Former transition car customers - did you like sleeping in this car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We tentatively have a room (19) in the Texas Eagle coming back from San Antonio to Bloomington, IL Last night it was cheaper than the other rooms. So if you have been in these rooms, what did you think? Also, was told it is behind the engine. Noisy, etc.? Any feedback?

We tentatively have a room (19) in the Texas Eagle coming back from San Antonio to Bloomington, IL Last night it was cheaper than the other rooms. So if you have been in these rooms, what did you think? Also, was told it is behind the engine. Noisy, etc.? Any feedback?
While I Haven't ridden in a TS, i would suspect that I would be nicer. First you would hear the horn more often, by most people are fine with that. Since there less customers in the TS it means less foot traffic.And no family bedroom, so less likely of a chance for little kids to be present.

No! Those cars are horrible, there's no attendant, and you are basically ignored in your room and have to walk to the next car over to get assistance.

Noise is not an issue though, but these are always on the end, and depending how the car is set up, it can be quite the walk to where you need to get to. The shower is also a lot more cramped than the standard sleeper cars.

I have ridden in the transition sleeper on the Texas Eagle many times. The roomettes are exactly the same as is a regular sleeping car. Yes, you can hear the whislte more, but I don't mind that. Engine/track noise - about the same as anywhere else on the train.

A Sleeping Car Attendant will greet you, and will make up your beds for you. I don't recall there being a coffee pot, but since I don't drink it, that was not a problem. Coffee is available in the regular sleeper, which is just one car away. I found the showers to be larger and nicer than the one in the regular sleeper. It's true, you don't see your attendant much, but, really, what do you need him for?

If it's available for a lower price, by all means, take it!

I've stayed in transition car once from LAX to ABQ on SWC and it's fine with mee. It has fewer foot traffic. If you're a seasoned traveler in sleeper section, it shouldn't be a noticeable difference. For a first time sleeper, it would be a major disadvantage to them.

I totally forgot about that damn horn. Now I remember, you can hear that thing clear as day and not being able to sleep wondering "why is the engineer blowing that horn so much?" Not realizing that until now...but I'm extrermely light sleeper also.

I rode in the transdorm on the CONO. The attendant was nowhere to be seen. Service much worse than regular revenue sleepers. Thumbs down.
Hell the CZ #5 I just took last week there was no attendant to be found in the regular sleepers!

On another note, I remember this room on the CS #11/14. I was told which post to stand at and wait for my car to open (1132 for example,) when the train got there I waited and waited and no one was there to open the damn door. The engineer blew the horn and I dropped my bags and ran to the next car over telling them to stay put. The attendant on the next car over said, "Oh, yea, I'll be taking care of that car as well but since there's only one of me I can't open this door and that one." This really got my attitude going. It didn't help either that the attendant was a snobby old drag queen with caked on make up. Talking to me as if I should have known to board on, technically, the incorrect car.

Wow, never knew I had all these bad repressed memories of riding, they just keep being brought up to the surface.

Best nights sleep I ever had on a train, The Cap Limited. Rooms were the same, had turn down service, no foot traffic and loved the whistle. If it is cheaper, grab it before its too late!

I've never ridden it either, but I've been closely following posts here because I want to take the CZ and CS later. I didn't keep a tally; I just remember that I made a mental note to "avoid the transdorm." Apparently, I've read more negative than positive posts about it. Take that only FWIW!

Gingee, if you want to switch rooms, it shouldn't be a price difference. Just call up 1800 USA RAIL and ask to switch rooms. If they say that there will be an additional cost, hang up and try again.

there was an extensive thread about this just last week. I can't remember what it was called, though.

Yes, as amamba said and according to many, many other posts in this forum, you may not get an agent who knows how to change just the room assignment. Apparently some will cancel your reservation and book a new room, which may raise the price, and there could even be no availability. Be sure to tell them you only want the room assignment changed and not to redo the whole thing. Some agents will and some won't (according to the forum), so you might have to make multiple calls. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Also remember that negative comments about anything are more likely to show up on forums, reviews, etc than "so-so" and positive comments.

I personally would not care if I were in transdorm or not. I've only traveled once via LD trains (CL-CZ). I would say my trip was "so-so". Nothing to complain about, nothing to praise about (except maybe our waitress on the CZ who remembered that my daughter and I liked milk with our meals and the fact that she was able to carry two glasses of milk in one hand and not spill them).

