Flying, then catching a train . . .

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auxplage

Train Attendant
As some of you know, I am taking a train from Newport News to Reno for my first train trip.

On the way home, I honestly cannot afford to take a train all the way back, so I was looking for a least-cost option.

My plan was to fly into Chicago O'Hare at 2PM, and then catch the Capitol Limited at 7PM for Washington, D.C. (and obviously from there down to Newport News).

Is this a risky idea considering airlines having issues and what not?

I mean, I like the idea, but I also do not want to risk missing the train. Would you all do it?

If I did do it, what is the best way to get from O'Hare to the train station?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a flight I was on in the 1980s that I'm pretty sure got delayed more than 5 hours, going from Connecticut to Arizona, with a connection somewhere in between. I haven't flown in several years, but I also haven't really gotten the impression that the airlines have gotten any better.

Anyway, if you're going to do this, I think you need to know what your plan B is if you miss the connection.

I don't deal directly with flights into ORD (ORD=O'Hare), however, I can tell you a few things about the airport from my experience. For one, I've never been there. However, BTV (where I work) is served directly by ORD through United. Their flights are mostly on time, but O'Hare seems to have its share of problems. I know as a reputation, ORD is considered to be one of the two worst airports the nation, along with Atlanta. I've flown into Midway, which may or may not be a better bet. My flights were all on time. I actually connected from the Illinois Zephyr to Midway - you just pick up the "El" two or three blocks from the station and can take it right there. O'Hare has a similar transit connection.

The connection doesn't take more than forty minutes at the most, so I'd say it won't be a problem. Provided something like a mechanical issue doesn't happen, you should have plenty of time.

Whenever I'm planning a connection such as this, here's what I do:

1. Go to Flightaware.com and register (it's free). You normally don't need to register, but we want to look back deep into flight history, so registration is required.

2. On the left hand side, type in your airline's name and the flight number. Keep in mind you need the 'real' airline flying the plane: for instance, many carriers operate flights under a commuter carrier for smaller destinations. It should say this on the page you're booking the flight (such as "operated by Piedmont Airways"). That's what you have to put into the flighaware box.

3. Click "track commercial flight" and then scroll down to the bottom of the next page and click "more past flights"

4. You'll get a page like this one, which is our last flight into BTV, which until Thursday I worked 4 days/wk. Now you can go through and look to see how the flight does as far as its timeliness in general.

As some of you know, I am taking a train from Newport News to Reno for my first train trip.
On the way home, I honestly cannot afford to take a train all the way back, so I was looking for a least-cost option.

My plan was to fly into Chicago O'Hare at 2PM, and then catch the Capitol Limited at 7PM for Washington, D.C. (and obviously from there down to Newport News).

I mean, I like the idea, but I also do not want to risk missing the train. Would you all do it?

Thanks.
When will you be taking your trip? Chicago is a hit and miss location during the winter because of weather. During the spring, storms can cause slowdowns too. Perhaps you should consider doing the flying part of the trip FIRST, and go the day before. Then you could take the train from Reno to Chicago and get a guaranteed connection on the Capitol? At least that way, Amtrak is going to be responsible for getting you to your location. Just a thought.

Last year, I flew into Denver before catching the California Zephyr, and it worked without a hitch. I think the cushion was about 6 hours, and it was a long bus ride from the Denver Airport into town, but we arrived in with plenty of time to spare.

So as to the inquiry - Would you do it? I guess I would answer yes.

IIRC, the Capitol Limited to Regional connection s/b to NPN is only offered on one day a week (Sunday arrivals at DC), so keep that in mind in your planning.

What can't you afford, the money or the time? If the money, pick one segment and give up sleeper accomodations.

Last year, I flew into Denver before catching the California Zephyr, and it worked without a hitch. I think the cushion was about 6 hours, and it was a long bus ride from the Denver Airport into town, but we arrived in with plenty of time to spare.
So as to the inquiry - Would you do it? I guess I would answer yes.

IIRC, the Capitol Limited to Regional connection s/b to NPN is only offered on one day a week (Sunday arrivals at DC), so keep that in mind in your planning.
I am confused as to what you mean here. I am leaving from NPN to WAS on a Friday on a Regional on May 16th.

I would have a cushion of about 6 hours, so that should be plenty of time.

I am confused as to what you mean here. I am leaving from NPN to WAS on a Friday on a Regional on May 16th.

I would have a cushion of about 6 hours, so that should be plenty of time.
In all fairness, it was posted as IIRC. Apparently, it was not recalled correctly. There is a connection available southbound on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

And since it is a guaranteed connection, if for some reason you would miss it, Amtrak may even put you up overnight and send you out the next day.

I'm new to all the "options" but lets say your flight is late and you miss the Cap, can you re-book for the LSL to NYC? Then get down to NPN somehow? Also I hammer this and hammer this, if you are looking for cheap accomodations, you can always get a bunk at a hostel in CHI or DC. Cost about $30, beats paying $100 or more for a room and worrying about a flight being late and having to deal with all that stuff. Maybe book your flight to CHI for late in the day, then stay one night at the HI that is 5 minutes away from CUS via cab and then go out the next day. That will end alot of anxiety. Breakfast at the HI is free, you would have to deal with lunch and is dinner served on the Cap?

Al

I have to agree with rail rookie.

It's not the airline's job to get you to your connecting train on time, and Amtrak is not obligated to accommodate you if you don't make it in time. Chances are, it'll be fine; but what if it's not fine? Avoid the situation and the problem goes away.

Also I hammer this and hammer this, if you are looking for cheap accomodations, you can always get a bunk at a hostel in CHI or DC. Cost about $30, beats paying $100 or more for a room and worrying about a flight being late and having to deal with all that stuff.
One of my favorite places to stay in DC is the Hilltop Hostel, literally across the street from the Takoma Park station on the WMATA Red Line (about 10 minutes from WAS Union Station). Even private rooms are $60 per night--compared to mid-range hotels being $100+ on the weekends and $300-$400 on weekdays. The private room I stayed in once actually had a better mattress than the Old Town Alexandria Hilton...

Thanks.
I allowed a day in Chicago to avoid this situation, but then I was coming off an International flight and it was the start of my vacation. Had the flight been cancelled on me (like they did on the way home!) I would probably have have a bit of a problem, and the last thing I wanted at the start of my vacation was to be stuck in a strange country with a ticket for a train that's gone already and nowhere to stay.

As it happened, I could've made the Capitol with hours to spare, but it was a bit too much of a risk for me at the time.

Taking the Lake Shore rather than Capitol is one option, but by booking a few hours before departure, you may find all the rooms are sold, or are at top dollar prices, so you may be stuck with coach.

If you do decide to try it, you can get from O'Hare to Union Station by taking the CTA Blue Line to Clinton, then walk the couple of blocks from there to the station. IIRC it takes about an hour, but if you're travelling at the weekends, I'd check for engieering works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back