Four Plans For the Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Plans For the Sunset Limited

• Plan 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plan 2

• Plan 3

• Plan 4

• None of the above

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
As posted by Gene Poon, a reliable source of Amtrak information, on another passenger rail discussion board. So out of the four plans, which do you like the best?

At Amtrak, the "Coach-Only Junker" plan for the Sunset Limited is now apparently dead, and a flat "No Connections" proposal has been superceded by the following four plans to restructure the Sunset Limited:=====================================================

Plan 1. Train 2 would depart LAX Su/Tu/Fr. Train 1 would depart ORL

Tu/Th/Sa. Schedule times would remain the same.

Texas Eagle through cars maintained as at present westbound, with days

of operation changed to meet new triweekly schedule. Through cars

eastbound will physically operate with a day's layover in San Antonio

but can not be occupied between trains in San Antonio, and space will

not be sold to passengers as through cars; passengers will either have

to book the itinerary with a stopover in SAS, or by a bus connection, El

Paso-Ft. Worth.

Consist would remain as at present.

----------------------------------------------

Plan 2. Train 2 would depart LAX Su/Tu/Fr. Train 2 would operate on

same schedule as at present Los Angeles-New Orleans, terminate there. A

New Orleans-Orlando train would run next day, operating 4 1/2 hours

earlier than the current times. No occupancy of cars in New Orleans

Train 1 would depart Orlando Mo/We/Fr, operating same as at present.

No through Cars to/from Texas Eagle. Change of trains required

westbound, bus connection El Paso-Ft. Worth required eastbound.

Consist between LAX and NOL: 2 Coaches, 1 Sleeping Car, 1 transition

sleeper with 10 revenue Standard Bedrooms, Diner/Lounge with light meal

service.

Misc: One Sleeping Car would be released to the SW Chief.

---------------------------------------------------------

Plan 3. Train 2 would depart LAX Su/Tu/Fr. Train 2 would depart LAX 3

hours earlier, at 730pm. Arrival times will be 3 hours earlier at San

Antonio and New Orleans. Departure from New Orleans would remain at the

present time, gaining three hours layover time in NOL. Westbound

schedule would remain as at present.

Train 1 would depart Orlando Tu/Th/Sa, operating same schedule as at

present.

Texas Eagle through cars maintained in both directions.

Connections from southbound Coast Starlight to eastbound Sunset at Los

Angeles would be broken, though through trips off Trains 1/2, to/from

north of Sacramento/Martinez/Emeryville could be maintained using the

San Joaquins. Connections from westbound Sunset to northbound Coast

Starlight maintained.

Consist between LAX and NOL: 2 Coaches, 1 Sleeping Car, 1 transition

sleeper with 10 revenue Standard Bedrooms, Diner/Lounge with light meal service.

--------------------------------------------------------

Plan 4. Train 2 would depart LAX Su/Tu/Fr. Train 2 would depart LAX 3

hours earlier at 730pm. Arrival times will be 3 hours earlier at San

Antonio and New Orleans. Train would terminate at New Orleans. A New

Orleans-Orlando train would run next day, scheduled 4 1/2 hours earlier

than at present. No occupancy of cars in New Orleans.

Train 1 would depart Orlando Mo/We/Fr, operating same schedule as at

present.

Texas Eagle through cars maintained in both directions.

Connections from southbound Coast Starlight to eastbound Sunset at Los

Angeles would be broken, though through trips off Trains 1/2, to/from

north of Sacramento/Martinez/Emeryville could be maintained using the

San Joaquins. Connections from westbound Sunset to northbound Coast

Starlight maintained.

Consist: 2 Coaches, no Sleeping Car, Transition Sleeper with 10 revenue

Standard Bedrooms. In wording that sounds like someone wants to run off

the business: "Sleeper demand must be constrained."

Misc.: TWO Sleeping Cars would be transferred from the Sunset Limited to

the Southwest Chief.

A: run through the equipment three days a week with LA OBS crews and then the other four days a week run a different but equal set of equipment with NOL based crews, or B: run the Sunset only to NOL and then create a completely seperate train east of NOL with its own equipment and NOL based crews.

Or even run the CONOL through NOL to ORL. Then run a seperate, no frills, train thrice weekly from NOL to LAX. The LAX-NOL train could have maybe two coaches, lounge, and sleeper-dorm.

I'd run it to ORL to keep the train going to Sanford for maintnance. I'd try to set up a connection with 97 though.

However, if you run the CONOL to ORL/SFD then you're getting more equipment from the Chicago pool down to SFD for maintenance. Remember the CONOL shares with the Texas Eagle, so that's 6-7 trainsets going to SFD comapred with the 4 (I believe) now.

I would split Sunset Limited into two routes with New Orleans as a divide point. I agree with Batt1.

