Former transition car customers - did you like sleeping in this car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the transdorm a few times. The plus side is it's quieter in terms of people-noise, and the bathrooms seem to be nicer. The minus side is, depending on the attendant in the other car (or if the arrangement is "one sleeper at the tail end, transdorm right behind the engine"), you MAY have less attention from the attendant.

Once I was in the transdorm on the TE when they were running the "regular" sleeper at the back. They had one crew person for both the transdorm and the sleeper - she hustled back and forth between them but it was fine, she got everything done and gave us enough attention. I felt bad for her having to run from one end of the train to the other and I tipped accordingly....

Oh no the prices were different for the transdorm when I booked versus the non transdorm. That is why I took it. I saw it online too so the agent wasn't telling me anything different.
I think the difference in price was between 21 & 421, not between type of car.
More than likely it's just because the price went up.

Anyone with more knowledge can correct me, but I've found that - on the days they run together - the sleepers on 21/22 are always more expensive than 421/422.

A quick trip to AmSnag can give you more price info for specific dates.
Still, it's more likely based on either the train # (21 vs 421) or the normal rise & fall of prices due to supply & demand. Not on the fact that it's a transdrom or not. She seems to think the price difference is because one is the transdrom.
True, otherwise, you'd have the option of choosing 2 levels of accommodations.

The transdorm's four roomettes are a seperate bucket system when the 421/422 through sleeper is running.

I could have said the wrong pricing. Yes the transdorm was cheaper on that day but I didn't know it was a transdorm. I just took the cheaper price. My husband thinks we should just stay with it as it is. It is only one night:) Still interested in feedback though. We have until Sunday to change our mind. I did book two separate reservations for our round trip. Going south from Bloomington I am in a regular sleeper.

Sounds like the transdorms are then only a car apart? That shouldn't make much difference in horn noise then.

Cross Country Cafe, it is the crappy half diner used on the Texas Eagle and the City of New Orleans. Everytime I have ridden the TE the full sleeper has been on the back, but it sounds like they move it to the front during the winter.

Cross Country Cafe, it is the crappy half diner used on the Texas Eagle and the City of New Orleans. Everytime I have ridden the TE the full sleeper has been on the back, but it sounds like they move it to the front during the winter.
Maybe I just ain't one of them thar fancy folk but....

in my limited experience of only 16 LD train trips with 2 or more dining experiences on each, outside of a bit more seating, I haven't been able to figure out what the big deal is between a full fledged diner or a CCC.

Yes, part of the CCC isn't used but the food is the same as is the service, jmo.

Remember, the Diner-lounges/Cross Country Cafes were converted from full diners. They retained all the regular diner's galley capability downstairs, so can serve a complete menu just like any other diner. They are not like the Amfleet cafes/dinettes in that sense.

The difference between the Diner-Lounges and the regular Diners is the layout upstairs, with the addition of the little lounge space at one of the car, and the reconfiguration of tables in the rest. A lot of us have issues with the way they did that, but it has nothing to do with the food preparation capabilities that are available in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could have said the wrong pricing. Yes the transdorm was cheaper on that day but I didn't know it was a transdorm. I just took the cheaper price. My husband thinks we should just stay with it as it is. It is only one night:) Still interested in feedback though. We have until Sunday to change our mind. I did book two separate reservations for our round trip. Going south from Bloomington I am in a regular sleeper.
Sounds like the transdorms are then only a car apart? That shouldn't make much difference in horn noise then.
Your husband is right - stick with the transdorm, check it out for yourself, and just relax. The differences are minor in the grand scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back