In simple terms most of what's in this thread is more or less correct. Your room will be louder due to the distance from the horn and the service often suffers due to how Amtrak chooses to staff the transition sleepers as part of a multiple car assignment. That being said, I've had decent experiences on the trans-dorm myself. It's not exactly desirable but it's not all that horrible either. There are pluses and minuses, just like choosing upper or lower berths.

Also remember that negative comments about anything are more likely to show up on forums, reviews, etc than "so-so" and positive comments. I personally would not care if I were in transdorm or not. I've only traveled once via LD trains (CL-CZ). I would say my trip was "so-so". Nothing to complain about, nothing to praise about (except maybe our waitress on the CZ who remembered that my daughter and I liked milk with our meals and the fact that she was able to carry two glasses of milk in one hand and not spill them).
Anyone who has actually ridden on a transition sleeper is free to explain why they prefer it or why they see no reason to avoid it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My one and only experience in the transdorm (on the Capitol Limited) was far good. The SCA did not greet my wife and I upon checkin at our station stop (Harpers Ferry). After 15 minutes of waiting in the room I walked down to the dining car to make our own dinner reservations. It was later than we wanted. It is fair to say an on the ball SCA would have made it for us and surely it would have been earlier than what I got. When the SCA surprisingly wandered to our room (two hours later) he introduced himself for the purpose of preparing the beds for sleeping. He returned the following morning while we were at breakfast to make the beds up. We did see him one more time near arrival in Chicago for his well deserving tip.

In addition to the poor customer service, the upstairs bathroom was not furnished with the essential paper products. I located the necessary products downstairs in a open supply cabinet. We were the only revenue passengers in the car until Cleveland when a loud couple got on and abruptly woke us up. To the OP...Did I like sleeping (or staying) in this car? The answer is NO. Hope you have better luck.

I rode the transdorm on the CONO from Chicago - Memphis 4-5 years ago. The car seemed to be in better condition than some other superliner sleepers I've ridden in. There is more horn noise but I slept decently.

Wasn't on during enough 'waking hours' to say whether or not the SCA was invisible BUT I've done enough sleeping car trips that I'm comfortable converting the car from night to day use myself if need be.

Bottom line - If I were saving a significant amount of money booking in the transdorm, I wouldn't hesitate....... but others may not be comfortable with that.

I too can get along pretty well without a SCA, as long as they keep the coffee pot going, beds aren't that big of a deal to us and I am used to the hit and miss of getting a good SCA. I have been in the Transdorm twice and really liked it. I like to hear the horn blowing. I really like the bigger shower, and less foot traffic in that car. Once we had a great attendant who kept our Transdorm car fully stocked with ice juice and coffee in room #1, the other time we had to go to the next car for it. I would say go fo for it, especially at a lower price, then you will know for future travel wether to book it or pass. Good luck

I have done this last May on SWC And Texas Eagle in Nov. and both times were great-quiet and friendly crew. You do need to know how to put down beds for the best experience. If you are a newbie or one who needs a lot of attention this is not for you.

We aren't newbies to train sleepers. We have gotten attendants once in a while that didn't come back to do our bed. My husband did it. The difference is only $58 total. Going to our destination this car isn't even a option but it was cheaper. I will have to check with the Amtrak site to see what it is now. I do remember hearing the horn when in other sleepers. My husband didn't. We are taking a viewliner this summer so that will be a different experience in sleepers also. I would still like to hear more feedback. Thanks

I was in the transdorm on a western train (but golly, I can't remember which one) a few years ago. The biggest benefit was the big difference in foot traffic. It was beautifully quiet and relaxing. However, I did not see the attendant very often and the bathrooms were NOT kept clean. It was downright gross and I took to wandering to other cars to use the facilities. The SCA simply did not want to deal with it.

I think with any trip you're rolling the dice in terms of what kind of service you'll get, so consider what is most important to you and go from there. It's a decent, comfortable room. You may or may not get the same level of service as in another car, so if that is important to you, take that into consideration. And above all else, have fun!

Okay I checked the prices to rebook this whole trip and it would cost $88 more dollars. It's like it has gone up each day since Sunday. What's the deal? This is a long time away.

I have a question, just out of curiosity. Is the transdorm roomette cheaper because it's in the transdorm, or did she just get it at a lower bucket price? Just wondering...

I have a question, just out of curiosity. Is the transdorm roomette cheaper because it's in the transdorm, or did she just get it at a lower bucket price? Just wondering...
The last time I was in a transition sleeper roomette it cost me nearly $600 one way simply because it was the last roomette available a couple hours before departure. The fact that it was in the transition sleeper made no difference to the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back