For cars heading to SFD for repairs/maintenance, you could swap "worn-out" LAX-NOL cars with "fresh" NOL-ORL cars, if the schedule works out.

Well Im not sure of the ideals behind scheduling possibilities on that route, but I do watch the Trainorders fourms and I see constantly how downright pathetic the Sunset Limited is, many times it is outright canceled. There was one train that was 34 hours late !! Im suprised anyone is even on the Sunset anymore. It sounds like the UP's Sunset Route is a parking lot.

P40Power said:
Well Im not sure of the ideals behind scheduling possibilities on that route, but I do watch the Trainorders fourms and I see constantly how downright pathetic the Sunset Limited is, many times it is outright canceled. There was one train that was 34 hours late !! Im suprised anyone is even on the Sunset anymore. It sounds like the UP's Sunset Route is a parking lot.
P002-15 is now baisiclly a deadhead move back to Sanford, running about 1 1/2 days late. I believe the few passengers on the train from LAX points east were bussed from El Paso to their final destinaiton.

It seems to me that given the current disastrous system conditions on that route, any of the given choices amount to trying to decide what color to repaint a house, while ignoring the fact that the house is in the process of burning down.

battalion51 said:
A: run through the equipment three days a week with LA OBS crews and then the other four days a week run a different but equal set of equipment with NOL based crews, or B: run the Sunset only to NOL and then create a completely seperate train east of NOL with its own equipment and NOL based crews.
I agree with most, but I would rather see the jobs, or as many of them as possible kept here in Florida. With the possible loss of the "Palmetto" bug, this would possibly help keep jobs here despite that scenario. LAX won't suffer any losses being they would still continue staffing the "Sunset" to NOL. So anyway, this sounds like a good plan, but jobs should stay here in Florida (MIA & JAX current crewbases for OBS and T&E)! We won't mention in detail of other jobs such as mechanical, etc. But I hope this is at least worth a read!

And BTW bat51, that scenario (your plan) or something similar is currently being talked about, and seems to me, that most likely will be the case. There are a lot of deatils to iron out of course! B)

Seems kind of odd in 2 of the plans that the eastbound train will be terminated in New Orleans and take off the next day while the westbound does not stay the night there. :blink: So is Amtrak leaning towards just cutting the route in 2 and giving the NO-Orlando train a different name? When will all this be implemented?

Also, there is probably a major reason for this that I don't know, but why can't the UP add a few more miles of sidings? Shouldn't be that expensive right?

And will the restructuring be permanent or temporary until delays are settled?

A lot of this is still hazy at this point because Amtrak hasn't fully announced its plans for the future of any service. The Palmetto cutoff has come from rumors among employees and logical reasoning. I've heard several scenarios as to what will happen, but can't reveal them. All I can say is, it'll be interesting.

battalion51 said:
A lot of this is still hazy at this point because Amtrak hasn't fully announced its plans for the future of any service. The Palmetto cutoff has come from rumors among employees and logical reasoning. I've heard several scenarios as to what will happen, but can't reveal them. All I can say is, it'll be interesting.
I am not tryin' to pick on you, bat51, but you probably know just about as much as the rest of "us" do (unless of course you are David Gunn's right hand man)! But when it comes to "logical reasoning," Amtrak most likely will do the exact opposite!!!! And you are right with this point, it will be "interesting!" :lol: :D

And on a serious note, there are many things/ideas/scenarios/situations, etc, I would share here on the forums, but I cannot do so without possibly putting my job on the line. And that I cannot take a chance on doing! :ph34r:

Well I'm wondering when these possible changes might occur because I'm planning on taking the train to Orlando for Christmas. Will it occur for the October schedule change? Will I need to spend the night in New Orleans? That's what I'm wondering.

Ben said:
Well I'm wondering when these possible changes might occur because I'm planning on taking the train to Orlando for Christmas. Will it occur for the October schedule change? Will I need to spend the night in New Orleans? That's what I'm wondering.
If you've already booked your travel, Amtrak will contact you regarding any changes. If not, you may want to wait until October, when the changes are announced. The new schedule goes into effect November 1.

rmadisonwi said:
Ben said:
Well I'm wondering when these possible changes might occur because I'm planning on taking the train to Orlando for Christmas.  Will it occur for the October schedule change?  Will I need to spend the night in New Orleans?  That's what I'm wondering.
If you've already booked your travel, Amtrak will contact you regarding any changes. If not, you may want to wait until October, when the changes are announced. The new schedule goes into effect November 1.
Just remember that waiting may increase the price you pay, especially if you want a sleeper. I'd book now if you are positive, and the wait and see what happens. If Amtrak changes things, then they can't charge you a penalty for printing new tickets.

If they rebook you onto another train, then they also have to honor the price bucket level that you got when you booked your trip.

This poll has also run it's course and has been up for the two week period. So I'll be unpining the topic tomorrow, assuming that I remember, so get your votes in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back