is the Big Blue Bus Freeway Express. It takes the freeway and is less than an hour, and is as quick as driving. It leaves from the same bus terminal on Patsouras Plaza at Union Station as all the other buses. The fare is now $1.75 one way. It runs at least twice an hour, sometimes more during rush hours.

But if you are staying at the Sheraton Four Points near LAX, you want the hotel shuttle to take you to the LAX Bus Center where you can transfer to buses taking you north to Santa Monica, about 8 miles from LAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back