Food near LA's station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That website was all I needed; we're heading to Phillipe's. The kids are already choosing their shirts. :D

Am I being optimistic to consder having breakfast in-house, or would I be safer time-wise to get it to go? I'm thinking I will definately get some dips to go... I'll pack plastic bags and lots of napkins to keep them in until lunch!

We're doing the ala carte thing on the train... no dining on the CS this trip. Somehow, I think Phillipe's will make up for some of that.

Well if you got that sleeper on the Coast Starlight, then your meals are included.

If not, packing Philippe's for lunch is an excellant idea. Note: Not all lunch items are served during breakfast hours, although the beef sandwhiches are along with one other IIRC.

As for breakfast to go vs. in-house, I'd play that by ear. After all you could be early into LA, on time into LA, or even a late. See what happens first with your arrival, then time your walk to Philippe's, see what the lines are like, and then make your decision.

If your train arrives late, be careful if you walk to the Metro Plaza. We got in about midnite and were harrassed, by some street punks all the way.

We will be coming into LA a 8:40AM (or so) and CS is scheduled to leave at 10:15. Do I have time to find someplace to eat that would get me back without being terrified we will miss the train? Never been to LA's train station, but if I tried something like that from an airport I know it would be ridiculously impossible. I keep reading about a favorite sandwich stop, but I'm thinking they probably wouldn't be going at 9AM?
Phillipe's gets might vote too. I was a frequent patron at this establishment back in the 70's when I worked at the nearby Los Angeles Produce Market. I am still a patron when visiting my daughter who lives in nearby Anaheim. It is a must eat place. As The Traveler says it is cash only. Occasionally there will be panhandler or two outside either of the two entrances.
I will surely hit Phillippe's when I get to LA. Guess it's even closer to the Metro Plaza Hotel where i'm staying. BTW I will be coming in on the CS from SAC which gets in at 9 PM or so. Can I check most of my baggage at US? Also would it be safe to walk to the hotel at that time of night or would a taxi be in order?
The streets will be crowded at that time -- you will be absolutely fine walking to Metro Plaza.

PM

We will be coming into LA a 8:40AM (or so) and CS is scheduled to leave at 10:15. Do I have time to find someplace to eat that would get me back without being terrified we will miss the train? Never been to LA's train station, but if I tried something like that from an airport I know it would be ridiculously impossible. I keep reading about a favorite sandwich stop, but I'm thinking they probably wouldn't be going at 9AM?
Phillipe's gets might vote too. I was a frequent patron at this establishment back in the 70's when I worked at the nearby Los Angeles Produce Market. I am still a patron when visiting my daughter who lives in nearby Anaheim. It is a must eat place. As The Traveler says it is cash only. Occasionally there will be panhandler or two outside either of the two entrances.
I will surely hit Phillippe's when I get to LA. Guess it's even closer to the Metro Plaza Hotel where i'm staying. BTW I will be coming in on the CS from SAC which gets in at 9 PM or so. Can I check most of my baggage at US? Also would it be safe to walk to the hotel at that time of night or would a taxi be in order?
9PM there may be a big crowd, but at midnite, not so much

Grab some taquitos from Cielito Lindo on the corner of Olvera St. on your way back from Phillipes.

That website was all I needed; we're heading to Phillipe's. The kids are already choosing their shirts. :D
Am I being optimistic to consder having breakfast in-house, or would I be safer time-wise to get it to go? I'm thinking I will definately get some dips to go... I'll pack plastic bags and lots of napkins to keep them in until lunch!

We're doing the ala carte thing on the train... no dining on the CS this trip. Somehow, I think Phillipe's will make up for some of that.
Does ala carte mean bring your own food or buying food individually from the lounge car? If it is the first then disregard this comment...

The lounge car is usually more expensive for a "meal" then the dining car (except at dinner time). Take this example...

Lunch in the Lounge:

Cheeseburger - $5.50

Chips - $1.75

Iced Tea - $2.25

Total = $9.50

The exact same menu in the diner is $7.75 (lunch includes iced or hot tea, water, coffee, or milk. Soft drinks would cost $1.75 extra vs. $2 in the lounge)

In addition to being served by a waiter/waitress you also get a better prepared burger (the burger itself is heated in a convection oven, served on fresh bread vs. the entire frozen packaged burger being thrown in the microwave as in the lounge) along with extra condiments such as lettuce, tomato, and pickel (in the lounge, only mustard, ketchup and mayo are usually available). Chips come with the sandwich.

Just some food for thought (pun very much intended!)

I don't know about the other person but we are coming in at eight in the morning. Still crowded?

I don't know about the other person but we are coming in at eight in the morning. Still crowded?
If you're referring to LA Union station. Yes, it'll be crowd with commuters to/from subway, Gold Line, SWC passengers, Metrolink commuter trains, Pacific Surfliners, and for those who wait for Coast Starlight and Pacific Surfliners. Those are during weekdays. However, they're in fluidity. It should be no problem. Most of them are coming from track platforms to the subway in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back