Food Service on Clockers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet Fan

Service Attendant
I usually pull into my office parking lot by 8AM every morning. (which is next to the NEC in Newark, NJ) Most mornings I happen to time it perfectly to see the northbound Clocker. This train usually consists of anywhere from 10 to 12 Amfleet I coaches pulled by an ALP-46.

However, over the past week or so this train now has one Amfleet I Food Service Car and this morning also had two Amfleet II Coaches in it's consist.

What could Amtrak's Equipment Utilization Group be thinking to actually include Amfleet II's as part of the Clockers? Food Service I can comprehend, but Amfleet II? Those cars could be used in a much more efficient manner and on much better trains.

Thoughts, ideas?

Anyone?

It's amazing how some questions asked repeatedly get answered on this board and others get ignored.

Amfleet Fan said:
Anyone?
It's amazing how some questions asked repeatedly get answered on this board and others get ignored.
Sorry :( , so much to do, so little time to do it.

Hard to say what was going thru their minds. However it's certainly possible that the cars where down at Bear being fixed. They would have then been shuttled to Philly's coach yard. So it could be that some quick thinking yard master just decided to press them into service on a Clocker as a way of returning them to the Sunnyside pool.

Of course using Amfleet II's in commuter service does pose a problem as the doors are not automatic. ;)

It's probably just as Alan described. Since Philly is not a hub for Long Distance trains (consist building wise) Bear probably had cars that needed to go out, and Wilmington probably had power to go out. The solution, have your Wilmington yard crew run a small train of engines and cars to Philly, and return with the B/O's. Since Philly isn't a car teminal deadhead them on a train going to Sunnyside that begins at your terminal, solution Clocker.

battalion51 said:
It's probably just as Alan described. Since Philly is not a hub for Long Distance trains (consist building wise) Bear probably had cars that needed to go out, and Wilmington probably had power to go out. The solution, have your Wilmington yard crew run a small train of engines and cars to Philly, and return with the B/O's. Since Philly isn't a car teminal deadhead them on a train going to Sunnyside that begins at your terminal, solution Clocker.
So you're saying these cars could be deadhead cars in the consist? That sounds logical.

However, the Amfleet II coaches and Food Service Car were in towards the middle of the consist. And, the consist was it's usual length. I'll have to bring my digital cam to work and get some pictures.

Regardless, thanks for the possible explanations. It's always interesting to try and figure out why they would use cars on the clocker that could be much more efficient and sorely needed on LD routes.

Thanks again

Amfleet Fan said:
So you're saying these cars could be deadhead cars in the consist? That sounds logical.
However, the Amfleet II coaches and Food Service Car were in towards the middle of the consist. And, the consist was it's usual length. I'll have to bring my digital cam to work and get some pictures.
They might have been deadheading, it's equally likely that the cars were pressed into service during that particular run. If you're short cars, you'll use anything.

With the cold weather I'm sure that Amtrak's having trouble keeping Amfleets in service.

Amfleet Food Service cars are sometimes used just for passenger seating with the Cafe not in service. I have seen videos and photos of Clockers and other Northeast trains with more than one food service car in the consist even though they may not be operating as Cafes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back