Freaking out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
I am scheduled to leave KIS on the Silver Meteor #98 next week. I will end up in DC, where I will connect with the Cardinal a few hours after my arrival in DC. Due to the track issue in NC, I've noticed that 98 has been getting into DC relatively late. Later than when the Cardinal is scheduled to come in. My question is: Will the Cardinal wait for 98 to arrive so I can connect, or will it go on without us if we are late? The next Cardinal doesnt come that way again for a few days (from what I understand).

So I'm kinda freaking out about whats gonna happen.

HELP!

I am scheduled to leave KIS on the Silver Meteor #98 next week. I will end up in DC, where I will connect with the Cardinal a few hours after my arrival in DC. Due to the track issue in NC, I've noticed that 98 has been getting into DC relatively late. Later than when the Cardinal is scheduled to come in. My question is: Will the Cardinal wait for 98 to arrive so I can connect, or will it go on without us if we are late? The next Cardinal doesnt come that way again for a few days (from what I understand).So I'm kinda freaking out about whats gonna happen.

HELP!
There are a few things they may do. Depending on how late 98 is, they may hold the Cardinal until 98 arrives. Or depending on how many passengers on 98 are going to be transferring to the Cardinal, they may pull you off before DC and put you on a bus that will take you to an Amtrak station on the Cardinal route, ahead of the Cardinal. Meaning the bus would "beat" the train to that particular station and you would catch the Cardinal there. Staying over night in DC probably would not be an option as the Cardinal only runs 3 days a week.

They should have the tracks fixed from the derailment long before you leave. However part of the problem isn't just that derailment, it's the climbing temperatures. After having caused a few Amtrak derailments thanks to CSX's poor track record for track maintenance, CSX has decided that whenever temperatures soar over 80 degrees, that all passenger trains must run 20 miles per hour slower than normal.

Freight trains of course can continue to run at normal speed, because they don't seem to care if they derail, but passenger trains can't run at normal speed. :unsure:

So those slower speeds are probably also partially responsible for the train's running late.

Now as other's have said, if you are too late, Amtrak will most likely consider bussing you to catch the Cardinal. Failing that, if your ultimate destination is Chicago, then they'd probably put you up in a hotel in DC for the night, then put you on the Capitol the next day. That could also happen if you are going to any station between Indianapolis and Chicago, as they'd put you on the Hoosier State out of Chicago.

If you are headed elsewhere, east of Indianapolis, then it's hard to say what they'd do at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak gives #98 fifty minutes between Alexandria and Wash DC which is normally a 20 minute trip - and you can always detrain at Alexandria since the Cardinal stops there at 11:29 am

There is a Thruway connecting bus for the Cardinal that leaves Richmond Amtrak at 12:00 noon, gets to Charlottesville at 1:30pm to meet the Cardinal at 1:55pm. With the Meteor due into Richmond at 3:50am, you could be 8 hours late and still be able to make your westbound Cardinal with no problem using the Richmond Thruway bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freight trains of course can continue to run at normal speed, because they don't seem to care if they derail, but passenger trains can't run at normal speed. :unsure:

Uh Alan, the freight trains are affected by the heat orders, too. I am not going to type out all of the factors involved, but they list them on our dispatcher messages we recieve prior to departure. To stay brief here, for example with our high priority trains such piggybacks that can run 70 mph where permitted then we are affected the same as Amtrak trains and have to reduce speed 20 mph below normal. If it is another train such as a coal, bulk mixed freight, etc. then we reduce speed in the heat order 10 mph. No train operates at less than 30 mph in a heat order unless another restriction or issue supersedes the heat restriction. Formally OBS...

So I'm kinda freaking out about whats gonna happen.HELP!

Well here's my two cents worth. You have been offered quite a few good ideas within this thread so far. You are just gonna have to relax now. There's no reason to be "freaking out" simply because there is nothing you can do, but to go on with your current plans. I have always suggested to passengers during my tenure at Amtrak to always have a back up plan in place to take care of you should things go awry. You may need to be creative and keep an open mind. It may not be cheap either. But I firmly stand on the necessity of one being able to handle a situation while traveling by implementing a backup plan to remedy the situation or at least make it easier to handle. This way you're at least taken care of on your own and not relying on the transportation provider. It is not just Amtrak, but with the airlines, car rentals, hotels, cruises, etc. I have learned to have a plan in place, and not soley rely on the business/ company your dealing with.

If it will make you feel better, however, as long as that connection is a "guaranteed connection" then it is up to Amtrak to provide you with the proper service for the situation. However, it is their call on what exactly they are gonna do. What if they were to put you in a hotel for the night for a missed connection? Do your travel plans allow, do I have to be home to go to work the next day, etc? These are the types of questions I feel everyone should address before traveling. I guess I am just seasoned, and saw a lot through a different view while at Amtrak. Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip. We would like to know how it went. Good luck. Formerly OBS....

Thanks for all the info guys! I hope that the train wont be that late that I miss the connection...would really like to tour DC. I hate taking busses (I travelled a lot in college and its gotten a little tedious). But all I can do now is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thanks for all your tips!

Thanks for all the info guys! I hope that the train wont be that late that I miss the connection...would really like to tour DC. I hate taking busses (I travelled a lot in college and its gotten a little tedious). But all I can do now is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Thanks for all your tips!

Your very welcome. Hope you enjoy your trip. With your good attitude your displaying with these comments, you'll be fine. Formerly OBS... B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back